Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roebuck Stabbing!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭BlackMamba

Apparently the residents of Roebuck were told to keep it quiet.

They certainly are doing a great job of keeping it on the QT. I've asked some friends on campus if they heard about it....they thought I was lying!:eek:
    And they live in Merville, surely some news might have leaked over?
    God forbid it gets into national news, it will tarnish the oh-so-shiny UCD crown!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Some of the media hacks from the Observor and The Tribune read this board, so maybe they will investigate *nudge, nudge*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 HoldOnTight

We have been told of no such thing. We are as much in the dark as the rest of ye are! I think its pretty poor on the RA's and administration's behalf that not even the Roebuck residents have been notified, let alone the university as a whole. I am reasonably friendly with one of the attacker's roommates and he had heard of nothing of it until Friday morning when I told him! I think that that is disgraceful!; not even warning the roommates of such an incident! I don't want to blow this out of proportion till we get some concrete facts but considering their safety could be in danger, they should at least be allowed to know whats going on.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

If an RA ordered me to stay quiet I'd ask him what legal or other authority he had to do that, before I'd ring Joe Duffy or similar. I wonder if RTE know about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

I think the RAs or anyone else in UCD with a nanogram of sense would know that trying to tell people to be quiet about something will have exactly the opposite effect...

This thread has got to 2 pages on speculation and second or third hand accounts. Anyone directly involved clearly isn't talking... Full story will come out eventually I'm sure, but might take a while...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,350 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Haha, walk into my apartment yesterday, still no notice about the incident. But there was a new notice: Don't open the windows due to the high winds!

I just find this unbelievable by now. Dont know what to think anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Bui

They like to keep these things very hush-hush around here - bad publicity, simple as. Someone killed themselves in glenomena last year, and not only did they keep the whole thing very quiet, but the RA who dealt with the whole thing (found the body, called emergency services, parents etc etc) was not given a position as RA the following year when they applied for it despite a fantastic performance given the situation.

Still, publicity aside, I think the issue of personal safety here is of great concern - regardless of the circumstances, names do not necessarily need to be mentioned but residents of at least that particular res should have been notified. Also more to the point, the perpetrator should be punished and publicly so. Again, a similar incident occurred earlier this year in merville just inside the drive-in entrance, where a girl was attacked and assaulted one Thursday night, police were up and everything but no public notice was made for the Residents to be on alert, especially for females walking alone at night around an area they may otherwise presume to be safe; living in glenomena, I was instead warned by a male friend. Students here do not seem to take priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Bluefox21

can't really blame ucd.... I mean they're pumping huge amounts of money into security.... who as far as I can see do nothing and im tempted to believe the rumours that some are actually involved in the bike stealing that averages something ridiculous a day..... The victim isn't pressing charges and all reports say he fell on a piece of glass... its not the ra who's staying quiet its the students. Half of first year know exactly what happens and most know who did it..... il say no more... but blame security or the students not the ra or ucd who can't do anything except post a warning about being careful not to "fall" on a piece of glass.

As far as I know the gardai can investigate a possible criminal offence and prosecute the individual believed to be responsible once they become aware of it. Presumably anybody who saw it or had reason to believe it happened could report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Is assault with a deadly weapon not an offense against the state? Surely if its a criminal offense there doesn't need to be charges pressed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

No but its certainly preferable to have the consent of the victim, especially if they're the only witness. Although the state will often ignore it e.g. domestic violence.

Sangre wrote: »
    No but its certainly preferable to have the consent of the victim, especially if they're the only witness. Although the state will often ignore it e.g. domestic violence.

He was not the only witness, there were at least two girls who witnessed it!

And no, it was not a piece of glass it was a knife...i've spoken to the girls about it and they confirmed the story.

Bluefox21 wrote: »
    can't really blame ucd.... I mean they're pumping huge amounts of money into security.... who as far as I can see do nothing and im tempted to believe the rumours that some are actually involved in the bike stealing that averages something ridiculous a day..... The victim isn't pressing charges and all reports say he fell on a piece of glass... its not the ra who's staying quiet its the students. Half of first year know exactly what happens and most know who did it..... il say no more... but blame security or the students not the ra or ucd who can't do anything except post a warning about being careful not to "fall" on a piece of glass.

What reports?...nothing on this thread anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 boardian

Bui wrote: »
    Again, a similar incident occurred earlier this year in merville just inside the drive-in entrance, where a girl was attacked and assaulted one Thursday night.

:eek: what??! we really should have been told about that. i walk that most nights, i always thought campus was a safe enough place - obviously not. :(

Unless victims press charges, both incidents may as well never have happened as far as the Gardai are concerned... It's very hard to convict with non co-operative victims... Even if there are other witnesses the case will often be deemed not strong enough to bring to court.

In domestic violence cases there's usually a pattern that can be referred to for prosecution without the victim. UCD incidents are almost always one-offs, luckily...

Tbh, given the number of people on campus, I'm surprised we've gone this long without some sort of serious incident anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Bui wrote: »
    They like to keep these things very hush-hush around here - bad publicity, simple as. Someone killed themselves in glenomena last year, and not only did they keep the whole thing very quiet, but the RA who dealt with the whole thing (found the body, called emergency services, parents etc etc) was not given a position as RA the following year when they applied for it despite a fantastic performance given the situation.

Still, publicity aside, I think the issue of personal safety here is of great concern - regardless of the circumstances, names do not necessarily need to be mentioned but residents of at least that particular res should have been notified. Also more to the point, the perpetrator should be punished and publicly so. Again, a similar incident occurred earlier this year in merville just inside the drive-in entrance, where a girl was attacked and assaulted one Thursday night, police were up and everything but no public notice was made for the Residents to be on alert, especially for females walking alone at night around an area they may otherwise presume to be safe; living in glenomena, I was instead warned by a male friend. Students here do not seem to take priority.
    You were oblivious to the whole Please Talk campaign then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭opinionated

You were oblivious to the whole Please Talk campaign then.

Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

mloc wrote: »
    Is assault with a deadly weapon not an offense against the state?
    I hope you're not doing Law. Sticking a knife into a person is an offence against the person, I should imagine.

Do you think we should draw RTE or 98FM's attention to this thread? A stabbing and a possible cover up is likely to whet their appetite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I hope you're not doing Law. Sticking a knife into a person is an offence against the person, I should imagine.

No, like all criminal activity, it is an offence against the state, as in, it is up to the state to press criminal charges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

And I could find an older statement by Gerry Adams about sucide as well if I wanted. So what? YFG did not run the Please Talk campaign in UCD. The chaplin spearheaded it (though I think the SU did try to take much of the credit and nodoubt countless others chipped in as well).

Suicide and depression is a HUGE problem in Ireland, it takes more lives pa than road accidents. FG were not the only, and I doubt even the first, to realise this.

The point is that the poster thought UCD is very hush hush about sucide and depression, which is completely not true considering the time and money put into the Please Talk campaign on campus.

Red Alert wrote: »
    Do you think we should draw RTE or 98FM's attention to this thread? A stabbing and a possible cover up is likely to whet their appetite.

Goings on in UCD are neither as interesting or newsworthy as many of its inhabitants believe... What differentiates this from any of the fall out from an average night in Dublin?

Stabbings generally do get reported don't they? Especially a stabbing outside an otherwise peaceful apartment block?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

And I could find an older statement by Gerry Adams about sucide as well if I wanted. So what? YFG did not run the Please Talk campaign in UCD. The chaplin spearheaded it (though I think the SU did try to take much of the credit and nodoubt countless others chipped in as well).

Suicide and depression is a HUGE problem in Ireland, it takes more lives pa than road accidents. FG were not the only, and I doubt even the first, to realise this.

The point is that the poster thought UCD is very hush hush about sucide and depression, which is completely not true considering the time and money put into the Please Talk campaign on campus.

YFG had a campaign called 'Talk' and very soon after UCD started a campaign called 'Please Talk' on the exact same topic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Pythia wrote: »
    YFG had a campaign called 'Talk' and very soon after UCD started a campaign called 'Please Talk' on the exact same topic...

Sounds like a pure coincidence tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 boardian

so what.
    they are all working on the same issue. is that such a problem?

boardian wrote: »
    so what.
    they are all working on the same issue. is that such a problem?

No, I was just giving some more information on the post I quoted.

Except the YFG campaign was merely an empty publicity stunt to hide a recruitment drive in the run-up to the last general election.

Except the YFG campaign was merely an empty publicity stunt to hide a recruitment drive in the run-up to the last general election.

It was started because of the tragic suicide of one of the members, spearheaded by his sister, also a member, and was started well before the general election.

• Advertisement

Ah....:o
    Sorry bout that.
    I was actually thinking of Sinn Fein (anyone remeber Gerry's last minute speel on suicide in the Small Leaders debate?)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement