Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got a bit of a shock today....

• 07-03-2008 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭

Basically I had an eyetest and the prognosis was not good. My eyesight has disimproved since the last test I had (one of my eyes dropped from -5 to -5.75). However she said that it's reverable. I have to really look after my eyes from now on, that includes less time on the pc, eye break every hour, stop rubbing my eyes and general lifestyle changes (look after myself better - bed earlier etc). Laser treatment is out of the question for the moment due to the cost.

In the meantime, is there any vitamins I can take that will stimulate repair? Or any other methods out there to stimulate eye regeneration? Any comments would be welcome.

P.S - I don't want medical advise just a few tips and pointers as to what's out there that can help.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Basically I recommend the 20:20:20 rule for VDU use. That means after 20minutes of working on the computer take a break and look at something 20 feet away for 20 seconds eg try to read something on a poster across the room or something like that. A break every hour must be a break from close work so going for coffee and reading a magazine or newspaper isnt a break

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lola_run

stepbar wrote: »
    Basically I had an eyetest and the prognosis was not good. My eyesight has disimproved since the last test I had (one of my eyes dropped from -5 to -5.75). However she said that it's reverable. I have to really look after my eyes from now on, that includes less time on the pc, eye break every hour, stop rubbing my eyes and general lifestyle changes (look after myself better - bed earlier etc). Laser treatment is out of the question for the moment due to the cost.

In the meantime, is there any vitamins I can take that will stimulate repair? Or any other methods out there to stimulate eye regeneration? Any comments would be welcome.

P.S - I don't want medical advise just a few tips and pointers as to what's out there that can help.

Did you get your pupils dilated for the exam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭[WoW]

do you wear lenses? my eyes are about -8.5:eek: and im now not supposed to wear my lenses for at least 2 days a week to give my eyes a rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lola_run

[WoW] wrote: »
    do you wear lenses? my eyes are about -8.5:eek: and im now not supposed to wear my lenses for at least 2 days a week to give my eyes a rest.

that's quite a very strong prescription. do you get your pupils dilated when you go for an eye exam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

There's screens and things you can get for the pc to make it less damaging to your eyes. don't know where to get it though, sorry. Does rubbing your eyes affect them in a negative way? I rub my eyes all the time and my perscription hasn't changed in at least six years, maybe longer. Is it only in some cases?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

I was told to start taking Ocuvite...you can get it in any chemist, check with pharmacist as I know its good for the macula part of the eye but not sure for the overall health of your eye there mightbe something better.

Advertisement