Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox 360 60GB version & New SKU

• 07-03-2008 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭

Just saw this report.

Following my outing of the 16GB iPhone I have once again have attained from a rock solid source that Microsoft WILL be replacing the 20GB hard drive on the standard Xbox 360 with a larger 60GB version. Dates are not nailed down, but my source says Microsoft wants it done and dusted before the end of its financial year which translates as our Q2.

Interestingly the company is also toying with the idea of introducing a new 360 SKU and given that hard drive and connectivity variations are already covered it would seem that the most logical conclusion is a model with a built-in Blu-ray drive. An external drive makes sense too, but with the format war over it wouldn't explain Microsoft's hesitation and while it goes against the company line that the 360 is primarily a games console (verses the PS3's media centre ambitions) the collapse of HD DVD may well mean it at least wishes to give users the option. Tying this all up neatly is news that Microsoft is known to currently be in discussions with Sony.

At this stage how all these moves will affect the Arcade is unknown. A price cut is widely rumoured to be coming this month but - at least for now - it is unlikely to also be the beneficiary of a hand-me-down 20GB hard drive.

Back to certainties however, so let me tell you this: if you've been saving up for a 20GB Xbox 360 hold off. The 60GB model IS coming and you can take this exclusive to the bank...

http://www.trustedreviews.com/gaming/news/2008/03/07/EXCLUSIVE-60GB-Xbox-WILL-Replace-20GB-Model/p1

60GB HDD is nice but the possible inclusion of a Blu-Ray drive would be great but only if they reduce the noise of the machine.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Price cut for the arcade in Europe was already confirmed a few days ago and Sony have confirmed they are in talks with Microsoft about a Blu-ray player, hinting it would be internal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Sorry if there is a thread for this (I did search). But when is the 60 GB released in Ireland?

I'm thinking of trading my 20 GB in when it does.

Cheers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I thought the 60GB xbox was common knowledge? its to tie in with the new Dashboard release next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

faceman wrote: »
    I thought the 60GB xbox was common knowledge? its to tie in with the new Dashboard release next year

I resurrected an old thread (rather then start a new one). So the posts above mine are old.

Understand the new 60GB SKU was released in the states 2 weeks ago, does it have a release date here?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

^ sorry my bad. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

grizzly wrote: »
    does it have a release date here?
    Friday (15/08/08).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

Anyone know yet if Gamestop will be doing a trade in against this like they do with the elite? Ya know, trade in a pro and pick up an Elite for €200.

Think I'd be fine with a 60gb hd rather than a 120gb, especially if the trade in value is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

saw today in gamestop they have the 120gb hdd on sale for €125 so it might be worth buying that instead of a trade in depending on how much they charge you

I'm really just looking for a trade in though cause my launch xbox is well out of warranty and I just want to be in the clear if anything should happen. Rather it be gamestop's problem than mine. You get €150 off an elite when you trade in a pro.

Although with the new 60gb SKU, which goes for the same price as a pro, there has to be a little price drop on the elite.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Out of interest any news on the blu-ray?

• Advertisement

kearnsr wrote: »
    Out of interest any news on the blu-ray?

Doubt that'll happen, this generation anyway. The next MS console must have it, or maybe something even bigger and better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

All I'd like from Microsoft is a silent or quieter xbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

whats an Sku?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    whats an Sku?

Stock Keeping Unit
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stock_Keeping_Unit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

DingDong wrote: »
    All I'd like from Microsoft is a silent or quieter xbox.
    Once the Autumn Update comes out, you'll be able to "install" (i.e. copy) games to the HDD. If the disc doesn't spin, it should make it quieter. Not sure if the fans will still be noisy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Once the Autumn Update comes out, you'll be able to "install" (i.e. copy) games to the HDD. If the disc doesn't spin, it should make it quieter. Not sure if the fans will still be noisy.

There is a video of that doing the rounds on the web IIRC. Anybody care to provide a link?

Advertisement