Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

would this thing toe a horsebox

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

You do realise that you have to pay VRT?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

plus my wife needs to be able to drive this now and again so a big 4wd is both out , there too expensive anyhow

Errrhhh...its a Mitsubishi Pajero we are talking about, a Pajero/Shogun is a BIG 4 WD....

And yes, it would definitely pull one or two horseboxes...or a boat.....or a house....or Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Cosmo K wrote: »
    Errrhhh...its a Mitsubishi Pajero we are talking about, a Pajero/Shogun is a BIG 4 WD....

And yes, it would definitely pull one or two horseboxes...or a boat.....or a house....or Leitrim

NO, a shogun and pajero are the same car, just different names

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

NO, a shogun and pajero are the same car, just different names

I know, thats why I wrote Pajero/Shogun....;)

But its definitely not a
    showgun
    :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

That's a short wheelbase/3 door model, so according to this site, its towing capacity is 2800kg.
    Being short, it'll be 'twitchier' with a big/heavy trailer than the long wheelbase version, and it should be well able for mild off-roading (gravel roads, grass fields, etc).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

saw a little car towing a ford transit jumbo last night, anything's possible :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Rovi wrote: »
    That's a short wheelbase/3 door model, so according to this site, its towing capacity is 2800kg.
    Being short, it'll be 'twitchier' with a big/heavy trailer than the long wheelbase version, and it should be well able for mild off-roading (gravel roads, grass fields, etc).

+1
    Something with a longer wheelbase would be better/safer for towing - especially if your wife is gonna be driving (if that doesn't sound too sexist in these PC times...:))

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

im a bit slow today , i found out when i called about it that a showgun and a pajero is the same thing , i thought perhaps a showgun was a rival of the toyota rav or landrover freelander
    anyway the vrt has to be paid on it alright

someone said the lwb would be better for toeing , true bit i think lwb,s are ugly and i think the pajero lwb is especially ugly , where as the pajero swb i think is really smart looking
    i hear its not just as good as a landcruiser but that mechanically it would be probably 2nd best , the fact that its thousands cheaper than a similar aged landcruiser makes up for the fact that its resale value is weaker than the cruiser

btw , i came across a 03 nissan patrol today in navan and took a spin in it , big but i really liked it
    25k , not bad value for passenger vechile of that size , wouldnt get a cruiser for nowhere near that in a passenger
    anyone know whether the nisann patrol were ok , i know there not making them anymore and that nisann cars are not great but apparently the army swears by the patrol

thanks for the feedback so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

I wouldn't buy something with an automatic gearbox to tow something. Go manual instead. I hear that towing with auto gearboxes can break them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

pontovic wrote: »
    I wouldn't buy something with an automatic gearbox to tow something. Go manual instead. I hear that towing with auto gearboxes can break them.

thanks for the reply but i have to bear in mind that irish people traditional have had a somewhat irrational fear of automatic cars , we tend to avoid them like the plague compared to most countries

ive asked what there like toeing , fine on roads , not as good as a manual in fields apparently

I prefer manuals because they are more fuel efficient, cheaper to maintain and more fun to drive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you can lock the gearbox in a certain gear on the Paj. An automatic is perfectly good for off roading and towing if the driver knows how to use the gearbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

I prefer manuals because they are more fuel efficient, cheaper to maintain and more fun to drive :)

try driving from derry to kerry in an automatic

try driving back in a manual

which one will you get out of more wrecked

try driving in dublin nowadays in both , same deal

I drove from Galway to Burtonport in Donegal to meet a mate, who wasn't there for a good reason, and then I drove back to Dublin the very same day. 12 hours of driving. Was lovely :) I was in a ford fiesta 1.1 manual :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

I don't really agree. We used to tow plant machinery in our hire business with an auto land cruiser... no bother.
    My dad has had 5 or 6 cruisers in his time and he'd never go back to manual after having the auto.

Hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of Americans would disagree.
    The vast majority of American pickup trucks are sold with automatics, and an awful lot of those spend their lives towing all sorts of loads up and down the highway.
    Cooling is paramount with an auto; they're not 'zero-maintenance' (as some people erroneously appear to regard manuals), but a properly cooled automatic getting its scheduled fluid changes will run practically forever, whether towing or not.

I drove from Galway to Burtonport in Donegal to meet a mate, who wasn't there for a good reason, and then I drove back to Dublin the very same day. 12 hours of driving. Was lovely :) I was in a ford fiesta 1.1 manual :)

not so easy if your 6ft5 let me tell you

opinions on autos have to be taken with a pinch of salt in this country
    no other country has avoided autos like we have
    our love of them traditionally would be slightly less than our love of the idea of nuclear power

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

How heavy is a horsebox? I bought an 01 Subaru Forester S turbo auto recently, it can pull 2,000kgs, it cost €7,000 and it's a far nicer drive than that thing.

Anan1 wrote: »
    How heavy is a horsebox? I bought an 01 Subaru Forester S turbo auto recently, it can pull 2,000kgs, it cost €7,000 and it's a far nicer drive than that thing.
    From the Richardson/Rice Trailers site-

Supreme Rosette:
    Gross Weight - 1750KG
    Unladen Weight - 820KG
    Pay Load - 930KG

The Europa:
    Gross Weight - 2300KG
    Unladen Weight - 980KG
    Pay Load - 1320KG

The Beaufort Double:
    Gross Weight - 2600KG
    Unladen Weight - 1020KG
    Pay Load - 1580KG

The Beaufort 60:
    Gross Weight - 2700KG
    Unladen Weight - 1140KG
    Pay Load - 1560KG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Just bear in mind moe that if you are towing 2 tonnes with a large 4x4 on public roads, you'll need a BE licence.

A category B licence only permits a total gross weight of 3,500kgs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭gordon_gekko

Anan1 wrote: »

thought they were only available in petrol

besides a subaru forrester is an urban jeep , there not an offroader

there are only a few genuine off roaders

landcruiser , pajero , isuzu , landrover defender and discovery , few more perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

thought they were only available in petrol
    They are.
    besides a subaru forrester is an urban jeep , there not an offroader

there are only a few genuine off roaders

landcruiser , pajero , isuzu , landrover defender and discovery , few more perhaps
    An urban jeep? You've been reading the wrong comics, my friend. I'm not sure how far offroad the OP needs to go, but I think it may well do the job. Here's one going through quite a big puddle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yub2uZ5Nuo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Just bear in mind moe that if you are towing 2 tonnes with a large 4x4 on public roads, you'll need a BE licence.

A category B licence only permits a total gross weight of 3,500kgs.

Slightly more complicated than that:
    If you hold a category B licence and wish to tow a trailer you may do so provided
    (1) the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle and the combination does not exceed 3500 kg or
    (2) the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer does not exceed 750 kg.
    If you wish to tow a heavier trailer you must hold a category EB licence.

Going by the first condition, the gross weight of the trailer cannot exceed the unladen vehicle weight so theoretically the max gross trailer weight would be 1750kg on a B license. So in theory the Supreme Rosette with gross weight of 1750kg would be acceptable as long as your vehicle's unladen weight is not >1750kg. :)

Note the "or" between the two conditions. The wording of this is a bit ambiguous.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

javaboy wrote: »
    Slightly more complicated than that:
    Not the combination of weights bit which I was referring to. ;) but you are correct - it can get a bit complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Not the combination of weights bit which I was referring to. ;) but you are correct - it can get a bit complicated.

I know I'm just trying to muddy the waters ;)

I reckon they're should be an "and" rather than an "or" between those two conditions. The very same website I got that quote from also says this about category B:

"Vehicles (other than motorcycles, mopeds, work vehicles or land tractors) having a design gross vehicle weight not exceeding 3,500 kg and having passenger accommodation for not more than 8 persons and where the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer is not greater than 750kg."

That would suggest that you can't have a trailer with GVW>750kg even if it does not push your total gross weight over 3500kg and the unladen car is>=the trailer's GVW. Seems contradictory to me. To the statute books! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

A manual is a better choice for towing IMO. You have engine braking which you don't get from an Auto(unless you put it into manual mode, which defeats the purpose of an Auto), so less wear and tear on the brakes, plus Autoboxes tend to sap more power from the engine, which means they're slower.

Engine braking is a wonderful thing normally, and I'm sure it's even more useful when towing:).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Toe:

toe-tm.jpg

Tow:

bin-tow1.jpg
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

I guess it depends on whats in the horsebox..........

• Advertisement

Toe:

toe-tm.jpg

Tow:

bin-tow1.jpg
    :D

thats one ugly toe you got there

Advertisement