Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baths

Options
  • 07-03-2008 11:20pm
    Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭
    byte

I'm currently looking for a bath, but not a standard 1700 size. I'm looking for a 1600mm length bath.

I was wondering if it's OK to buy a bath in NI? Do they use different size fittings compared to here? The one I was looking at in B&Q is £185 plus £45 for side panel. It only has holes for waste and overflow hole.

But I was contemplating buying the taps there too, but will refrain if their fittings are not the same as this side of the border (imperial versus metric).

Is £185 a good price for a bath?

BTW, link

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I am not a plumber, but our building standards is completely based on british standards so i would be shocked if they were diffrent.

Did you try B&Q in the republic?

EDIT: Its an ok price alright, but it might be worth your while to try a few tile shops and the like, you might be able to get a good price if you get bath , taps and waste(everyone forgets about the waste!) altogether

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

The nearest B&Q to me is in Derry City (I'm in Donegal), so that's why I'm considering buying it there. The closest price I got this side of the border was €450 for a 1500mm bath. That said, I've only priced a few places over the phone so far.

Should have mentioned too, there is adpaters for all sizes of pipes, Even if they were diffrent sizes you wouldnt have a problem connecting them.

Pity , if you were in the midlands i would have been able to sort you out:p

The nearest B&Q in the republic is probably Athlone or Galway.... a bit of a spin!

Just looked at homebases website(sligo) They have nothing worth mentioning, only one that will fit... £500!

byte

£500! :eek:

Thanks for the help. It seems prices can get a bit OTT when looking for something that's not standard. €460 is the best price I can find for a 800x900 quadrant shower enclosure :( I'm half considering taking out the existing shower trays and replacing with a more standard size, though space is an issue...

sorry about how bitty my info is i'm just remebering some stuff from the good ol days of working in the tile shop!

Vouge Bathrooms we're good products and reasonably priced.

1500X700 Bath - €299

Thats there cat price, all shops selling it should be that price. I'll even let you in on a trade secret, there is room for bargaining in that too(they wont give you anything major off, but you might get up to 10% off). It still not as cheap as B&Q but it might save you hassle.

Here's the dealers in donegal

Is your shower tray in a corner or is it walled around it?

as in do you need a 900 door and 800 panel or just a 900 door?

Massive price diffrence between basic white plastic and chrome too btw

• Advertisement
    byte

Thanks for the info

WRT the shower tray, it's quadrant (quarter a circle) so in a corner, and needs those doors that have curved glass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MickLimk

Just a quick note on the fittings:

The waste etc. should be exactly the same as what you'd get south of the border as we both use metric waste. The usual difference between anything like that you get up north or in the UK is in the copper pipe sizes. They use metric sizes, 15mm instead of our half inch for example.

You may need an adapter when joining up to your Irish-sized piping if you buy taps up there too. It will depend on what way the pipes connect to that particular tap. For bath taps where there are two individual taps, it's usually just a threaded pipe that either a UK or Irish fitting will connect to with without any special fittings needed.

Even if it's some other kind of tap, it's not that big a deal at all to change over to Irish piping, usually just a matter of changing the olive and nut in a compression joint.

As an example -If you buy a Triton shower here, you are usually buying one that was manufactured for the UK market. This means that the input pipe for the water has a 15mm fitting. When selling to the Irish market, Triton include a copper elbow joint with the correct 15mm olive and nut for one side and an Irish Instantor 1/2" size for the other.

As I said, not a big deal and it mightn't even be necessary if you buy the correct tap!

@witnessmenow:
    FYI B&Q in the South stock exactly the same taps etc. as elsewhere, i.e. UK sizes. Their rest of their plumbing stuff (fittings, pipes etc.) is different and packaged by an Irish(?) company (Excel) for them here. They do still stock some metric fittings required to convert their taps etc to Irish pipework though.

byte

Thanks for the info, MickLimk.

Funny, I'd have thought it was us that used metric, and UK used imperial! I bought the bath anyway, as it seemed a good price, but didn't buy the waste or taps yet.

So, I'll probably just buy the taps this side of the border for convenience.

Thanks for the help.

Advertisement