Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

International Women's Day

• 08-03-2008 11:06am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I know I'm always harping on about women's rights and the like but it's International Women's day today! :)

Some great videos from the Guardian. 1st video is a summary of the other 3.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/interactive/2008/mar/07/women

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

So it seems this day is to highlight the plight of women in third world countries. Is there anything about this day that is relevant to us?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Why does this have to be turned into something controversial?

If nothing else, just be aware that it's happing. If you want to do something more, give money to organisations like Action Aid. If you want to do even more, consider ensuring that your purchases are ethical as they impact on these people's lives. Next step, get personally involved with NGOs like Action Aid and donate some of your time or expertise.

It is a global message, and is relevant in all countries but obviously women in other countries have more serious, pressing issues than in Ireland. There's a story there from a woman in Cyprus - is that close enough to home for you?

If you want to find out look more here:

http://www.internationalwomensday.com/

taconnol wrote: »
    Why does this have to be turned into something controversial?

I'm not going down that route. Of course I recognise there are women suffereing everywhere, but I was just curious if there was anything that Womens day does for you and me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I think I'll be a man for womens day. I hate that kind of pat on the back, feel good crap these events exude. I'm not going to celebrate anything just because of the chromosomal fusion that lead to me being female.

I wouldn't see it as a celebration. I see it as a day to remember that there are still a lot of people in the world that suffer because of their gender. A lot of it probably boils down to poverty, which is experienced by both genders, but this day focuses particularly on Women.
    well thats how I see it anyway. I don't know much about how the day relates to women in Ireland, seeing as it's called 'international' thats why I was asking what do any of you think?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

I knew this would happen...why can't women's issues be highlighted without moans about 'excluding' other people? Does that mean International AIDS day should be scrapped because it 'excludes' people with similarly serious diseases that don't happen to be AIDS? Should we have a general 'Life-threatening Terminal Disease Day'? International Children's day? That excludes adults so that should be scrapped too. I just don't understand this logic.

Windock. IMO, I suppose this is more about reminding us that women abroad do not enjoy the same freedom & equality that we do. Although I would also consider it as a reminder that we don't have full equality in this country and there are still serious issues with domestic violence and rape. 140 women killed in domestic violence since 1995 in Ireland. We stll have a way to go.

Wow, I am not having a moan at all. Please show me where I moaning? I think perhaps you are taking my posts up the wrong way. I'm not having a go at the day at all. I think it is great that there is a day to highlight troubles of women, I was just simply asking what it means to Irish women in particular.

WindSock wrote: »
    Wow, I am not having a moan at all. Please show me where I moaning? I think perhaps you are taking my posts up the wrong way. I'm not having a go at the day at all. I think it is great that there is a day to highlight troubles of women, I was just simply asking what it means to Irish women in particular.

Ah Windsock I wasn't havin a go at you. 1st part of my post was directed at other poster. I don't think you're moaning at all. I did take you up a bit wrongly on your first post so apologies for that. In the context that you mean, its a v good question.

Oh and what did you think of my answer? :)

Right so, with all that behind us :) I will have to say that I didn't even realise it was Womens day today. I first heard of it yesterday on bgrh of all places.
    Has anyone here done anything for Womens day today?

Well in my opinion, rape and domestic violence aren't exclusivley Womens issues here, as the perpetrators can get caught and get punished. It only worries me that in some countries, people can blatently get away with it and in many cases it's 'the Womans fault' etc.
    I would be more concerned with things like equal pay here and equal promotional oppertunity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

taconnol wrote: »
    140 women killed in domestic violence since 1995 in Ireland. We stll have a way to go.
    A way to go till what? Till it's zero? That's very few, 10 a year, probably lower than at any point in history.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

WindSock wrote: »
    Well in my opinion, rape and domestic violence aren't exclusivley Womens issues here, as the perpetrators can get caught and get punished. It only worries me that in some countries, people can blatently get away with it and in many cases it's 'the Womans fault' etc.
    There are about 3 convictions for rape for every 200 reported to the well woman's centre. So we're not there yet.

Equal pay ?
    If women can do the same job as men for 15% less and payroll is a major part of many organisations costs ...
    Surly companies can take insurance against key employees getting pregnant - if so what are the costs and can they claim back tax on them, it's got to be a lot less than 15% a year !

On the other hand, on average people change careers three times in their lives , so the old chestnut about women loosing out by taking off time to raise children is complete tosh.

On the other hand, on average people change careers three times in their lives , so the old chestnut about women loosing out by taking off time to raise children is complete tosh.

In my field the stats show that female graduates earn 9% less than their male counterparts from day 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Moonbaby wrote: »
    In my field the stats show that female graduates earn 9% less than their male counterparts from day 1.

Men's brains weigh on average 1.25kg, Women's - 1.15kg.

Men's brains are on average 8.695% heavier (heavier/more full of brainy smarty clever goodness), this figure is far too close to the 9% earnings difference you mention to be a mere coincidence.

In closing, I fully believe women are entitled to recieve a 0.305% pay increase across the board, and fair play to them - they've earned it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Men's brains weigh on average 1.25kg, Women's - 1.15kg.

Men's brains are on average 8.695% heavier (heavier/more full of brainy smarty clever goodness), this figure is far too close to the 9% earnings difference you mention to be a mere coincidence.

but you forgot that brain size is always but in the context of overall body weight and hence it averages out that the brain weight to body weight ratio is actually higher for women than men

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

ali.c wrote: »
    but you forgot that brain size is always but in the context of overall body weight

So men are bigger, and hence have bigger brains?
    True. I concur.
    ali.c wrote: »
    and hence it averages out that the brain weight to body weight ratio is actually higher for women than men

This bit though, I don't see any basis for?
    I don't understand why you believe that the ratio changes all of a sudden?

Interestingly, I just now did a quick google to find out the average height of a man and of a woman.....

(These figures are from 2002, and are from the U.S, I'm sure there are varying figures around, but these will do because they are from the same source. I imagine the general average height is rising and rising each generation but I don't imagine the ratio between men and women is changing by any significant amount)

Link - Average Man's Height -
    • 69.2 inches, or
    • 5 feet 9.2 inches
    Link - Average Woman's Height -
    • 63.8 inches, or
    • 5 feet 3.8 inches

The interesting thing to me is that the average man is 8.463% taller than the average woman, which is practically the same difference between the average brain sizes of each gender - (8.695%).
    I guess it's probably one of those numbers that shows up time and time again, one of those 'magic' ratios, I'm guessing, but I have no real clue on the subject. :D

In closing, considering us humans apparently only use about 10% of our brain's power, having a 10% lighter/heavier brain really means nothing,
    It is how you use it, regardless of gender that counts.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The-Rigger wrote:
    In closing, considering us humans apparently only use about 10% of our brain's power, having a 10% lighter/heavier brain really means nothing,
    It is how you use it, regardless of gender that counts.
    we don't use just 10% of our brains
    human brain is a massive drain on resources - 25% of energy , loads of omega 3 and unlike most other tissues a constant supply of oxygen and glucose
    there should be massive evloutionary pressure for it to be fully used, even a few percent improvement in efficiency would mean early hunter gathers would need less food and lower quality food. Only a few close calls due to starvation would change survival rates. So it's pretty safe to say our brains aren't any bigger than then need to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

The-Rigger wrote: »

This bit though, I don't see any basis for?
    I don't understand why you believe that the ratio changes all of a sudden?

Obviously i wasnt very clear lol! They use the % of the brain with regard to total body weight to get an indication of how evolved the species is. Women have a lower total body weight on average and hence the % of body weight taken up by the brain is higher therefore we have larger brains for average body size. I have references somewhere sure I'll dig them out later for the laugh!

Advertisement