Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What time does your alarm go off and what's your commute?

Options
  • 07-03-2008 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭SW81

I'm starting a new job next week. To get there for 9 I have to walk 15 minutes, get a 7.30 train, one hour train journey, then walk 20 minutes. Compared to a previous 10 minute walk to work. Oooh it's going to hurt! Anyway my alarm will be going off at 6.15 (I need that hour to wake up and get ready!), I can't wait! :rolleyes: I know it's not the worst commute in the world, I've heard of a lot worse but it's going to take some getting used to!

So ladies, what time does your alarm go off and what's your commute? If someone says 8.30 for a 9am start I'll thump them ha ha.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I used to work 3 doors from where I lived. In at 8:00, greet my boss, clipboard in hand, head to warehouse, out the back door and home for breakfast. Those were the days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭lezizi

I don't work :D I just have to get up at 10 to feed the baby, he is a great sleeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

My alarm goes off at 6.45am, I leave the house at 7.25 and get the bus at 7.30 or if I miss that 7.40. If traffic is not bad I am in work for 8.30 if not I'm in for 8.45, that's the time I start work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Bunnywabbit*

Well Monday to Friday, get up at 7 leave to walk to school at 8 get there at 8.30 for school ten minutes later.... usually late though :o

Saturdays get up at 7 to be ready for work at 9! :rolleyes:

Sundays....out the night before....get outa bed at 930, work for 10 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

alarm? what alarm - wake when I wake, fall out of bed and wander across the hall to my studio - Ah the joys of working from home lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I'm extremely lazy and love my sleep so don't judge me on this!

My alarm goes off at 7.40. I hit snooze repeatedly until 8.15. Then I jump out of bed, quickly wash and brush my teeth. Put the clothes on I've put out the night before and leave the house at 8.25. 10 minute walk and get on dart at 8.35, in work for 9.10, dart permitting.

I really hate getting up for work. Once I'm on the dart it's ok!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭SW81

ztoical wrote: »
    alarm? what alarm - wake when I wake, fall out of bed and wander across the hall to my studio - Ah the joys of working from home lol

I HATE YOU

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

SW81 wrote: »
    I HATE YOU

ah but theres a downside - working as freelance artists means I got go find work and I don't really have weekdays or weekends as I work 7 days and this week alone I pulled two all nighters to meet a deadline.......still I love it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

My alarm goes off at 6:55am. I turn on Morning Ireland and doze in bed for an hour. I get up at 8 and I'm out the door at 8:20. At my desk at 8:30.

If I am at home, alarm is 5.30, snooze a bit til 5.50 cos Im lazy, we all leave when they're finally ready at 6.30 to drive about 20 mins to bus, bus then takes, say, somewhere between 1.5 -2 hours.
    If I am staying with other family then it's up at 6.15-6.30 and in work by 8.15-830

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Todoquetengo

SW81 wrote: »
    If someone says 8.30 for a 9am start I'll thump them ha ha.

Sorry, i sometimes get up at 9 to be in for 9:30 :D the joys of being within walking distance of work. Will prob have to commute eventually and then it'll seriously hurt :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I get up at 6.15, into shower, brush teeth, towel and tie up hair, make up on, get dressed - that all happens in about 20-25 minutes. Leave house at 6.40, drive to work (short drive). Arrive at 6.55 on average. Work starts 7am, finishes 11.30am. Drive back home, have some lunch. Start other job (work at home) at around 1.30pm. Work until 6pm. Repeat ad nauseum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

If I'm in work for 5am I get up at 3.45, transport arrives at 4.30 and I'm in work by 4.45.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tuesday_Girl

If I'm going to the office I'll get up 1 hour before I need to be at work, if I'm working from home I'll roll out of bed, log on, check email, then fanny around for a while showering and getting breakfast before really starting work. I don't set an alarm, just get up when I wake :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

well alarm goes off just after 7 but i leave the house at 5 past 8 n generally roll out of bed around 20 to...takes around 30 mins to get to school but thats because of dublin traffic and getting off the bus to get sweets before class

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Alarm goes off at 8.20. Hit snooze until 9.20, fall out of bed and into clothes and out door by 9.35, in college for 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

alarm goes off at 6.30
    get up, get ready
    out the door at 7.20
    in school by 8

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭St Bill

Alarm goes off at 7.30, up 7.45. Shower, eat breakfast, put obligatory clothes on, out the door at 8.35 in school for 8.45.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭whatsgoinon

alarm goes off at 8.15, i get up at 8.56, roll out of bed into the clothes i laid out the night before, brush teeth and hair, a bit of moisturiser and into uni for 9.10. sometimes i get up a little earlier and have breakfast.

when i'm on placement, get up at 7.30, make more of an effort with my appearance, bus at 8, in school for 8.15

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Papillon87

Depends what time college starts at (diff start times every day). Only have one 9am start and that's Thursday... Have Fridays off :) . If I'm working early at the weekend I'm up at half five or 6am, depending on whether or not I plan to wash my hair/have breakfast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭DubLegs

Oh i'm terrible for snoozing!
    first alarm goes off at 5.45 - hit snooze repeatly til the second alarm at 7 then hit snooze again til i move my backside out of the bed at 7.40 - usual morning routine and leave the house and 8.30 for 9.30 start in work! Then finish at 6 and home for 7!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Alarm 5.40am
    'Do' things til about 6.30am.
    Back for a snooze.
    Up again for shower etc. after listening to 7.00am news.
    Leave house 7.30am.
    In work for just before 8.00am.
    Home about 5.00pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Usually (student!) just roll outta bed whenever I feel like it for classes...earliest is 11.15

This week though I've been working 12 hour shifts. 1.5 hours drive each way from home. So, up at around 4.45am, leave the house at 5.20-5.30, at work for 7am, work until 7pm, home by 8.30pm.
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭charba

House mates alarm goes off about 6am!!! It shakes the entire house. And he just keeps hitting snooze for around an hour. I just want to Kill him at the stage. I get up just after 7 and out the door by half 7. In town for 8.30ish. Work doesn't start til 9 so I'm always early

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Previous job - up at 8.10 (alarm set for 7.45), commute of 10 mins, work at 9.

Current job - if I'm in the office - up at (alarm for 8.10) 8.40, commute of 15-20 minutes, work at 9.30. If I'm working from home however, up at 9.15 (alarm for 8.55), switch phone and laptop on at 9.30!

Yet another previous job - up at 12, 5 minute walk to work for 1pm (was working later shifts, from 1-9.30pm).

However before this I had horrible commute times - up at 6.15am, bus (outside door luckily) at 6.30, journey lasted about 1hr 50 mins, another 10 minute walk to catch 2nd bus, run in the door of work for 9am. Not nice :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

Alarm goes off at 7.30, get up at 7.40 and into the shower, out of shower at 7.50, brush teeth, get dressed and in the car at 8.00, in college by 8.15 with my brekkie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

Alarm goes off at 0442, curse the world for being such a cruel place and snooze for 8mins. Then up, clothes on, hair and make-up and out the door at 0525. Drive to work 15mins and then ten min walk to office. Aim to be at desk for just before 6am to get handover from nightshift and bring myself up to speed on the current situations. Finish work at 2pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

I have to get the bus from Julianstown to Dublin and then walk from O Connell Street to the middle of O Connell Street!

Say if I'm in work for half eight then I'd get up at half six, get the bus at 7:20 and walk backwards up the street!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Up at 6:45 to 7am ish, lift to the train station at 7:30ish, train at 8am -- off the train ~9:10am, walk to work for 9:30am. Officially meant to be there at 9, but it's pretty flexible.

Home? Leave at 6:15ish, walk to the train for 7pm to battle for a seat (different station), off the train 7:40ish and home for 8pm...

almost 4 hours of commuting a day, so I think I'm going to have to move soon!!

But when I'm working abroad (few weeks out of every few months) it's pretty much 1 minute walk (living in the building) or at most a 15 minute walk when I'm in a hotel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Some of the start times on this thread are making me cringe...you poor poor people with your early starts :( It's making me curious to know what you all do though, what could possibly have you up at the ungodly hour of 4/5 am?!

My alarm goes off at 7.45, most of the time i'll hit it a bit until it shuts up and bury myself back into my duvet, them my mum will come upstairs at about 8am and try to coax me out of bed, then I roll out of bed sometime around ten past 8, have a shower and get dressed and am in school for usually 9:03 or 9:05 for my 9am start.

Advertisement