Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leave us be!

Options
  • 07-03-2008 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Yesterday I had a day day in work ... and my 25k cycle home didn't make me feel any better ... for once.

Cycling through the park, kids pulling faces at me, cause I guess I look funny with my gear... in town, twice, kids trying to 'scare' me off the bike as I was cycling past them, and a bit further, more kids playing at pushing the other on the road in front of me, of course that's so much fun ...

Until, clipped to my pedals I try to avoid them, and what next, I fall on the road and get run over by a 4x4 ... -> That didn't happen to me this time but it's bound to happen sooner or later ...

On that note ... have a nice weekend ... and stop at lights ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Moral of the story? Kids suck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

I sympathise - fighting the urge to run them down is an almost daily battle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 frenchie091

Was cycling home in Drumcondra recently around 11pm, when two chicks in GAA jerseys who had just fallen out of the county colours night in Quinn's jumped out into the road and tried to push me off the bike! Luckily I saw them coming and managed to stay upright.

It must be a similar primal impulse to the one that makes dogs chase cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Run into them. It's the only way they'll learn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

If you notice that kids are paying you attention to you, it is likely to be negative.

Take evasive action.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Go straight for them. It works for me. Screaming helps, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,976 ✭✭✭✭Stark

This thread brings back memories of cycling through Rathmines with drunk people jumping out at me and shouting "taxi!" and the like... One of the reasons why I cycle well away from the kerb when it's after hours and there are no cars looking to overtake me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

roadmanmad wrote: »
    If you notice that kids are paying you attention to you, it is likely to be negative.

Take evasive action.
    I have found the best course of action with kids like this is to look straight at them with a "if you dare, I'm going to fúck you up" face. Worked with me recently with an proposed aimed beer can (the face and a gesture made them drop it.) I have a theory it may also work with small dogs, there is one one my route I am waiting to try it on ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 BlackMirror

Holy crap! In America, we deal wtih jackass drivers, but never jackass pedestrians.

OK, in America I guess we don't really have much pedestrian traffic. And people drive to the bars when they want to get drunk. So most of the pedestrians we do have are sober.

Is it legal in Ireland to take the traffic lane in the road? I can't imagine that cars in most Irish cities go much faster than a person could easily cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

don't entirely know what you mean by 'traffic lane', but if you mean 'where the cars go' then yes, we are allowed. most cyclelanes in dublin are of dubious legality anyway. pedestrians are a nuisance here, usually accidentally as we have narrow roads with narrow paths ('sidewalks') so they tend spill of the curb. on the upside we're slightly less likely to have people in cars constantly shouting "get a car" at us.

the dead eye glare is a very useful weapon in dealing with those considering mischief. i try to wordlessly convey the message "i will kick you in the face and keep going if you decide to be a dickhead". most people get it. the message i mean, not the kick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

"i will kick you in the face and keep going if you decide to be a dickhead". [/quote]
    ... Maybe I should try that as I am not very convincing when I go ' Excuse me ...? Can you move...? ' with a stupid grin on my face ...

Oh yeah, another rant --> Fecking BMX Teenagers who always take off before you at the traffic light and that you end up being stuck behind all the way home ... ARGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I think girls have a harder time of it. My girlfriend, who would be quite petite, has had all manner of things hurled at her, both verbal (compliments on her bottom) and physical (cans, ice-cream, etc.) Generally from young males in the passenger/back seat of a car. She called the Gardai on her mobile after one of these incidents and they actually put out an "calling all cars" type alert and pulled over the perpetrators a few minutes later (honestly, I was amazed by this.) The garda in question apparently scared the shít out of them, involved their parents and told them to expect a summons; she didn't think it necessary to press charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I haven't been on my bikes in a while ,but I must look scarey or something.
    Even the scariest of characters get out of my way and try and say hello :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

blorg wrote: »
    I think girls have a harder time of it. My girlfriend, who would be quite petite, has had all manner of things hurled at her, both verbal (compliments on her bottom) and physical (cans, ice-cream, etc.) Generally from young males in the passenger/back seat of a car.
    I have had that too especially in the summer time... guys chatting me up or taking the piss from their their car ... and when there's a bit of traffic it's even worse because they tend to catch up at the lights ... very annoying ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Cycling down the Grand Canal a few years ago (on the road btw) a few young fella's fishing threw an eel at me. Bloody thing ended up hanging on the handlebars, scared the daylights out of me. Could have been worse, but it's making me smile right now.

I did get off my motorbike once and slap one little b*llocks in the mouth for nearly knocking someone over in traffic with a snowball. But when you are dressed up like Darth Vader you do give off a more of a bad mother vibe...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

studiorat wrote: »
    Bloody thing ended up hanging on the handlebars, scared the daylights out of me.
    The eel probably wasn't too pleased either.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZcShjuOG_l8

need sound on to fully appreciate

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I have had hassle from scummers before, maybe its because I look like a garda with my gear on. They back away when you reach for the 2kg plated cable that I have across my shoulder. The most annoying is the tossers that shout from cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZcShjuOG_l8

need sound on to fully appreciate

Haaaaaaaaa!!!!!

Puck the head 'e ye!!!

I'm sorry Judge I was in shock when I stood on his neck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

"There's a Garda in da flatssss"

One of the wierder things I've heard. He sort of sang it at me as I went by him. I'm not a Garda. Happened today somewhere in the inner city.

I don't get too much abuse. I'm fairly big (well I'm tall, not big) and usually angry looking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement