Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Sligoians Have The Worst Accent In Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Yes, oh go yes!
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    Probably? So you don't actually know? Then how can you judge? Lol

I wouldn't laugh. It is scary that ignorance like that exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Damn Jackeens!
    The Sligo town accent really does get on my tits.

I try my best to avoid it like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Yes brother dearest, I am.

oooo domestic!

I've met plenty of people from sligo and i'd have to agree with whats been said here before, i wouldn't be able to pin them to any particular county.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Carol_1985

I have to say Dubs have the worst accents, by a country mile!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Rossibaby

Yes brother dearest, I am.

i'll dance on your face:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yes, oh go yes!
    Arts students scare me. :pac:

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

The only word I noticeably changed pronunciation of when I left Sligo due to slagging is 'book'. Rural Sligo accents are far from offensive sounding though I would imagine. Sligo town accent though, like a lot of built up area accents such as Limerick city accent, and Cork Inner city one as well, are particularly bad, along with the obvious knacker dub accent that assails my ears so regularly. My poor ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Yes, oh go yes!
    Hmmm.. Are you not supposed to pronounce the a in early? I've always pronounced it airlee? :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yes, oh go yes!
    I say that yes, although it might be more like earlee. most people sas erlee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Yes, oh go yes!

Oh no! I don't want to be like you!! :eek: :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Damn Jackeens!
    Ah crap, I misread the poll and voted 'yes'. There's worse accents than a Sligo accent, inner city Dublin and stereotypical Northern Irish ones spring to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

I get a lot of comments about my accent in Uni, like everyday. Everyone thinks im from the North and everyone first guess is that im from Donegal:eek:. Like on Thursday night two girls from Wexford I was talking to said to me they "OMG I loved your accent" then they asked me where I was from I told them to guess they start off with Scotland (which was a first) then they named all the counties in the North and then one of my mates tells them the "Wee County" and they got it.

When people think of Dundalk accent they think of the scumbag one, which is one that makes me cringe everytime I hear it on tv ect.

I have to say I do like the D4 and Northern accents.

But my top 5 would be:
    Scumbag Drogheda
    Scumbag Dublin
    Really raw Mayo
    Cavan
    Scumbag Dundalk

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Yes, oh go yes!
    Volvoboy wrote: »
    Had a chat with a Sligoan today, an experence if nothing else.

Your view,

Is there worse than the Shhligoo accent?

-VB-

No better or worse than any other Irish accent really. But there are different parts of Sligo, and towards the north it becomes more like Donegalese, and towards the south it becomes like Longford/Westmeath-ish.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Yes, oh go yes!

Er-lie, as in "What shall we do with the drunken sailor, er-lie in the mornin'?"

That do be the good way of talkin' it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

I can't believe th!s thread is still popular

• Registered Users Posts: 82,973 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

wouldnt it be 'Sligonian'?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yes, oh go yes!
    Overheal wrote: »
    Yep, said this early into the thread alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

The only accent that has actually ever annoyed me is the Cork accent. It's absolutely horrific.

Any country girls putting on an accent they got from Ross O'Carroll Kelly books are hilarious though, they don't seem to realise how retarded they sound and yet they're everywhere.

The strong Dublin accents aren't nice either but certainly aren't the worst, but are definitely up in the top few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Damn Jackeens!
    well I gat a rail Ssssligo towen axent man, An if ya do-int like it I'll burst yer snot!

Wot? you will travel over from Salford or some hole like that?:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Yes, oh go yes!
    No, not even close.

I find some north inner city dublin accents would cause my ears to bleed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Overheal wrote: »
    I prefer Sligwegian myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Mweelrea

Yes, oh go yes!
    Sligo's accent is grand,
    Kerry's is just plain wrong as is Cavan's
    Cavan people couldn't pronounce CA if they're lives depended on it, it just comes out as a kya sound eg: kyavan kyar etc... *shudders*:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Kildare and Wexford. Especially Wexford. Not only is it inhabited by sweaty kiddy-fiddling priests but the way people from Wexford say Saturday upsets me tbh. SAA-URRR-AYYYY:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

Yes, oh go yes!
    Eeaaaiiiirrrrrkleeeeeaaaaauuuuwwwww [Arklow] is by far the worst imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Yes, oh go yes!
    Sligo, beautiful place, great people (well, except for maybe Miss Chambers but that's something else entirely!). Only been in Sligo town once so can't make too much comment on it but the county accent is grand.

Worst accent has to be a toss-up between North Dublin and Mid-North Antrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

gotta be any louth accent, that horrible drawling sound. And as someone said, they do sound a bit simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

wexford by a nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭topday

Damn Jackeens!
    eamoss wrote: »
    I get a lot of comments about my accent in Uni, like everyday. Everyone thinks im from the North and everyone first guess is that im from Donegal:eek:. Like on Thursday night two girls from Wexford I was talking to said to me they "OMG I loved your accent" then they asked me where I was from I told them to guess they start off with Scotland (which was a first) then they named all the counties in the North and then one of my mates tells them the "Wee County" and they got it.

When people think of Dundalk accent they think of the scumbag one, which is one that makes me cringe everytime I hear it on tv ect.

I have to say I do like the D4 and Northern accents.

But my top 5 would be:
    Scumbag Drogheda
    Scumbag Dublin
    Really raw Mayo
    Cavan
    Scumbag Dundalk

A small minority of Dundalk accents would be like yours - the majority of people in Dundalk speak with a hard DUNDAALK accent. Drogheda is the same – In Drogheda town you have the hard town sound and 5 mins from town mainly the South Side of Drogheda the accents starts to blend and become a lot softer and pronounced. I think Louth in general have a strong accent and this goes right back to the Gaelic language….

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I'm not a fan of the Wicklow accent. It sounds very "insolent".:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Yes, oh go yes!
    i like the sligo accent..especially when they say water.i think its gas

Advertisement