Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most influential/important/seminal bands/artists in music history?

Options
  • 08-03-2008 7:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭

Saw something similar on another forum.
    So who do you think are the most influential artists in music history, decade by decade say:

I really don't know TBH but maybe something like:

50's: Elvis

60's: Beatles, Stones, Beach Boys

70's: Led Zeppelin, Bowie, Queen ??? Sex Pistols

80's: Madonna, The Pixies, The Cure, Metallica?, New Order/Joy Division (I'd love to put The Smiths in there as well but i think their sound is so singular and unique, i'm reluctant. Was there genius ever really emulated by anyone).

90's: Stone Roses, Nirvana, Radiohead ? Coldplay ?

00's: Fcuk all really- even if it is influential, music is probably getting $hitter.

I'm far from certain about this- I'd like to hear your views though.
    Also, at the risk of sounding cliche, anyone genuinely feel music is not as good today as it was in the previous decades.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

...Palestrina, Gesualdo, J.S. Bach, Handel, J.J. Fux, Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms, Liszt, Wagner, Schubert, Schumann, Mahler, Debussy, Ravel, Schoenberg, Stravinsky, Holst, Bartók, Ligeti, Penderecki, Reich, Riley,
    Son House, Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, Willie Dixon, Scott Joplin, Louis Armstrong, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Charles Mingus, Charlie Parker, Duke Ellington, Chuck Berry, Carl Perkins, Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Beatles, Beach Boys, James Brown, Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Bowie, Ramones, U2, Metallica, New Order/JD, The Smiths, Nirvana, Radiohead.

I think they're all pretty important.
    And probably loads more pop, hip-hop, dance acts etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Eminem-90's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

00's seems a bit bare, how about Strokes who kick-started a new rock revolution and made it acceptable to be slightly geeky and in a band.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Elliott Smith.

Public Enemy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Kraftwerk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Gary numan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Dr.Slurm

Here's who I'd say if I was to pick one per decade (more fun:))

60's - The Beatles
    70's - Bob Marley
    80's - Metallica
    90's - Radiohead
    00's - Mastodon

pink floyd!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

damonjewel wrote: »
    Kraftwerk

Damn straight, most influential ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Surprised no one has mentioned Lonnie Donegan (A.K.A. the "King of Skiffle") yet.

Without him the likes of The Beatles and Queen would possibly never have been formed and then as a result countless other bands would not have been formed over the years, for better or for worse.

Brian May said in an interview that Lonnie was the reason that he picked up a guitar. John Lennon's first venture into proper music was with a skiffle group influenced by Lonnie, and that was how he met McCartney. The rest is history.

EDIT: Just had a look at how old this thread is, apologies. My claim still stands though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

the sonics, beefheart, lee scratch perry, the fall, steve albini

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Old thread yes but screw it. Starting from the 60's

60's - The Beatles, Silver Apples, The Velvet Underground, The Monks, 13th Floor Elevators

70's - Television, Joy Division, Big Star, Can, Trobbing Gristle, Kraftwerk, The Stooges, Suicide

80's - Sonic Youth, Cocteau Twins, The Smiths, Black Flag, Skinny Puppy, Swans, The Jesus and Mary Chain, New Order, Pixies

90's - My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive, Aphex Twin, Massive Attack, Fugazi, Refused, Stereolab, Flying Saucer Attack, The Flaming Lips

00's - Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Sigur Ros, Arcade Fire, Radiohead, Electric Wizard, M83, dalek, At The Drive-In

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

50's: Elvis, Little Richard, Miles Davis, Buddy Holly

60's: Beatles, Velvet Underground, Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix Experience, James Brown

70's: Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Neil Young, Ramones, The Stooges, Sex Pistols, The Clash

80's: Pixies, Sonic Youth, The Smiths, Metallica, U2, Michael Jackson

90's: Oasis, Radiohead, 2Pac, Notorious B.I.G., Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

The Beatles - If for nothing else, then for Tomorrow Never Knows, a song without precedent and the birth of modern electronica. So innovative and ahead of its time. Hugely influential since.

Worth reading the article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomorrow_Never_Knows

Oh, and an honorable mention to Brian Wilson. At this present time I listen to nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,691 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No-one has mentioned him yet, so I'll say it. Jacko.

Irrespective of whether you thought he was a paedo or not, he was a musical genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

1950s - Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry

1960s - The Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Led Zepellin, Johnny Cash

1970s - Queen, AC/DC, ABBA, Bruce Springsteen

1980s - U2, Michael Jackson, Madonna (kills me to admit her), Pixies, Karftwerk

1990s - Oasis, Radiohead, Take That, Eminem

2000s - Coldplay, Muse, Kings of Leon

Don't bash the naughties people, no one will remember JLS, Ke$ha, Jason Derulo and The Wanted when we are all grandparents. There was crap in the 1980s too, but they have all faded

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

NIMAN wrote: »

Irrespective of whether you thought he was a paedo or not, he was a musical genius.

I mentioned him in my post. I'm not a big fan of his but he's obviously been highly influential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

karaokeman wrote: »

Don't bash the naughties people, no one will remember JLS, Ke$ha, Jason Derulo and The Wanted when we are all grandparents. There was crap in the 1980s too, but they have all faded
    In what way are Coldplay, Muse and Kings of Leon original or influential? And before you start, yes I have listened to some of their albums and I've seen Muse and Kings of Leon live.

NIMAN wrote: »

You mean Quincy Jones.

What you said is the equivalent of saying that Mike Love was a genius because the Beach Boys were great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Two pages in and no mention of Talking Heads? Jaysus lads :pac:

Talking Heads are a big one for me. They showed you could line up with the punk movement and hold the same ideals and still make your music as complicated as 'arty' as you like. (Alright, feel free to call me out for talking about this stuff while being too young to count, but I read it in a book :P )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

1950s - Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry

1960s - The Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Led Zepellin, Johnny Cash

1970s - Queen, AC/DC, ABBA, Bruce Springsteen

1980s - U2, Michael Jackson, Madonna (kills me to admit her), Pixies, Karftwerk

1990s - Oasis, Radiohead, Take That, Eminem

Come again?

Oh and how have Pearl Jam not been mentioned. One of the best.

Sweet wrote: »
    how about Strokes who made it acceptable to be slightly geeky and in a band.

Disgraceful comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Just cringed at that comment myself but, hey, I was 16 when I posted it. Ignorance is, in hindsight, quite embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bonzo-Reborn

Dr.Slurm wrote: »
    Here's who I'd say if I was to pick one per decade (more fun:))

60's - The Beatles
    70's - Bob Marley
    80's - Metallica
    90's - Radiohead
    00's - Mastodon

This my friends is gospel!

This my friends is gospel!

I think Bob Marley is a bit far...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

50s - Elvis, Frank Sinatra, Miles Davis, Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, Billie Holiday
    60s - Beatles, Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Beach Boys, Bob Dylan, Ray Charles
    70s - Led Zeppelin, The Clash, Sex Pistols, Stevie Wonder, ABBA
    80s - Madonna, The Smiths, David Bowie, Michael Jackson, The Pixies, Run DMC, NWA, U2
    90s - Nirvana, Tupac, The Smashing Pumpkins, Eminem, Beck, Oasis, Lauryn Hill, Radiohead, Nas, Wu-Tang Clan
    00s - Arcade Fire, Amy Winehouse, Britney Spears, The Strokes, White Stripes, M.I.A, Lady Gaga, Beyonce, Daft Punk, Outkast, Jay-Z, Kanye West, Mos Def

Not every artist there would be my cup of tea, but I think they've all been pretty influential.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

50s - Elvis, Frank Sinatra, Miles Davis, Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, Billie Holiday
    60s - Beatles, Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Beach Boys, Bob Dylan, Ray Charles
    70s - Led Zeppelin, The Clash, Sex Pistols, Stevie Wonder, ABBA
    80s - Madonna, The Smiths, David Bowie, Michael Jackson, The Pixies, Run DMC, NWA, U2
    90s - Nirvana, Tupac, The Smashing Pumpkins, Eminem, Beck, Oasis, Lauryn Hill, Radiohead, Nas, Wu-Tang Clan
    00s - Arcade Fire, Amy Winehouse, Britney Spears, The Strokes, White Stripes, M.I.A, Lady Gaga, Beyonce, Daft Punk, Outkast, Jay-Z, Kanye West, Mos Def

Not every artist there would be my cup of tea, but I think they've all been pretty influential.

Not influential in any way IMO.

Only people Britney influenced were the mime-alikes of Ke$ha, Black Eyed Peas and Avril Lavgine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Not influential in any way IMO.

Only people Britney influenced were the mime-alikes of Ke$ha, Black Eyed Peas and Avril Lavgine.

She's the most significant pop star since Madonna. For better or worse, she has been influential on the pop music scene, and she's made a couple of the best pop records ever. You might not like her, but it doesn't mean that she wasn't influential.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Wereghost

Woody Guthrie, Jimi Hendrix, Hank Williams, Bing Crosby, John McCormack, Johnny Cash, Frank Sinatra, Iggy Pop, Cole Porter, Irving Berlin (, though I'm not sure if the last two count as performers).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Louis Armstrong, Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Captain Beefheart, Igor Stravinsky, Iannis Xenakis, Ludwig Van Beethoven, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart...

Oh, er, ****in' Johann Sebastian Bach. Huge oversight there :pac:

Advertisement