Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Sligoians Have The Worst Accent In Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Mehh

Roight well, the worst has to be the Dublin south side accent, Hiberno-english drivel. It does my head in.

Gimme a sligo accent or a north side one anyday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭July

Yes, oh go yes!
    The worst comes from Dublin knackaaaaarssssss buuuuuudd..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

I think the Donegal accent's the worst, I can't understand most of them! Atleast with the Cork accent I had some clue as to what they are trying to say! :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Yes, oh go yes!
    Anywhere in Louth qualifies as the worst accent in my book. Ran into a friend from Drogheda that I hadn't seen in ages the other day, I'd really forgotten what a brutal accent she has. Lovely girl, just painful to listen to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 mayoimafriad

Damn Jackeens!
    im from mayo, went to college in sligo for 4 years and i think the sligo accent is ****in cruel! especially the real townie accent that all the town scobies speak wiht! its like half culchie/half dublin accent! but to be fair not all sligo town people have this accent, there is a huge contrast! there is a posh accent also but rare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

Yes, oh go yes!
    don't think I ever heard a sligo accent? cork is surely the worst though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Haven't read through this thread but for me it's the Carlow, sorry, 'Carla' accent.
    'Jaysus lad, that's a quare savage Starlet'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

Raspberry wrote: »
    Pretty much everyone in Ireland outside of Dublin sounds the same. Bogger accents are terrible.

within Dublin, there are a variety of accents, from inner city to north county Dublin, and last but not least, the affected South Dublin snobs accent... in the words of O'Carrol Kelly, 'roysh' and 'markeshing'...
    so...... are you trying to tell us that everyone in Dublin sounds the same? I know you dont... roysh! royh, or whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Yes, oh go yes!
    Absolutely nothing worse than the Limerick City 'scumbag' accent*

Anyone who's familiar with it will agree with me.

*FACT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

Damn Jackeens!
    the sligo town scobie accent is pretty bad but you wont come across it often unless you spend a lot of time there. They seem to drag out anything with 2 sylabals .hey peeaaadaaar when are we heading back to shhhllliiiigooo???? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

Yes, oh go yes!
    bobmalooka wrote: »
    the sligo town scobie accent is pretty bad but you wont come across it often unless you spend a lot of time there. They seem to drag out anything with 2 sylabals .hey peeaaadaaar when are we heading back to shhhllliiiigooo???? :D

hey see you ill get me mudder nd me fadder to bayte D shyte aya , ya no wat i mean like?

Town accident can be fairly bad alright its not as bad as the likes of Dublin or Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Yes, oh go yes!
    I know about 4 people from Sligo and they all have different accents to me. So, no idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

strongr wrote: »
    its not as bad as the likes of Dublin

Careful now!

Yes, oh go yes!
    Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Careful now!

go on big fella ill take ya down a few feet in july

/from the safety of my own home over the keyboard that is. or better yet ill set shane on ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Shane is from 3/4 streets over from me, he shall be on my side. You can have lady Tar Aldarion as he's from your bog town.

We win.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭wexican

Yes, oh go yes!
    is wexford really that bad?!!

i absolutely hate the cork accent, or any midlands accent - you know the real flat-nondescript-where-the-hell-are-you-from kind?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

Yes, oh go yes!
    wexican wrote: »
    is wexford really that bad?!!

i absolutely hate the cork accent, or any midlands accent - you know the real flat-nondescript-where-the-hell-are-you-from kind?

wexford tow-in is anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

i think the sligo accent is kinda cute :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭flas

any cork person trying to get their point across is awful...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭evogirl

Raspberry wrote: »
    Pretty much everyone in Ireland outside of Dublin sounds the same. Bogger accents are terrible.
    its the opposite for me. dont mind any accent in the country but the dublin one just drives me nuts. i cant stand it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

The Dubs win the ALL Ireland Trophy in this competition.

Dublin FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Subotai

The Wexford Town accent is without a doubt the worst accent in Ireland! You get headaches from prolonged exposure!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

Yes, oh go yes!
    Without doubt, the Wexford accent is horrific!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭tolteq

MooseJam wrote: »
    no knacker dubs do

LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭ratsam

Yes, oh go yes!
    A bad Drogheda accent is the worst in my opinion.... its like a mix between a Dundalk and Dublin accent... really bad.....! And I'm from Drogheda...!!!!!!! :D

Rats

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

topday wrote: »
    A small minority of Dundalk accents would be like yours - the majority of people in Dundalk speak with a hard DUNDAALK accent. Drogheda is the same – In Drogheda town you have the hard town sound and 5 mins from town mainly the South Side of Drogheda the accents starts to blend and become a lot softer and pronounced. I think Louth in general have a strong accent and this goes right back to the Gaelic language….

I'm from Dundalk, I know the hard accent you mean. Like I hate when people pronounce the name 'Sonia' as 'sawnia'-that's real Dundalk..or 'sock' as 'sawk' -'where's me saaawks?':D. Scumbags in particular sound terrible. My grandmother was from Portadown, she hated the accent here, she pulled us up on it if we pronounced anything in the classic Dundalk way. There's a fairly high Northern influence here so it's diluting it a bit. The just over the border accents are nice, like Castleblayney..I know a fella from there, he had a lovely accent. I also like the Clare Accent, very nice. I hate Drogheda's...or the Mullingar area one. Lot's seem to hate Dublin's, I think it's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I just had to add, some Northern dialects are woeful. Orla from Big Brother's was disgusting, as is Nadine Coyle's....hideous!

Yes, oh go yes!
    Ann22 wrote: »
    , as is Nadine Coyle's....hideous!

well thats like a mix of American/northern. Id say she trys to put it on most of the time.

Yes, oh go yes!
    Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Shane is from 3/4 streets over from me, he shall be on my side. You can have lady Tar Aldarion as he's from your bog town.

We win.

Perfect **** the counter strike. Main event at lanparty.ie Tar and zone vs Kenny and shane

LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Irlbo

Blanchardstown:'so I was dowan da center and all loike and I seen Kayleigh pure metting this chunfella,pure wearing the head off em she was,the bleeding wet thing,and I was loike ya pure dirtbird ya',I rest my case

Advertisement