Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

German GM30 Gasmask & Cannister

• 08-03-2008 12:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭

Hello All....

I have been setting up a small display, and wanted to get an original wartime gas mask and cannister as, to the average Joe, they are one of the most instantly recognisable pieces of German equipment after helmets and either a Luger or MP40.

Anyway, I wasn't worried about getting a completely matching piece of kit, but just a good enough visual example.

GM1.jpg

GM4.jpg

The mask itself is in relatively good repair - still soft and pliable with no tears or cuts. The are some small areas around the edges where the rubber seal is beginning to wear away. The unusual (I think) thing about it is the markings - The most obvious stamps are a '2' just under the right lens, (I assume this is the size?), and the numbers '6241' near the expiration valve.

Under the suade? lining it is stamped '1' and '1937 and elsewhere has the Imperial eagle stamp and 'W&A 320' aswell as '41' and the TR eagle. Elsewhere again, it has the numbers '40759 F'. Then, further along there is a small '675' close to a very large '7'. There are further number stamps which are very difficult to access, let alone photograph!

GM6.jpg

GM7.jpg

GM8.jpg

The filter has it's screw cap in place, and is marked 'FE 41 clf Fe' It also has ink stamps of the TR eagle with what looks like 'Wa.A. 476' and on the opposite side the numbers 41 over 0791.
    On its side it has an inked date stamp of 15 Jan. 1945.

GM2.jpg

GM3.jpg

Finally, the cannister -
    Rather salty with no obvious stamps apart from the 'D' on the base (I have read that this indicates a post 1941 cannister - is this correct??)
    It does not have the rubber hermetic seal nor the cleaning cloth or spring in the base. The compartment for spare lenses (empty) has a small typewritten label with 'Ogfr. Hempeler willi' - this, I presume was the original owner (of the cannister, at least).

GM9.jpg

GM5.jpg

There's not much more I can say about it - unless anyone has a question about something I may have missed.

Any comments or information about these items would be very gratefully received.

Thanks for looking!
    Regards - Dan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Nordwind

Greetings,

This forum may be <snip>...<snip> of <snip>...<snip> help - http://forum.axishistory.com/index.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Edit: Nordwind: Actually, I just crop your post to remove the unhelpful comment. Thanks for the link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Nordwind

I can't even remember what I said...surely couldn't have been that bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Nordwind wrote: »
    I can't even remember what I said...surely couldn't have been that bad?

Don't worry, it was just a small thing. The main part of your post (the suggested link) was ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭danpatjoe

Thanks for the link Nordwind! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement