Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - way behind on my Connemara training!

• 08-03-2008 12:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭

Ran this race last year, was my first half marathon and was thrilled to finish it, used Hal Higdon's plan and it was very good. Tried to repeat it this year but after starting off well was sick for the last 3 weeks then missed another week for miscellanous reasons (work, laziness!!!), so now it's 4 weeks away and I'm a bit panicked!! Should I concentrate on getting into the longer runs straight away or work back up to a comfortable 6 or 7 miles and just go for it :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Hi,
    Doing the full myself. A 30km run beckons tomorrow...
    If I was you I''d go with the latter. Sounds like you need to establish a medium base after your break rather than going for broke on a longer distance. The various running schedules will tend to build the running base quite conservatively, 10% or so each week tops. So if you go all out now for longer distance you could do yourself more harm than good.
    Regards,
    Slogger

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭glennhysen

Ran this race last year, was my first half marathon and was thrilled to finish it, used Hal Higdon's plan and it was very good. Tried to repeat it this year but after starting off well was sick for the last 3 weeks then missed another week for miscellanous reasons (work, laziness!!!), so now it's 4 weeks away and I'm a bit panicked!! Should I concentrate on getting into the longer runs straight away or work back up to a comfortable 6 or 7 miles and just go for it :confused:

I ran the half last year and had a similar problem to yourself. In the few weeks I had left, I just worked on being able to run 6/7/8 miles comfortably. Also on the day of the run I took it nice and easy for the first 6 miles to make sure that I didn't burn up too quickly. I think at this stage don't worry about the long runs as the excitement of the day will help you complete the 13.1 miles.

I am doing the half again this year and thankfully so far so good with the training. Hopefully we will get as good a day as last year. Best of luck with the rest of your training and I hope it all works out for you on the 6th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Todoquetengo

Thanks, will ease myself back into it so and do the best I can on the day :p

Good luck to you too especially on the Hell of the West :eek:

Advertisement