Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Checkout my drums cover of Meshuggah's Sane

• 07-03-2008 10:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭

I balls up a few parts, and finish the end early, since it's quite difficult, but it's the same 9/4 bar over and over so you get the picture. Playing 18 months

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

I was listening to the song just as I came across this thread by strange coincidence! I'm no drumming expert but it looked pretty damn good. Some of the double bass drum bits seemed a bit dodgey in places though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Yeah, the last beat is a tricky one, single 16ths dropped all over the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

the fact that you even tried that impresses me,really good effort as well man,nearly spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Also very impressive that you've only been playing 18 months. You getting lessons? How much do you practice?

I never had any lessons, I'm self taught. When I was starting out I spent around 30 minutes a day working on hands, just single strokes, double strokes, and different variations of paradiddles. I'd play drums as well then for around an hour a day. I got my double bass pedal about a month after I got my kit, I spent around an hour a day working on that. Eventually after about 7 months or so of just practicing roughly an hour a day I was able to play Dream Theater's The Glass Prison. (I never really learned many full songs, one or two easy megadeth/sonata arctica/opeth ones but that's about it). Then a couple weeks ago I started practicing 16th note syncopation and all that meshuggahy stuff (Also gavin harrison's (Porcupine Tree) book rhythmic illusions is really good for this stuff) and I learned autonomy lost, then went for sane.

So yeah, roughly an hour a day. But sometimes I'd only play 2 or 3 times a week, sometimes I'd do 2 hours a day for two weeks. The longest I went without practicing was only about 3 days I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Good effort dude. What make of kit are you u using and what is it connected to; desk, monitors? Massive sticks you're using there too.

Passenger wrote: »
    Good effort dude. What make of kit are you u using and what is it connected to; desk, monitors? Massive sticks you're using there too.

It's a millenium DD-502 (rebrand on thomann of this http://www.medeli.com.hk/products/dd/dd-502j.html) It's one of the cheapest electric kits on the market. But I'm not using the original brain, all the pads are plugged into an Alesis Trigger iO USB interface. Basically converts pad triggers to midi signals. That then goes into my laptop and runs through BFD Lite 1.5, very customisable and great sound even with my **** pads. So I can record through VSTi, no need for any line in's or anything.

The sticks are Vater 5A-XD Extreme or something. Like a kind of heavy 5A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,635 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

For 18 months playing , you have the majority of vital groundwork mastered. If you keep up the practise, you will be a kickass drummer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Sir, that is well impressive. ;)

Advertisement