Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking to import family cars?

Options
  • 07-03-2008 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Been reading through the various threads here with interest. Now I'm just the kind of person that views a car as a means of getting from A to B, but also like to keep it relatively clean etc. Anyhow, I'm in need of changing the family fleet (2) of cars and with all the changes regarding the VRT/Tax in July hope to hold off importing til then.

First is the large family car. I'll be using it for the daily (65+ miles) commute to work so am looking for a diesel. So in terms of reliability, I'm considering a Mazda6 no older that 2005 (i think that was the last model change until this year?). Again have read to consider the touring trim.

Now the other half is looking for a mid-size car for her daily run around, work, kids, shopping etc. So for the same reasons as above I'm asking her to look at the mazda3. As for age, probably something between 2002-2005 range. What sort of version for the 3 was out then or was it still the 323? Because this car wont be doing near the same mileage, should I ignore getting it as a diesel? and stay with petrol when importing from the UK? would I be wasting money getting it as a diesel?

And finally, I've been reading up able the likes of http://www.ukcars.ie who source, check the car, register and deliver the car to you as I doubt I have the time to head across the water to inspect the cars and also because I wouldn't know what to look for even if I did. I'm awaiting a reply from them, but their costs aren't transparent from their website, are they built into the price of the car?

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks
    W.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 APMom

Hi, I've just had a look at that website and they seem a bit pricey. I was looking at Northern Ireland websites for Vauxhall Zafiras today and they were much cheaper and all the sites give a link to the ROS to check how much the VRT is. On the site you were on it says their prices exclude VRT. At the moment the exchange rate is great for us so would probably work out cheaper for you to do it yourself through the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Be aware that recent changes to the 'new' rules mean that any pre-2008 imported (From July on) will not qualify for the new road tax rates. It will qualify for the new VRT rates though.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

esel wrote: »
    Be aware that recent changes to the 'new' rules mean that any pre-2008 imported (From July on) will not qualify for the new road tax rates. It will qualify for the new VRT rates though.

I think the Jury is still out on this, I may be wrong but as far as I know Gormley hasn't yet made a decision on the road tax element.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

APMom wrote: »
    Hi, I've just had a look at that website and they seem a bit pricey. I was looking at Northern Ireland websites for Vauxhall Zafiras today and they were much cheaper and all the sites give a link to the ROS to check how much the VRT is. On the site you were on it says their prices exclude VRT. At the moment the exchange rate is great for us so would probably work out cheaper for you to do it yourself through the north.

Are there any links on this forum for such NI websites? so I can do a comparison?

Thanks

W.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

• Advertisement
Advertisement