Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thatcher taken to hospital...

Options
  • 08-03-2008 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭

All over the news, just for tests apparently.
    Not many people go for tests at 11pm at night though.

Elvis Costello comes to mind.

Tramp The Dirt Down

I saw a newspaper picture from the political
    campaign
    A woman was kissing a child, who was obviously
    in pain
    She spills with compassion, as that young child's
    face in her hands she grips
    Can you imagine all that greed and avarice
    coming down on that child's lips
    Well I hope I don't die too soon
    I pray the Lord my soul to save
    Oh I'll be a good boy, I'm trying so hard to behave
    Because there's one thing I know, I'd like to live
    long enough to savour
    That's when they finally put you in the ground
    I'll stand on your grave and tramp the dirt down

When England was the whore of the world
    Margeret [sic] was her madam
    And the future looked as bright and as clear as
    the black tarmacadam
    Well I hope that she sleeps well at night, isn't
    haunted by every tiny detail
    'Cos when she held that lovely face in her hands
    all she thought of was betrayal

And now the cynical ones say that it all ends
    the same in the long run
    Try telling that to the desperate father who just
    squeezed the life from his only son
    And how it's only voices in your head and
    dreams you never dreamt
    Try telling him the subtle difference between
    justice and contempt
    Try telling me she isn't angry with this pitiful
    discontent
    When they flaunt it in your face as you line up
    for punishment
    And then expect you to say "Thank you"
    straighten up, look proud and pleased
    Because you've only got the symptoms, you
    haven't got the whole disease
    Just like a schoolboy, whose head's like a tin-can
    filled up with dreams then poured down
    the drain
    Try telling that to the boys on both sides, being
    blown to bits or beaten and maimed
    Who takes all the glory and none of the shame

Well I hope you live long now, I pray the Lord
    your soul to keep
    I think I'll be going before we fold our arms
    and start to weep
    I never thought for a moment that human life
    could be so cheap
    'Cos when they finally put you in the ground
    They'll stand there laughing and tramp the
    dirt down

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

She's 82, older than I thought. The reports say tests alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,978 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Tests at 11pm on a Friday? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

George Galloway doesn't like her!

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=6ltsh93&s=1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Is that the guy that dresses up like a cat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭pfkf1

Certainly seems odd that an 82 year old woman goes to hospital at 11pm on a friday night for tests, methinks it could be her last visit to hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I listened to the clip, and holy crap - how crazy is George? Whatever your thoughts on Thatcher (im not a big fan myself),for someone in the public eye, with a position of power as he does, to hope that 82 year old woman on her deathbed - "burns in hell" is reprehensible. I'd expect that kind of rhetoric from Abu Hamza.

Also, just to remind us all of how much this guy loves destroying his reputation GallowayBLOG.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭pfkf1

Indeed I would be no fan of the woman, nor her politics, in fact I think she is a down right disgrace, especially towards the Irish question, however, it appears that she would be close to being on her deathbed and I would not wish her ill, I would wish her all the best and to do otherwise is simply wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

you can be admitted to hospital for tests at 11pm on a friday.

Say she felt a bit dizzy, for eg.....they might keep her in overnight to test her heart, do some bloods etc.

She may have had chest pain, in which case they'll do bloods/ecg. These are all "tests" that result in an overnight admission.

It's common with grannies from all backgrounds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

pfkf1 wrote: »
    Indeed I would be no fan of the woman, nor her politics, in fact I think she is a down right disgrace, especially towards the Irish question, however, it appears that she would be close to being on her deathbed and I would not wish her ill, I would wish her all the best and to do otherwise is simply wrong.

very christian of you.

but i doubt there will be many people of Yorkshire, Manchester, Liverpool & others parts of the north of england, wales and the north of ireland who will be sorry to see that bat gone. sure i am sure, if the auld scrap saturday clips are correct, our very own CJH will be pleased to see her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I was never a fan of Thatcher, but without a doubt, the British economy would be worse off if she did not tackle the unions head on.

Was she not the person who instigated the Anglo Irish Agreement? ok it was flawed and pretty much everyone hated it, but you could argue that without it the GFA would not have happened.

SInce being stabbed in the back by her own cowardly party, she did become a bit of a headcase and her backing of Pinochet was deplorable. Still, I'm sure she will be around for a bit longer as I doubt if Heaven or Hell are really looking forward to her arrival:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Her authoritarian attitude "the lady is not for turning", "Iron Maggie" did not make her democratic friendly. She became so dogmatic and dictator like that she had to go. She broke the Unions of course in the UK, she had her little war as well in the Falklands. Her poll tax too was a massive hit, where every member over 18, of a household had to pay a tax, like rates. She was so out of touch with reality and increased the class divide IMO. I am not a fan.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Her authoritarian attitude "the lady is not for turning", "Iron Maggie" did not make her democratic friendly. She became so dogmatic and dictator like that she had to go. She broke the Unions of course in the UK, she had her little war as well in the Falklands. Her poll tax too was a massive hit, where every member over 18, of a household had to pay a tax, like rates. She was so out of touch with reality and increased the class divide IMO. I am not a fan.

The poll tax was probably the final straw for the Brits. The old system was unfair but it was replaced with a sytem that was even worse. By then the Tories had become corrupt and drunk on power, they thought that by getting rid of Thatcher it would save their arses but the Labour landside was so huge at the next election shows just how much they were hated.

She probably did increase the class divide, but it also dragged the working class out of the union mentality and created an environment where things like profit sharing and share options became possible. Suddenly devout trade unionist were share holders and keen on their company making a profit. It changed UK labour relations for ever. it also attracted companies like Toyota, Hoinda and Nissan into the UK who, to an extent, helped fill the gap left by the coal mines.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

She is out unfortunately. There will be many, many people dancing a jig on her grave when she pops off.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Shutuplaura

As Fred points out she may have helped modernise the economy for sure but to do so in such a pointlessly devisive way to me points to a lack of leadership and vision. She was also very fortunate - The falklands war and north sea oil revenue helped he a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭bartholomewbinn

andrewh5 wrote: »
    She is out unfortunately. There will be many, many people dancing a jig on her grave when she pops off.

I for one will be delighted when this excuse for a human being finally pops her clogs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

a well we had similar authoritarian characters like de valera and CJH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

All over the news, just for tests apparently.
    Not many people go for tests at 11pm at night though.

Elvis Costello comes to mind.

Tramp The Dirt Down

I saw a newspaper picture from the political
    campaign
    A woman was kissing a child, who was obviously
    in pain
    She spills with compassion, as that young child's
    face in her hands she grips
    Can you imagine all that greed and avarice
    coming down on that child's lips
    Well I hope I don't die too soon
    I pray the Lord my soul to save
    Oh I'll be a good boy, I'm trying so hard to behave
    Because there's one thing I know, I'd like to live
    long enough to savour
    That's when they finally put you in the ground
    I'll stand on your grave and tramp the dirt down

When England was the whore of the world
    Margeret [sic] was her madam
    And the future looked as bright and as clear as
    the black tarmacadam
    Well I hope that she sleeps well at night, isn't
    haunted by every tiny detail
    'Cos when she held that lovely face in her hands
    all she thought of was betrayal

And now the cynical ones say that it all ends
    the same in the long run
    Try telling that to the desperate father who just
    squeezed the life from his only son
    And how it's only voices in your head and
    dreams you never dreamt
    Try telling him the subtle difference between
    justice and contempt
    Try telling me she isn't angry with this pitiful
    discontent
    When they flaunt it in your face as you line up
    for punishment
    And then expect you to say "Thank you"
    straighten up, look proud and pleased
    Because you've only got the symptoms, you
    haven't got the whole disease
    Just like a schoolboy, whose head's like a tin-can
    filled up with dreams then poured down
    the drain
    Try telling that to the boys on both sides, being
    blown to bits or beaten and maimed
    Who takes all the glory and none of the shame

Well I hope you live long now, I pray the Lord
    your soul to keep
    I think I'll be going before we fold our arms
    and start to weep
    I never thought for a moment that human life
    could be so cheap
    'Cos when they finally put you in the ground
    They'll stand there laughing and tramp the
    dirt down

Used to like that song when I was an impressionable 16 year old.
    Now I think it's a pile of leftie poo.

She did a great service to the UK, pity we could not have a leader like her.

I for one will be delighted when this excuse for a human being finally pops her clogs.

Why?

I know why I disliked her, but why is she so hated in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭,8,1

pfkf1 wrote: »
    Indeed I would be no fan of the woman, nor her politics, in fact I think she is a down right disgrace, especially towards the Irish question

Why? She put our Marxist terrorists - the IRA - in their place and in doing so did us a massive favour.

If her dialogue with Ireland centred around building sound economic ties rather than bloodthirty leftist "revolutionaries", I'm sure she would have been much more supportive towards us.
    I know why I disliked her, but why is she so hated in Ireland?

Misguided, malinformed people. Also don't take the loud rantings of the left as majority opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

history i predict will rank her as 2nd behind churchill in terms of great prime ministers of the uk since ww2

you can acknowledge someone as having been a great leader while not liking them

remember regan was twice as popular in the usa as clinton ever was even though he was almost as hated as bush outside the usa

i see regan and thatcher as having been great leaders

politicians are rarely good people you know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭conor2007

similarily as the unionists did recently in the north

''she deserves it''

irish_bob wrote: »
    history i predict will rank her as 2nd behind churchill in terms of great prime ministers of the uk since ww2

Which is probably her biggest crime :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

The fact that she was the first woman Prime minister too had bearing on her rating. She had to be tough to make it, and effectively the Prime ministers before her appear tame and ineffective. Her right wing credentials speak for her as do her draconian reforms. She was pro big business and fed the greed gene. Property booms started, privatization of telecoms, gas, water, etc all helped her and the UK. I do not think she was a great leader but better than those before her and since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭gordon_gekko

The fact that she was the first woman Prime minister too had bearing on her rating. She had to be tough to make it, and effectively the Prime ministers before her appear tame and ineffective. Her right wing credentials speak for her as do her draconian reforms. She was pro big business and fed the greed gene. Property booms started, privatization of telecoms, gas, water, etc all helped her and the UK. I do not think she was a great leader but better than those before her and since.

not everyone sees privitisation as a bad thing

why is it that those who work in state companies are never seen as being capable of greed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

,8,1 wrote: »
    Why? She put our Marxist terrorists - the IRA - in their place and in doing so did us a massive favour.

If her dialogue with Ireland centred around building sound economic ties rather than bloodthirty leftist "revolutionaries", I'm sure she would have been much more supportive towards us.

Misguided, malinformed people. Also don't take the loud rantings of the left as majority opinion.

I believe a few of the people she took on got elected to her own parliament, hardly makes them the minority you are making out at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

not everyone sees privitisation as a bad thing

why is it that those who work in state companies are never seen as being capable of greed

Talking about Thatcher here and her appalling treatment of the miners with extreme privatisation in '84

You just don't throw tens of thousands of miners in concentrated areas onto the dole straightaway without govt support for alternative employment.

It was her disregard for the poorest in society that was sickening with the greed is good mentality.
    It was only when she went to tour Toxteth after the riot that it hit home to her temporarily unfortunately that govt intervention is needed to help communities in despair.(she did u-turn again on miners in '84)

Before that riot she didn't give a toss about the likes of Liverpool and let it rot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Agreed. I hate anti-Britishness, I think George Galloway is a bullying yob and the way he addressed that man who phoned in was absolutely disgraceful (the man was only saying he didn't think it was appropriate for Galloway to say she should burn in hell, he wasn't "defending" her as Galloway insisted) but I agree with everything Galloway said about that c*nt.
    She did a great service to the UK, pity we could not have a leader like her.
    Troll.
    ,8,1 wrote: »
    Massive favour? Explain. If anything, the hunger strikes and Thatcher's disgusting attitude towards catholics in the north were one big recruiting drive for the provos. Do you not remember how much the republican campaign of violence heightened during Thatcher's time in office? Put them in their place? What the fukk? That bitch spurred them on!
    Re the IRA: So if you were poor and you grew up in the Ardoyne or Falls Road or Bogside and your sister got regularly groped by British soldiers, you regularly got a thumping by RUC officers, you knew someone who got a round of plastic bullets for being in the wrong place at the wrong time, your chances of decent housing and a job were reduced because of your religion... oh, and you faced discrimination every day of the week, and silent protests didn't work - in fact 13 unarmed fellow catholics one day are murdered by British soldiers for protesting - are you saying you still wouldn't want an organisation to stand up to those bastards?
    Fact is, the IRA were murdering bastards, but the British and unionist powers-that-be created them. Anyone who just dismisses them as "baddies" without taking the bigger picture into consideration is either: very lazy, very dumb, very ignorant or simply attending the Independent Newspapers school of anti-republicanism which is quite trendy at the moment.
    Misguided, malinformed people.
    You're Irish aren't you? So you'd also include yourself in that group of "misguided, malinformed people" would you?
    Or are you just trolling?

Oh yeah, and all of the above aside, she supported Pinochet, a dictator under whose regime some of the most depraved atrocities imaginable occurred. Do a google.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Dudess: Read the charter before you post here again. If you have a problem with a post, report it.

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    Massive favour? Explain. If anything, the hunger strikes and Thatcher's disgusting attitude towards catholics in the north were one big recruiting drive for the provos. Do you not remember how much the republican campaign of violence heightened during Thatcher's time in office? Put them in their place? What the fukk? That bitch spurred them on!
    Re the IRA: So if you were poor and you grew up in the Ardoyne or Falls Road or Bogside and your sister got regularly groped by British soldiers, you regularly got a thumping by RUC officers, you knew someone who got a round of plastic bullets for being in the wrong place at the wrong time, your chances of decent housing and a job were reduced because of your religion... oh, and you faced discrimination every day of the week, and silent protests didn't work - in fact 13 unarmed fellow catholics one day are murdered by British soldiers for protesting - are you saying you still wouldn't want an organisation to stand up to those bastards?
    Fact is, the IRA were murdering bastards, but the British and unionist powers-that-be created them. Anyone who just dismisses them as "baddies" without taking the bigger picture into consideration is either: very lazy, very dumb, very ignorant or simply attending the Independent Newspapers school of anti-republicanism which is quite trendy at the moment.

I thought Bloody Sunday was before thatcher's time?

Did she have that bad an attitude towards ireland, or was it that she was in power at the height of the troubles? IIRC, she was as hard on loyalists as she was republicans, but that would no doubt be forgotten this side of the irish sea.

Take a look at ESB, the report last year said that inefficiencies and overpayment to staff is ccosting the country €100m per year. Do you think that would happen in the UK? The reason I don't is that Thatcher forced a different type of labour relations on the workforce. Instead of screwing a company to get more money, unions were forced to look for cost savings, productivity increases and share schemes. Suddenly the unions became interested in how thier company was performing rather than trying to strangle it to death. This is why I agree with benedict, when I look at the current crop of irish political leaders, outside of Sinn Fein I can't see anyone with more balls than Thatcher, literally!! someone of her courage is badly needed at the moment as we enter an uncertain economic period. it's easy managing a country when all is goig well, but the next 12 months ill be a test and I can't see anyone up to the job.

Advertisement