Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

would this thing toe a horsebox

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

Anan1 wrote: »
    They are.

An urban jeep? You've been reading the wrong comics, my friend. I'm not sure how far offroad the OP needs to go, but I think it may well do the job. Here's one going through quite a big puddle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yub2uZ5Nuo

ive no interest in buying a petrol jeep , i do like subaru though , pity they never really took off

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

E92 wrote: »
    You have engine braking which you don't get from an Auto(unless you put it into manual mode, which defeats the purpose of an Auto), so less wear and tear on the brakes, plus Autoboxes tend to sap more power from the engine, which means they're slower.

Engine braking is a wonderful thing normally, and I'm sure it's even more useful when towing:).
    I disagree E92.

Engine breaking when towing a trailer is potentially dangerous as only the towing vehicle is being 'braked' and not the trailer.

One of the first things one is taught when learning to drive an articulated truck is that only the brakes must be used to slow down or stop. Otherwise it may jack-knife.

Personally I would rather have 'wear and tear' placed on the brakes rather than the gearbox. Brakes are much less expensive to replace/repair.

"Brakes to slow, gears to go". ;)

irish_bob wrote: »
    thats one ugly toe you got there
    He probably took it from Google Image. It's hardly his own! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Note that the Shogun would be closer to €20k once VRT is paid. As said the LWB would be better for pulling a horsebox (or anything more than a jet ski really).

It's worth making note that the Auto box in the Pajero 3.2 and the Cruiser are 5 speed, whereas the Patrol is a 4 Speed unit, so expect that to be rougher and drink more diesel.

Overall if you could stretch get a Cruiser, but the Pajero is almost indestructable too. It does the Dakar every year no bother so you can take it for granted that the LWB will go almost anwhere it can keep 3 wheels on the ground.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

ninty9er wrote: »
    Note that the Shogun would be closer to €20k once VRT is paid. As said the LWB would be better for pulling a horsebox (or anything more than a jet ski really).

It's worth making note that the Auto box in the Pajero 3.2 and the Cruiser are 5 speed, whereas the Patrol is a 4 Speed unit, so expect that to be rougher and drink more diesel.

Overall if you could stretch get a Cruiser, but the Pajero is almost indestructable too. It does the Dakar every year no bother so you can take it for granted that the LWB will go almost anwhere it can keep 3 wheels on the ground.

thats interestng about the nissan patrol , it is important though to fancy a car or jeep straight away when you sit into it
    thats the feeling i got when i sat into the patrol
    great presence on the road and very very cheap , the downside is i have no need for even half the cargo space plus it would be tricky on narrow roads
    something very cool about the patrol though i think

dont know what it is but i think lwb,s are very ugly looking compared to swb,s
    granted there less bouncy , i dont like them at all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

irish_bob wrote: »
    not so easy if your 6ft5 let me tell you

opinions on autos have to be taken with a pinch of salt in this country
    no other country has avoided autos like we have
    our love of them traditionally would be slightly less than our love of the idea of nuclear power

I'm 192cm (6ft 4) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Toe:

bin-tow1.jpg
    :D

Quick question, where would I get one of those items to tow a wheely bin with a tow hitch? We live up a long laneway and putting the bin in the boot is annoying! I've tried e-bay, what are they called?

astraboy wrote: »
    Quick question, where would I get one of those items to tow a wheely bin with a tow hitch? We live up a long laneway and putting the bin in the boot is annoying! I've tried e-bay, what are they called?
    http://www.bin-tow.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

He probably took it from Google Image.

Indeed, I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Re 'B' licence towing limits....

The "or" bit means where the GVW of the towing vehicle is 3500kg, you can only tow a trailer with a GVW of 750kg. i.e. total GVW = 4250kg.
    This is the only time you can exceed the 3500kg rule on a 'B' licence. (For example, a large Ford Transit towing a domestic trailer, or a small caravan)

The wording on the Irish DoT site isnt very clear. Have a look at the UK DVLA site which goes into more detail (though they use 'Maximum Authorised Mass' rather than 'Gross Vehicle Weight')

• Advertisement

Silvera wrote: »
    Re 'B' licence towing limits....

The "or" bit means where the GVW of the towing vehicle is 3500kg, you can only tow a trailer with a GVW of 750kg. i.e. total GVW = 4250kg.
    This is the only time you can exceed the 3500kg rule on a 'B' licence. (For example, a large Ford Transit towing a domestic trailer, or a small caravan)

The wording on the Irish DoT site isnt very clear. Have a look at the UK DVLA site which goes into more detail (though they use 'Maximum Authorised Mass' rather than 'Gross Vehicle Weight')
    I don't think that is correct. Get you copy of the ROTR - page 17:

"If you hold a Full Category B Licence, you may tow a trailer only if the unladen weight of your towing vehicle is at least the same as the trailer's DGVW and the combined DGVW of the vehicle and trailer is no more than 3500kgs.When using a car to tow a heavier trailer, you must hold a category BE licence".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

cormie wrote: »
    saw a little car towing a ford transit jumbo last night, anything's possible :D

Thing is you could tow a fairly big plane with a Fiesta (sure the clutch would get a death), the problem is stopping it!
    Thats the single most important thing to keep in mind when towing.
    E92 wrote:
    You have engine braking which you don't get from an Auto(unless you put it into manual mode, which defeats the purpose of an Auto), so less wear and tear on the brakes, plus Autoboxes tend to sap more power from the engine, which means they're slower.

Engine braking is a wonderful thing normally, and I'm sure it's even more useful when towing

The losses with modern auto boxes are a lot lower than before, also the torque converter offers torque multiplication, which can be handy too. I wouldnt rule out a "good" auto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I disagree E92.

Engine breaking when towing a trailer is potentially dangerous as only the towing vehicle is being 'braked' and not the trailer.

One of the first things one is taught when learning to drive an articulated truck is that only the brakes must be used to slow down or stop. Otherwise it may jack-knife.

Personally I would rather have 'wear and tear' placed on the brakes rather than the gearbox. Brakes are much less expensive to replace/repair.

"Brakes to slow, gears to go". ;)

Fair enough, I stand corrected. Not exactly familiar with trucks you know;)!(I know Volvo make 'em, and that's cause they have the bar going across the front like their cars do, other than that I know nothing about trucks!)

I don't really get the engine braking thing though re only the towing vehicle being braked though.
    Forgive my ignorance, but when you use the actual brakes, isn't it only the towing vehicle that's being braked there as well too?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Forgive my ignorance, but when you use the actual brakes, isn't it only the towing vehicle that's being braked there as well too?

On the small litlle trailers yes, but on larger things like horse boxes, the electrical loom has a braking function too (or at least should for all our sakes:eek::eek:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

He probably took it from Google Image. It's hardly his own! ;)
    Ya did alright ya hairy toed freak...!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Fair enough, I stand corrected. Not exactly familiar with trucks you know;)!(I know Volvo make 'em, and that's cause they have the bar going across the front like their cars do, other than that I know nothing about trucks!)

I don't really get the engine braking thing though re only the towing vehicle being braked though.

Not quite the case with cars/jeeps as with trucks though.

horseboxes, and pretty much all trailers <3500kg gvw used in europe have overrun brakes, which operate by pushing the trailer into the towing vehicle which in turn pulls on a brake cable.

hence engine braking will also have just the same effect as using the footbrakes.

whereas on a larger trailer the brakes are linked to the towing vehicle's brakes so they will actuate only when the brake pedal is pressed.

a swb pajero will be grand for towing a two horse box.

as will an auto.

as long as you stay within the manufacturers limits you should be ok, however it is good to be extra cautious when you are approaching these limits, as the vehicle will tow it, but everything is more exxagerated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

The larger trailers all have brakes that work with your brakes in the towing vehicle, so when you apply your brakes the brakes in the trailer kick in too.
    This is done by the electrical plug you use for the lights. When you brake a signal is sent to the trailer to apply its own brakes as well.
    Trucks have air brakes on the trailers to stop them jack-knifing. Modern trucks also have engine brakes, which are used to help the slowing process overall.
    Some smaller trailers have brakes that are applied thorugh the hitch arm that slides forward when you brake. This in turn triggers the trailer brakes. (I-for Williams trailers)

Advertisement