Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGA - 4x20 - The Last Man [SPOILERS]

• 08-03-2008 10:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭

420_header.jpg

Episode synopsis from TV.com:

Sheppard returns from a mission and finds Atlantis abandoned and surrounded by sand dunes. He soon finds a hologram of Dr. McKay, who tells him he has come forty thousand years into the future, and everyone is long dead. But the McKay hologram has a plan to save the city and restore Sheppard to his own time.

What did you think of 4x20 The Last Man? 42 votes

A for Asguard
    0%
    Good
    45%
    SickBoyYakuzaVolvagiaNeoSlicerZMr Ebalkieb2002god's toyNeoRoxUser45701thelordofcheesedrive3331SherifuDingChavezdemanhellboy99Bubs101ThorDr BobIan Beale 19 votes
    McKay
    23%
    BabyEaterGerardKeatingteck-x5bada_bingVince135792003evilboyseanOverhealrobby^5NiskaKrieg 10 votes
    Bad
    26%
    Karl HungusIvan_Kaiser_PugsleyPepe LeFritsmatrimixoyJIZZLORDsenordingdongcotwoldEmoMatt15 11 votes
    I cried
    4%
    alastair_doomdori_dormer 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Good
    Ok, I loved the 1969/2010 episodes from sg1. This episode took it a step further by throwing the traveller 48,000 years into the future instead of a couple of years into the past. It also reminded me of the early sg1 episode There But For the Grace of God where Daniel touches the mirror and sees what can happen in the future. Using future Rodney as a holographic narrator worked very well. It turns out Teyla's baby is as important as we thought and if Michael gets the baby he will wipe out the Wraith and humans in pegasus.

There were some great stand out scenes for me; Sam's kamikaze run - reminded me of voyager's "year of hell", Ronan and Todd having their last stand - funny Ronan dies working with a Wraith, Wolsey as the new leader of Atlantis - uniform is terrible on him, Rodney and Jennifer getting together - with Earth out the window awww, Rodney talking to General Lorne -class and of course the crushing last 5 seconds of the episode. I really like seeing the way things could turn out in these timeline episodes even if they are used a lot in sci-fi.
    Rodney wrote:
    We worked day and night, side by side. Zalenka may have been there aswell.
    Rodney wrote:
    I wish some of these stories had happier endings
    Rodney wrote:
    I was down in the infirmary having suffered a, well, pretty serious injury
    :D

Outstanding. 10/10

p.s. - Apologies for mangling Asgard, I submitted the poll too quickly and can't edit it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Good
    have to argee with you that episode was brilliant very good thinking aswell didnt think they would use the same storyline for atlantis but they did and it pulled it off with flying colours if you asked me.

cant wait for the new season to start and i wonder how they are going to come out of the whole doom at the end

Good
    It was really unexpected, by me anyway, that they'd pull out the solar flare time travel for the finale. Having read no spoilers I had imagined going a completely different direction - e.g. chasing after Michael. I agree Giarc18, thought the execution was brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Good
    Ye fantastic episode, like you i thought about the season 1 - the first part in the 4 parter where danial touches the mirror in the first part. I was worried early on though because with everything 48,000 years into the future i didnt see how they would have the inpending doom aspact that the episode with the quantom mirror had, SGC being overun falling back trying to hold the gate ,everynone dying ect. But this episode really pulled it off. I loved the Ronan and Todd scence. Great ending and ye cant wait for season 5, at least it wont be a 13 month wait like BSG. It should be out in only a few months hopefully the end of the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

This has really been a very strong season for Atlantis.

Thought it was a great episode and a great season :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

Good
    Thats cruel cruel I tell you!Leaving us hanging like that:eek:Fantastic episode a lot of unexpected scenes and good humour especially when
    McKay asked Shepard "Do I still have hair *pause*...No"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Bad
    I didn't like this episode, gave it a McKay because of the cliffhanger but other than that and a few good lines it was pretty bad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

is this the end of the season?

bastards

Good
    Mordeth wrote: »

bastards
    Yup, Standard 20 Standard Cliffhanger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Thought it was OK but the effects were pretty abysmal. The storyline in the future was decent enough. But then there was the "we've only two minutes to go but I know how to fix it" that Stargate regularly goes in for.
    A good season nevertheless especially the second half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

Mordeth wrote: »

bastards
    My feelings exactly, give season 5 :mad:.I thought the episode itself was great, totally unexpected ark to finish off the season.I liked the way they handled the various deaths of the characters.The irony of ronan's was nicely handled.Only thing i hate about stargate is when the season ends and we are left hanging :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,644 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

McKay
    great ep i wouldve given it a solid 10 but i dunno.. i wanted more. I love how rodney shyed away from having to answer why the DHD failsafe didnt stop the wormhole from dialing through a solar flare :D classic writer torchlighting. at least they poked fun at it so ill let it pass.

mckay and jewel state? Im sorry but no: shes mine.

always enjoyable scenes with todd and i look forward to how michaels plans unfoil now with a spanner in the works. strange that the replicators arent mentioned. And i guess sammy will be getting the phoenix sometime next season :)

9/10

Good
    I was dissapointed the phionex wasent a new class/model of ship.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Bad
    I thought it was quite average to poor to be honest. It was a bunch of plots from old episodes recycled into one infinitesimally unlikely story.

Most of the flash-backs were pure cheese (not to mention watching flashbacks that you know will be erased made them somewhat pointless), and some of the FX really didn't come off.

Also, I'd say that Major Lorne is a goner. They've set it up so that'll be Sheppard and McKay's price for changing the timeline.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Bad
    Wasn't overly impressed either unfortunately. Carter's final regular episode is one where most of the events of the episode are set in an alternate time line that's undone by one of the other major characters who, alone, retrains memories of that time line. Very different to SG-1's Season 10 finale then...

I thought some of the endings were also a bit cheesy - Ronan's blaze of glory, Sam's final run. In fact having Sam ram a ship home was a pretty poor way for someone whose cerebral skills are what we should be celebrating - her ending would have suited Jack far more.

I liked most of McKay's storyline and he is just about obsessive enough to spend his whole life working on an issue (Kate Hewlitt's appearance was wasted though). I don't really buy his relationship with Kaylee though - thought she had more chemistry with Ronan (and what happened there? Writers change their mind?)

Do like the way they've pumped up Michael as the Super Villain that this show has lacked. I think he works quite well and I hope he isn't just shot down in S5's opening.
    Also liked Wolsey taking over - he makes more sense than Carter still given the IOA's involvement in SGA and that Atlantis was meant to have a civilian in charge, as Weir was.

A few other niggling things (such as some poor SFX, particularly winsome when Ronan's "army" were cheering and waving their copy-and-pasted arms) and a whole "reset" idea that's been done before and a bit of a muted ending for me. Still an excellent second half of a season, but I would have been happier if they'd ended on "Kindred (Part 1)" as I felt it was a stronger show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Good
    I really enjoyed this episode, McKay's acting carried it for me.

McKay
    Nah it was bog standard mckay. hes much better when he has to talk to himself, pretend to be a woman, imagine he is speaking to imaginary woman, coming from an alternate reality, etc etc etc. Like I say, bog standard McKay.

This just isnt anything like the SG1 finales. I remember big fukoff explosions: sclae model demolitions (of pyramids) that look awesome, and epic battles to tell our grandchildren. Not this crap.

Yea SGA is on the way out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Bad
    Wasn't wild about it either.

The last man/future element was interesting and tbh, I would have been more interested to know what was going on 48000 years into the future, then the crappy flashbacks we were given. Teylas was reasonable enough, Ronins was pure Ronin but something didn't sit right about it (other then the dumb army of tinkers), Carters was just ridiculous, Woolsey was abit weird, not just because he looked so awkward in the ever strange Atlantis uniform, but he had undergone another personality change.

The McKay Kellar thing didn't bother me because they hinted at it before, but the two of them just walking away to Earth knowing the entire galaxy they previously loved was being decimated was poorly thought out.
    Also, the lack of detail into what was going on with Michael conquering the galaxy was abit ****. And I really hate that cliffhangar.

Average at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,893 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Bad
    Wasn't pushed about it either...

As usual David Hewlett was excellent and carried what was a pretty average episode in truth. Yes there was some great humor, yes I always enjoy these time travel episodes, but as someone else said I'd have been more interested in seeing what was going on 48000 years later than a series of flashbacks that ultimately were all going to be reset anyway.

As a mid-season episode it would have been very good, but a season finalé? No. I guess they spent the budget earlier this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Good
    Thought it was a great episode.

As for season 5, I really hope that if it is the last season, they try and do a Sharpe with it and start to kill off the main characters as they try and stop what happens in the vision in vain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

I cried
    Didnt enjoy it myself. Felt a bit laboured. Trying too hard to tug at the heart strings, but as pointed out, it was difficult as its all gonna be undone and so totally pointless.

The plot would have been great if it was really relevant, but they give all this story and plot, and take it away just as quickly. They all die heroically, oh wait, no they didnt, lets go back to where we were at the start of the ep. Broadcasting that everything is going to be reset before the flashbacks really made it difficult for me to care.

Was surprised they gave Todd an ending. Suppose they consider him a regular cast member now?

Looking bad for Mjr Lorne alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Bad
    The whole episode was fairly pointless since you knew from the get go that it was all going to be undone, all you needed from this was the last 5 minutes, if Michael gets hold of the baby the galaxy is doomed. Everything else was fairly pointless, at times very well executed generally, but ultimately pointless.

Was also surprised they gave Todd an ending, never seen that one coming, love his sarcastic dry wit, hope to see more of him.

Overall season4 was pretty good, second half was by and large one solid episode after another, with no huge blunders, but the first half of the season was rather poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭EmoMatt15

Bad
    I thought It was good except for the rushing of the last ten minutes
    Also Michael Is good as a super villain but Theres nothing out about how the hell he uses Taylas kid to take over the galaxy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Good

The plot would have been great if it was really relevant, but they give all this story and plot, and take it away just as quickly. They all die heroically, oh wait, no they didnt, lets go back to where we were at the start of the ep. Broadcasting that everything is going to be reset before the flashbacks really made it difficult for me to care.

You see, I think it is relevant. There was nothing to indicate at the end of that episode that Tayla was there or that they got her. Now she wasn't and presuming they don't let the Micheal loop end in the next few episodes then they are no closer to finding her so Micheal may still get the child.

Also, when you look at the flashbacks one of the thing that was shown definitly happens
    Woolsey taking over in season 5 and Major Carter coming back for sporadic appearances
    which would fit in with her having a ship. I think season 5 will be about what difference Sheppard makes with his knowledge of what will happen as they try and combat Micheal. i.e. saving Kayleigh because he knows that the overexposure would kill her.

Good
    The big differences in the future presented in this episode were Sheppard not being around [as he was sent to the future] and nobody having any idea where Teyla was and how important her baby was.
    That's why it reminded me so much of the sg1 episode "There But For the Grace of God", the main differences between the realities there were T'ealc never joined the SGC and they never knew about the G'ould threat or the address of the stargate on the mothership.
    Foretold is forewarned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Bad
    I hate you all.
    I havent watched atlantis properly since episode 6 of season 4. Watched this today because had a brief look in at the polls and saw 12 people thought it was excellent.

BUT IT WASNT!
    It was ok, average even. Great for an Atlantis episode I guess, but just average as a stargate one. Lots of issues that bugged me (as always) but the primary one: 2 minutes to go from; Hilol, I'm back from the future and have vital information that could allow us to progress the stagnant main story arc... err... I mean go find Teyla.

She's in here, but oh wait. Its a trap. Who would have thought that arriving 18 days or so before the future expedition searched there, could result in a different result. Hmm, curious that.

Oh well, time for a big explosion and the stupidest ever "cliffhangar" I have ever seen in a stargate episode. I mean, the building is blown up. It literally falls on top of them all. I guess it has served its purposee as a cliffhangar because I literally cannot wait for the next episode so that I can laugh at what an abysmal attempt they make and making sense out of it all.

Argh. Cancel the stupid show already. Hrmmph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Bad
    Bubs101 wrote: »
    You see, I think it is relevant. There was nothing to indicate at the end of that episode that Tayla was there or that they got her. Now she wasn't and presuming they don't let the Micheal loop end in the next few episodes then they are no closer to finding her so Micheal may still get the child.

Also, when you look at the flashbacks one of the thing that was shown definitly happens
    Woolsey taking over in season 5 and Major Carter coming back for sporadic appearances
    which would fit in with her having a ship. I think season 5 will be about what difference Sheppard makes with his knowledge of what will happen as they try and combat Micheal. i.e. saving Kayleigh because he knows that the overexposure would kill her.
    P.s. you give the Atlantis writers WAAAAAAAY too much credit.

McKay
    Shut up Ivan let us hang on to the last bits of sci fi goodness at the bottom of the barrel. All we have to look forward to: more of this; battlestar (which had a **** 3rd season); Heroes (which had a ****tier sencond season than bsg had a third); Bionic Woman (also ****, and cancelled I hear); and Flash Gordon (**** by design: but even then, still ****).

So chillax. The status quo is just piss poor. Now would be a great time in history for a network to pick up Firefly for a second run.

Good
    Well i thought season 3 of BSG was amazing its been such a long wait but its almost over. SGA helps with my scifix but its not the best out there. Damm stickey keys!!!! *sigh* they wreck my head i think season five has a good chance

• Advertisement

McKay
    The first half of Season 3 was fantastic but then you had a buncha fillery episodes in the second half that just didnt maintain the actiony-pace that I craved.

I dont predict SGA will make it to season 6.

Advertisement