Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st road bike..

Options
  • 07-03-2008 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

i'm planning on buying a road bike pretty soon. so far i've been happy enough to just chug along on a mountain bike but now i'd like a step up. have you any tips on how to go about buying or choosing a road bike? seeing as its my first 1 i dont really know where to start and dont want to mess up wasting other peoples time and my money. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Hi conbob, what's you budget?

(I like the way you say you like to step up from a mountain bike to a road bike :D:D:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

the most important thing is to make sure you get a bike that fit, most bike stores can help you out on this. Also make sure you have a budget left aside for
    gear equipement your gonna need cycling shorts, jersey, pump, spare tubes, water bottle+ cage. Also pedals and shoes are a good investement.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭conbob

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Hi conbob, what's you budget?

(I like the way you say you like to step up from a mountain bike to a road bike :D:D:D)

haha :) well i'd be aimin as low as i can get it. if i got a brilliant 1 i'd only end up wrecking it (it happens with my bikes)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 BlackMirror

Don't be a weight weenie. Unless you are planning to get into serious racing, a super-light, high end bike isn't needed.

There is no one brand of road bike that's better than another. Look at the components - especially the wheelset. A bike with lots of Shimano Ultegra parts may not be as good of a deal as a Shimano 105 equipped bike for the same price if the wheels are crap.

What's really important too, is the reputation of the shop where you buy it. The final assembly point of any bicycle is the shop where it was purchased.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Harpz

Hey Cornbob,
    I got the beone briza 1.0 2007 from chainreactioncycles.com
    Its an entry level racer, comparable with the giant scr4.0 (another option for an entry level racer). Its got slightly better componants (shimano sora vs shimano 2200)
    Im very happy with it. Great price aswell

• Advertisement
Advertisement