Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Advice regarding a stroke victim and computer access..

Options
  • 07-03-2008 4:47pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, have a friend of a friend who is working with a stroke patient who has lost a lof of communication ability.

We're going to try him out with a laptop and see if he can grasp the keyboard/screen method of communicating but I was thinking that you guys might know of solutions off the top of your heads or have recommendations as to what to try.

This man is 50+ , has never used a computer before and has had multiple strokes but is cognitive and can understand speech and can draw on paper (he has use of one arm with good motor control in it).

Right now we are simply thinking in blue-sky terms because he is very frustrated not being able to communicate with his friends and family properly.

So, any advice on what we should start looking at?

DeV.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Suzybie

Devore are you thinking about a computer that speaks for him?

Have you looked at AssistIreland.ie for some ideas?

Also a referral to the CRC Assistive Technology crew maybe a good idea?

Suzy

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'm not really looking for anything specific at the moment, I'm kinda gathering jump-off-points (like the links you gave me) to see what "wheels" are out there before I go reinventing them...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Definitely get professional advice from a good OT or the CRC or similar. DIY doesn't really work for this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

I'm an OT and I actually did a placement up in CTS in CRC clontarf.

Can this person speak? Are you loking for a communicative device like an alpha smart or do you just want to enable access to a standard pc?

Does the person have any visual deficits like unilateral neglect, aphasia etc?

And how long are they after having a stroke..A person's likely to recover up to 6 months after a CVA (stroke) and then the progress is much slower. They should be recieving speech language therapy/ occupational therapy and physio ..if you want you can send me a pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 wishingwell

The National Learning Network, facilitates people with disabilities in learning. They have an I.T by distance learning course, they supply the laptop or PC with whatever the person needs to be able to use it, and a personal tutor calls into them once a week. They are all over Ireland, give them a ring.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ok, I got roped into this by a good mate who reckons that I "know about those computer yokes". There is a connection to a nursing home where a friend of his helps the person who had the stroke and is looking for advice on how to improve his quality of life etc. I will get all this back to him and see what the answers are and perhaps shuttle some more questions back. Thanks for the help so far... bbiab!

DeV.

Advertisement