Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPS / Fedex / DHL "Processing Fee"

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I have found that DHL are far better than UPS when it comes to customs charges.
    DHL only charge an administrative fee of ~€1 whereas UPS charge over €16.
    UPS also use poor exchange rates and seem to charge VAT on the whole freight cost whereas DHL only charge from the point of entry into the EU.
    I try to avoid UPS whenever I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

EDO wrote: »
    as a shipping manager and customs compliance officer in my employment, is not dutiable if listed separately and clearly defined as carriage - however if the exporter is lazy and lumps it all into one amount. - then you will be charged duty on it and then VAT of 21% on top of that if is chargeable.
    I thought it was charged to stop the loophole that ebay sellers use (and which ignorant ebay buyers go mental about, even though they end up getting stuff cheaper:rolleyes:)- the trick of overvaluing postage costs so they can offer the goods cheaper.

This is an email I sent
    tocustomsreliefs@revenue.ie,

dateTue, Nov 28, 2006 at 6:51 PM
    subjectDuty on mail order goods.
    mailed-bygmail.com

hide details 11/28/06 Reply

Hello,
    I was reading on revenue.ie which stated

"Consignments not exceeding a value of €22 may be imported from
    outside the EC without payment of import charges."

Does this €22 include the price of the postage? i.e. I am looking to
    get a DVD from the US, the DVD is only valued at $5 but express
    delivery is $45, so would I be charged duty on this?

Thanks

The reply
    Good morning,

Please see the attached leaflets.

I can confirm the value for Customs purposes is the CIF price, Cost,
    Insurance and Freight.

If there is anything further please get back to me.

Regards,

Maria

Customs
    Office of the Revenue Commissioners
    Nenagh
    Co. Tipperary

The attached files were http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/leaflets/pn1882.htm
    which mentions
    The value of the goods for the purposes of charging customs duty is calculated on the price paid or payable for the goods plus the cost of transport (including postage), insurance and any loading or handling charges associated with the delivery of the goods into the EC.

http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/leaflets/pn1179.htm

As I previously said I have been charged duty for post on occasion, and not on other occasions.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

rubadub wrote:
    As I previously said I have been charged duty for post on occasion, and not on other occasions.

You got lucky on other occasions!

Advertisement