Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Almera v Tiida

Options
  • 08-03-2008 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I own a 05 Almera h/b for the past 10 months. I'm very happy with it, this is my second one. I had a 95 h/b as well great car. I had a look at the Tiida this evening in the local Nissan dealership. The salesman offered me a good deal to trade up to the Tiida h/b. I'm not mad about the Tiida though. There is plenty of room in the Tiida verses the Almera. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

I think i would agree with you don't know if i'd bother.
    Its a pity they replaced the almera with such a wierd creation!! That or the qashqui. Think i would go to a new make altogether! Unless your happy to drive something you dont love!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 plunkettrebel

I don't see many Tiida's on the road though, is there much demand for them? Ireland was one of the few countries in Europe that the almera consistently sold well over the years. The Tiida is a very comfortable car though. It's a shame Nissan didn't add a bit more design flare in the Tiida

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I'd go with the note ahead of the tiida or quashqui any day. I'm not a big fan of small cars, but the note is one of the few I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Keep the almera, better car

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Tidda seems to be a sales disaster for Nissan so far. The only ones who seem to be taking them are rental companies. This would probably explain the good trade-in price your getting for your Almera.

I know style is a subjective thing but that Tidda is a horrible looking car:

0000e19e1a1r.jpg

Looks like the love child between a Primera and Renault Vel Satis.

• Advertisement

Yeah what i always thought renault were ruinning the nissan range. I would agree with a previous poster get the note. It looks better then then everything else in there range. Pity they don't seem to have the flare they used on the GTR!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Would you not buy something decent like a Focus, or a Mazda 3, or even an Auris/Corolla?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

The tida is not a new car. Its just new to this part of the world. Tere's a 05' one out our way(an import).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I drove a note as a hire car for a couple of days. Bit bland and the boot wasn't as big as a regular saloon so I don't see the point of it tbh. ditto the Almera and Tiida. what is the point of these over a regular saloon like a focus/mondeo which drive much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

BostonB wrote: »
    I drove a note as a hire car for a couple of days. Bit bland and the boot wasn't as big as a regular saloon so I don't see the point of it tbh. .

Well it's not a saloon so that would be why it's not as big. It's kind of an MPV to sit between the Mirca and the Tiida. Renault have made the boot bigger and released the grand Modus now so I'd imagine the Note will get bigger too(unless they stay with the smaller body, but dotn see the point in that) .

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote: »
    Well it's not a saloon so that would be why it's not as big. It's kind of an MPV to sit between the Mirca and the Tiida. Renault have made the boot bigger and released the grand Modus now so I'd imagine the Note will get bigger too(unless they stay with the smaller body, but dotn see the point in that) .

What I mean is its aimed at families. Families need a boot. Whats the point of a family car (be it MPV, Saloon, whatever) that looks so odd, but has zero advantages over a regular saloon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

bazz26 wrote: »
    The Tidda seems to be a sales disaster for Nissan so far. The only ones who seem to be taking them are rental companies. This would probably explain the good trade-in price your getting for your Almera.

I know style is a subjective thing but that Tidda is a horrible looking car:

The tiida is selling surprisingly well. Its outsold the Qashqai so far this year. Will get the official figures out later.

IMO anyone that buys one new or second hand would seriously want their heads examined. Horrific looking car.

I would love to see Nissan Irelands accounts. With the amount of rental company work they do and the discounting and money off offers they operate they cannot be making much profit.

I'm surprised if thats true. I've seen very few tiida's on the road. Far more Qashqai's though even with the Qashqai there other makes far more common on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭markymac

Personally I think the Tiida is a terrible looking car. It probably has all the reliability, etc.. u would expect from a Japanese car but I think they got it seriously wrong designing this car. I think it is so bad, when you see how cars have come on over the years, this is going back the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I've seen very few of them too(thank God).

Don't know what Nissan thought they were doing by bringing in that thing here! In the inside they look like a Micra. There is also a 5 door Tiida, never seen one of them yet either(almost as ugly as the saloon if the pics are anything to go by though).

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Skoda Roomster is worse imo.Plus it has a worse name.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Skoda Roomster is worse imo.Plus it has a worse name.

Also looks terrible. But at least its got some practicality going for it. Its more like a Van with seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

The Tiida does look awful but the op is on his second Almera and has been happy with both so he's obviously not a car fan.

If it makes you happy just go ahead and buy it and don't listen to what anyone else says.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

RedorDead wrote: »
    The tiida is selling surprisingly well. Its outsold the Qashqai so far this year. Will get the official figures out later.

IMO anyone that buys one new or second hand would seriously want their heads examined. Horrific looking car.

I would love to see Nissan Irelands accounts. With the amount of rental company work they do and the discounting and money off offers they operate they cannot be making much profit.

The Tiida is only outselling the Qashqai because the Qash is in demand in the UK and there are still supply problems with them over here

The Tiida is being sold to a lot of rental companies, it's replacing the Astra and Primera as the most common Enterprise rental car we get.
    From what I've heard, most that are being sold to customers are either being discounted heavily or have expensive trade ins coming in against them.

hardly a success in my book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

The Tiida looks very much like the Toyota Prius MK1:

Prius:
    7283_12.JPG

Tiida:
    2007nissantiida.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

I seem to remember the Tiida being listed as the best, or at least one of the best sellers in Ireland at one point last year.

Hideous looking thing.
    Makes the Almera look like a Porsche.

If nissan is discounting the Tiidas so much this will have to hit the ressale value of them, I know most Japanese cars that are sold here are not built in Japan but how Reliable would the Tiida be when it is being assembled in Mexico like the VW Jetta. The first of the mark IV Golfs were assembled in South Africa, they were fierce unreliable

The Tiida does look awful but the op is on his second Almera and has been happy with both so he's obviously not a car fan.

If it makes you happy just go ahead and buy it and don't listen to what anyone else says.

To be fare the old model Almera handled fairly well with it's multi link rear suspension compared to other cars of its era, ie corrolla, etc. The newer model might'nt be the most exciting on the road but she does have a great level of standard of spec. By the way just because I drive an Almera doesn't mean I'm not a car fan. I think when you pay €20k+ for a car you should expect some of the creature comforts the nissan has. I had a 04 Honda Accord from the garage when my car was serviced, it was a fab car, i would love to buy a Honda if I had the money or a 350z. According to 5th gear that is one of the best coupes around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

I realy realy want a Tiida.........Oh no....Wait....I dont actualy. Cos they are SH!TE.

To be fare the old model Almera handled fairly well with it's multi link rear suspension compared to other cars of its era, ie corrolla, etc. The newer model might'nt be the most exciting on the road but she does have a great level of standard of spec. By the way just because I drive an Almera doesn't mean I'm not a car fan. I think when you pay €20k+ for a car you should expect some of the creature comforts the nissan has. I had a 04 Honda Accord from the garage when my car was serviced, it was a fab car, i would love to buy a Honda if I had the money or a 350z. According to 5th gear that is one of the best coupes around

There's always a better second hand car out there than a new one at the limit of your budget.

I really can't see anyone who has enjoyed owning two Almeras as having any passion about cars. A colleague of mine bought one in the last few weeks. I told him it looks ridiculous and he agreed but says that because it will never go wrong due to the legendary build quality he is happy.

I'd rather take a 147 and face the odd mechanic's bill. Or buy a Haynes manual.

Max_Damage wrote: »
    The Tiida looks very much like the Toyota Prius MK1:

Prius:
    7283_12.JPG

Tiida:
    2007nissantiida.jpg

What about the similarities to the (also part of the Renault machine) Dacia Logan?

renault-dacia-logan.jpg

Take a look at the boot and bonnet. Change the grille and lights and you've got the same car.

Only differences are door handles, wing mirrors and the extra glass at the bottom of the A pillar on the Tiida.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Probably the ugliest car I've seen since the SsangYong Rodius!
    And what's with the dumbass Nissan names? In the States the Tiida is called the Versa and the Qashqai is called the Rogue (slightly less embarrassing!) -they also missed out on serious promotion here as both cars were featured heavily in both seasons of Heroes but with the American names.
    I'd take a Qashqai over it any day at least it has a bit of style

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Alright i was slightly wrong. The qashqai has sold a few more than it.

Though its still worrying to see the tiida selling more than models such as Yaris, Octavia, Mazda 3, Civic, Jetta etc etc.

Full top 30 sellers list below. Courtesy of the SIMI.

I can't believe that yolk has sold more then any of the cars mentioned, seriously are people blind?!! I will wait and see if the reliability holds up since there not built in japan now.

I think the cars lack everything, this car is perfect if you enjoy wearing a peak cap made from tweed and going to mass everyday!
    This is an old persons car. And not insulting anybody but the age were you remember when cars we're called horse-less carriages!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

RichyX wrote: »
    I seem to remember the Tiida being listed as the best, or at least one of the best sellers in Ireland at one point last year.

Hideous looking thing.
    Makes the Almera look like a Porsche.

That was the qashqai.

Advertisement