Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FA Cup Quarter Finals (8th/9th March)

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Bit unfair there ironing. ronaldo is a very skilful player, I know that he is not universally liked by the oppo but he certainly is great to watch against every team except your own.

And as for fergie whinging, what's new.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Quotes from Fergie and Ronaldo (the crap one):

2) "After what happened to the Arsenal player Eduardo da Silva, I am scared to do my skills." (What skills you may ask)

I'm lovin it!

Maybe the ones he has shown all season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

cooker3 wrote: »
    So when is the last time a team from the top 4 didn't make the semi final, anyone?

If it's current top 4 you have to look back to 1987:

Semi-Final 1 Coventry City Leeds United 3 - 2 Hillsborough
    Semi-Final 2 Tottenham Hotspur Watford 4 - 1 Villa Park

If it's top 4 at end of a particular season go back to 2000:

Semi-Final 1 Aston Villa (6th) Bolton Wanderers (Championship) 0 - 0 ; 4 - 1 on penalties Wembley
    Semi-Final 2 Chelsea (5th) Newcastle United (11th) 2 - 1 Wembley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Watching MOTD. How many of the players I mentioned would have been so profligate against a team as bad a Portsmouth?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Anyway boyos, after that little diversion, bring it back on topic please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Anyway boyos, after that little diversion, bring it back on topic please.

Will do. It was fun though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

OPENROAD wrote: »

Very funny. What are the chances he looks for 2 pay packets this week, having played in goal as well???:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Quotes from Fergie and Ronaldo (the crap one):
    1)Ronaldo revealed a lack of protection from officials had made him "scared" to play his natural game
    2) "After what happened to the Arsenal player Eduardo da Silva, I am scared to do my skills." (What skills you may ask)
    3) Ferguson said after his side's hopes of repeating their 1999 Treble were extinguished: "The game was decided by the decision not to give us a penalty. They had great confidence to hang on knowing the referee was on their side." (Boo Hoo)

I'm lovin it!

"After what happenend to the Arsenal player eduardo de silva,i am scared to do my skills.".............If he really said that then this guy is a complete and utter numpty and is a sad reflection on the game today.Manchester should send this guy to boot camp to toughen up a little. Boo hoo Ronaldo you are a fantactic player but what a wimp:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Dubit10 wrote: »
    "After what happenend to the Arsenal player eduardo de silva,i am scared to do my skills.".............If he really said that then this guy is a complete and utter numpty and is a sad reflection on the game today.Manchester should send this guy to boot camp to toughen up a little. Boo hoo Ronaldo you are a fantactic player but what a wimp:mad:

+1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Just saw Fergies post-match rant on SSN. He's a disgustingly sore loser and I hope the FA don't let it slide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

PiE wrote: »
    Just saw Fergies post-match rant on SSN. He's a disgustingly sore loser and I hope the FA don't let it slide.

Sideline ban deseverved for a few games (if it transpires though, it'll be sure to coincide with Bolton or Derby and not Arsenal or Liverpool, which he somehow managed to avoid the last time). Firing his chewing gum at the wall like that should incur a hefty littering fine too considering the example he sets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Why wasn't it justified?
    There's no denying that United let the game go, but theres also no denying that the ref was absolutely ****ing terrrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

PHB wrote: »
    Why wasn't it justified?
    There's no denying that United let the game go, but theres also no denying that the ref was absolutely ****ing terrrible.

I agree. I'm fed up with opposition fans laying into the man. Every time he gives his opinions and makes justifiable criticisms people start whining.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

he wasn't terrible, you should of had a peno, thats the only mistake he made, that doesnt make him ****ing terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Boro 0-1 Cardiff

Anyone surprised, given how the cup has gone so far??

Fantastic goal too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Cardiff 2-0 up. Good header.

0-2 another good goal
    stays as is we're garunteed at least one non-prem team in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

2 - 0 cardiff

on fergies rant: it wasnt as harsh as some people are making out. he's a sore loser and thats it. his team should have won 4 - 0 or close to it but he's not gonna come out on tv and blast his players for screwing up all the chances that they missed, in fact he made light of it and laughed it off when asked about it. so he can only go and have a go at the refs, which in fairness, is what most managers will do when they lose a game that they clearly should have won.

the fact that the public and the press have made such a fuss about this has totally taken away from putting any sort of pressure on uniteds ineptitude in front of goal lately

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Cardiff/Bristol semi?
    That would be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Another Prem team on the way out! Super stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

:D This is a mad FA cup

When was the last time a non premiership/old division 1 team won the FA cup?

Unearthly wrote: »

When was the last time a non premiership/old division 1 team won the FA cup?

Good question...Southampton 76? Were West Ham in Div 1 when they beat Arsenal 1980?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

On " Goals on Sunday " they where saying that Cardiff where in financial trouble and need a win today to help survive

Anybody know if its true or not..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

dobsdave wrote: »
    Good question...Southampton 76? Were West Ham in Div 1 when they beat Arsenal 1980?

wikipedia tells me West Ham is correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    On " Goals on Sunday " they where saying that Cardiff where in financial trouble and need a win today to help survive

Anybody know if its true or not..

Ridsdale is their chairman so yup very true, seems he done a leeds on them and borrowed money from a bank BBC has loads about it, they are screwed tho.

kdjac

just one other thing about the ref and red card yesterday, the last man thing is a common misconception

the wording of Law 12 was changed and the term professional foul was replaced by denying an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to remove the implication that in order for a red card to be issued, such a foul had to be deliberate. Currently, if a player denies a player an obvious goalscoring opportunity by foul means, whether deliberate or not, he is sent off.

Unearthly wrote: »
    It's been an exciting FA cup this year. Bit of an embarressment for the Prem though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Cardiff/Bristol semi?
    That would be interesting.

More interesting that thousands of Cardiff fans will rum amok in London for the weekend...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ok, this is unreal, Porstmouth are gona be the only premierhsip team left in the FA Cup. I tell ya, I bet ya Reading are pretty pissed off now that they didn't put out a proper team :)

No smash and grab in the boro match as you would expect with cup shock.
    Cardiff much better team in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Peter Whittingham making Villa fans wonder why he was sold, great goal and overall performance today.

I went to see Cardiff play Burnley last October when I was in Cardiff for the Rugby World Cup and they looked decent except for the strikers Fowler looked way past and Jimmy Floyd was not up to the pace at all, they look good today though playing nice football and solid at the back. Stephen McPhail is doing a good job for them, could be worth a place in the Irish Setup again?

No smash and grab in the boro match as you would expect with cup shock.
    Cardiff much better team in my opinion.

+1

There's no sign of the "different class" that commenter's like to talk about when prem sides play a lower league side. Cardiff are well worth the win imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Boro should be banned from next year's competetion for such a putrid, effortless attempt to win this tie. The game has been a cure for insomnia.

Playing at home and manging ONE shot on target the ENTIRE game is a disgrace. Joke of a team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

unbelievable weekend of football! fantastic stuff. cant believe Pompy are the only remaining premiership side!

FT. Boro 0 - 2 Cardiff. Well done to Cardiff. Best team on the day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

You only noticed this now? If wenger did this the headline would be "Sore loser"
    Such is the jingoism of the British Press!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Am I right in thinking that Cardiff can't qualify for Europe because they aren't allowed represent England?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

SantryRed wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that Cardiff can't qualify for Europe because they aren't allowed represent England?
    Yes you are, FIFA's legislation states now you can only qualify through the Association of which you are a League member, Cardiff are a member of the FAW

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Villain wrote: »
    Yes you are, FIFA's legislation states now you can only qualify through the Association of which you are a League member, Cardiff are a member of the FAW

Maybe 6th place will still be up for a cup spot at the end of the year:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

West Brom went on to thump Bristol anyway. Have to say any time I see them (didn't today), they look a great attacking team. Ishmael Miller got a hattrick and SuperKev banged in another one. He's having a fantastic season. They're pretty much sure to be in the prem next year which is great since they're more in the Reading mould then the Derby one. Think they'd have a pretty decent chance of staying up, especially judging by some of the dross this season.

Some good footballing teams left in the cup anyway, Barnsley played some decent stuff yesterday, Pompy on their day can be very easy on the eye, as can Cardiff. Hard to look past Pompy for the cup though imo, they have a very solid defence which will see them win it i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    West Brom went on to thump Bristol anyway. Have to say any time I see them (didn't today), they look a great attacking team. Ishmael Miller got a hattrick and SuperKev banged in another one. He's having a fantastic season. They're pretty much sure to be in the prem next year which is great since they're more in the Reading mould then the Derby one. Think they'd have a pretty decent chance of staying up, especially judging by some of the dross this season.

+1. In previous years they weren't the best to watch, but Mowbray has them playing great football. They'll be a good addition to the Premiership IMO, assuming they get there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Yippy!!!!! Barnsley vs Cardiff in the FA cup final....can't wait.:rolleyes:

I might be tempted to watch a Portsmouth vs West Brom match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

PHB wrote: »
    Ok, this is unreal, Porstmouth are gona be the only premierhsip team left in the FA Cup. I tell ya, I bet ya Reading are pretty pissed off now that they didn't put out a proper team :)

and Blackburn and Sunderland as well good enough for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Great to see Micah's buddy getting involved in another solid partnership, this time on the pitch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Great to see Micah's buddy getting involved in another solid partnership, this time on the pitch!

You mean he gangbanged some 16 year old with Kevin Phillips on the pitch today?

It sounded funnier in my head.

Advertisement