Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Sligoians Have The Worst Accent In Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yes, oh go yes!
    Scraggs wrote: »
    I love the Sligo accent! Happy out, hey :)

Finally, things are coming up almightycushion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

Yes, oh go yes!
    Surely the Cork accent is the worst in Ireland. Even if you remove the arrogance and smugness of their general message, their voices are still hideous to the normal human ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭36Degrees

Yes, oh go yes!
    wicklow accents are awful.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yes, oh go yes!
    There is no Sligo accent. There is scumbag and generic Irish accent which doesn't allow poeple to be able to tell where you are from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

There is no Sligo accent. There is scumbag and generic Irish accent which doesn't allow poeple to be able to tell where you are from.
    kinda true, some of your ransboro neighbours have awful culchie accents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

MooseJam wrote: »
    no knacker dubs do

I wholeheartedly concur, the Northside knacker's accent with it's lazy nasal drone is the wost I have EVER heard.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yes, oh go yes!
    JIZZLORD wrote: »
    kinda true, some of your ransboro neighbours have awful culchie accents

I wouldn't have associated with them before, I doubt you would be able to tell they were from rural Sligo when listening to them.

I've yet to meet somebody that could say I was from Sligo, or even guess that I was from any County.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yes, oh go yes!
    I've yet to meet somebody that could say I was from Sligo, or even guess that I was from any County.
    Same as.. i've a very non-descript accent to be honest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

I wouldn't have associated with them before, I doubt you would be able to tell they were from rural Sligo when listening to them.

that's odd as you sound a lot like your brother o.0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Townies, the lot of ye.

• Advertisement

Yes, oh go yes!
    that's odd as you sound a lot like your brother o.0

I use bigger words. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Yes, oh go yes!
    takola wrote: »
    Exactly!

*Looks for Hail* :D

Ah it depends which part you're in! Certain areas are fairly brutal.

Shhhhhad up!

<_<

>_>

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Yes, oh go yes!

QFT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Mangy_Cat

Not very familiar with the Shligo accent. Wa day on way down country, stopped in Wexford petrol station to get a sangwich... Well, it was an experience to be sure. The wan behind the counter pure Irish thoroughbred but spoke a foreign language. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Ah-Lone locals are fair bad.

Same with Ra- Hangin in Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Yes, oh go yes!
    That's enough out of you!

How the hell do you prounouce early Tara? :eek:
    Shhhhhad up!

<_<

>_>

I rest my case! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Yes, oh go yes!
    Most people here have got to be from dublin, i thought everyone was agreed that its the worst accent in Ireland. In fact i dont like any leinster accent with the exception of parts of killkenny. I also dont like Waterford accents. Lot of people giving out about the cork accents but arent they watered down versions of a kerry accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭indieJones

Yes, oh go yes!
    Have to say the worst accent in the Ireland is South Dublin/Wicklow. It just sounds so fake and pretentious. At least the more "difficult" accents of North Dublin, Cork etc don't sound put on.

Yes, oh go yes!
    takola wrote: »
    How the hell do you prounouce early Tara? :eek:

I pronounce the a, unlike everybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭flynnser19

Damn Jackeens!
    scum bag dublin, drogheda and cavan all terrible!!!!
    i live in dundalk and the dundalk townie accent is the wordt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Yes, oh go yes!
    the title of the worst accent in Ireland is exclusively reserved for Dubs, in all its horrible mutations. end of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Rossibaby

I use bigger words. :p

are ya startin'???:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Damn Jackeens!
    That is a Sligo TOWN accent. The country accent is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Damn Jackeens!
    i never say boooooook, probably did when i was in primary school

Boooooook makes phonetic sense, otherwise it would be buck. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Damn Jackeens!
    Galway / Mayo - sounds like Brad Pitt in Snatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Gotta be that horrible piercing whine that is the Cork accent.

Yes, oh go yes!
    Rossibaby wrote: »
    are ya startin'???:D

Yes brother dearest, I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

At least the Dundalk accent is a proper distinctive accent, not like that horrible fusion of the worst elements of both Dublin and country accents that you get alot in Drogheda and in many parts of Meath.

If you're not convinced, go to rte.ie and search for Richard Dowling (from Athboy). How he got a broadcasting job is beyond me.

My top 3: Drogheda
    Navan
    Any drunken Cork accent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

Yes, oh go yes!
    Essexboy wrote: »
    That is a Sligo TOWN accent. The country accent is different.

well I gat a rail Ssssligo towen axent man, An if ya do-int like it I'll burst yer snot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Worst accent is Ardee.

Just...

Imagine someone saying "Ardee" in an Ardee accent... it's impossible to get this across in text. It is Ardee though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Karlusss wrote: »
    Worst accent is Ardee.

Just...

Imagine someone saying "Ardee" in an Ardee accent... it's impossible to get this across in text. It is Ardee though.
    I have heard it.:eek:

Advertisement