Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi8 Video Player

• 07-03-2008 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi

I am in the process of trying to acquire a Hi8 Video Player as I have a few Hi8 cassettes I wish to convert to DVD. Is it possible to purchase them in the Republic of Ireland.

If so how much ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Cliona Mac S

I would suggest to get a Digital 8 Sony camcorder which can also convert your Hi8 tapes to Digital. Try Argos or online shops for special offers. You can then edit your films, if you like. Digital8 camcorders have come down in price alot recently. Even though i use a more professional format now, I bought a Digital 8 recently as I have old 8mm, Hi8 and Digital 8 tapes. I still use the camera which is lovely, quick and easy and the quality comparable to DV.

Cliona

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 BigJosephGray86

Hi Cliona

Thanks for reply. Will the Sony Camcorder you mention plug into the video input of a dvd recorder or will it only play on a TV.

Thanks for help with this. Much appreciated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Cliona Mac S

Hi Big Joseph,

Hi 8 is an analogue format, so in order to digitize it, you can use the Digital 8 (which reads both analogue and digital) and put out your material digitally via Firewire to a computer, preferably a Mac (iMovie is easy to understand and saves alot of time). Then you can burn your movie onto a DVD (with the computer).
    If your DVD recorder has a Firewire input that should work too. However, you can't edit anything out that way.
    In order to watch your video on a TV you need to output it via AV cables (not digital, just analogue).
    There are different Digital 8 cameras on the market now. Best decide what you want to do, and then check your input/outputs.
    Many cameras only have USB2 these days, however I would recommend Firewire which is faster and many editing applications only work with Firewire.

Cliona

Advertisement