Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

License Agreement for accommodation sharing - advice needed

Options
  • 07-03-2008 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I am going to be renting out a room under the rent a room scheme in the next few weeks and I know that I need to give a formal agreement to the incoming tenant called a license, does any one here know where I should get this from. Any help in sourcing this will be much appreciated. Thanks David.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I am going to be renting out a room under the rent a room scheme in the next few weeks and I know that I need to give a formal agreement to the incoming tenant called a license, does any one he know where I should get this from. Any help in sourcing this will be much appreciated. Thanks David.

If you let a room under the rent-a-room scheme the person is living with you, in your house, "under licence". This does not mean that you have to draw up a "licence"- its simply a term thats used. That person has no rights under tenancy laws, and any agreement drawn up between you and he should not impart any rights to him/her. The agreement that you draw up should simply list what can/can not be done, (e.g. no guests without getting your prior agreement, no smoking in the house, no late music, room and bathroom to tidied and left presentable, immersion heater to be turned off after use etc- you get the picture). You do *not* need to get a licence, as would be the case were the person renting the entire house.....

Perhaps some others might like to give you a few suggestions for your house rules here- but do not confuse these with giving the person a licence- they are rules of convenience for your sake.

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 davidtutty1970

Thanks for that, i thought it was a formal letter like a lease. Thanks. David.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

Thanks for that, i thought it was a formal letter like a lease. Thanks. David.

If you think the tenancy laws are bad, these licencee agreements just take the piss.

Basically, you can be turfed out on the street for no reason at all.

I'd steer well clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Talk to Threshold, but a standard pre-printed Rent Book and a set of rules is probably all that is really required.

Read up on the Rent-a-Room scheme. The money isn't taxed, but you have to declare it. Bills, food, miscellaneous payments are included in the exemption limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

pre-printed rent book and rules might be desirable but are definitely not required.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

pre-printed rent book and rules might be desirable but are definitely not required.

Aren't rent books effectively redundant under the rent-a-room scheme? I don't think the "landlord" is required to keep one.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Maybe, but the idea is to keep things organised.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Do NOT use pre-printed rent books. These might imply a tenancy. There is no legal requirement for a written document. It might help in the event of a dispute but on the other hand it might make the relationship too formal and legalistic from the start. If you are not getting on with someone in the house they will have to go. there is no point in looking up your original agreement to see what behaviour is covered. It is wise to write out a receipt for the payments and specify how the rent is to be paid and with what frequency and list the bills that the lodger will be expected to contribute to. It is best to try and arrange payment after the lodger's payday. Make your views known about guests and use of facilities at the start. If things go wrong give one warning and then it is out they go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Cantab. wrote: »
    Aren't rent books effectively redundant under the rent-a-room scheme? I don't think the "landlord" is required to keep one.
    No rent books. However, the 'landlord' is required to provide receipts - but only if requested.

Advertisement