Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling a .ie Business & More...

Options
  • 08-03-2008 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Morning folks,
    Just looking for some advice on selling up my .ie business.

When I say the word business, I mean the domain, the website, the connections and everything that goes with it. Trouble is, I have absolutely no idea what it's worth. It's basically a website that is ready to go with a great domain name for a specific industry which has billions pumped into it each year (the industry, not my site unfortunately :D). The domain name itself is very versatile and could be used by a lot of the bigger names in said industry to promote their product to the Irish market, or else it could be used by somebody who wants to push the websites own brand.

So where can I get an evaluation of what the actual business is worth? With very little in terms of accounts and stats and a severe downturn in activity over the past few months, it's hard to show the positive potential of the site to interested buyers, and there has been a few so far, even without me showing any intention to even sell. As I said, it's a great domain name and could be used by so many in the industry.

The problem with the likes of Sedo and other domain evaluation sites is that, as far as I know, they only base the value on google ranking, length of domain name and a few other basic things. So I'm not sure if they could evaluate the worth of this domain correctly. As well as just the one domain, there is also an unfinished project that was being worked on that would be going with the site, which could also be worth a good bit to the industry.

Another thing is that it would feel a shame to just sell the whole lot. If possible, I'd like to keep some hold in the business, even just 5 or 10%. If this means a lower selling price then fine, as I said, the site has great potential and it would be great to still remain part of my creation.

If anyone can lend any advice on where I should go to value the business as a whole and how I could go about selling it and keeping a %. Also, am I likely to run into problems given that it's a .ie domain? Obviously I'd have to sell the Irish business name too?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Is this a guessing game????

The value of your domain, like everything else is what someone is willing to pay for it, Now one way of find out this is by putting it up for sale anything else is a guess, possibly an educated guess, but still a guess.

Also your domain name would be very helpful in guessing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

it's one thing giving people something to go on, but without a domain name and type of industry, it's like counting how many sweets are in a jar.

It might also be a good idea, for the last three months of business, to give everything you have to the website, all your time, etc. This will make the website more profitable and will surge your profits, also, potential investors will jump at a website which is suddenly getting better revenue. They want in on the boat before it's too expensive for them.

thats all the advice I can give without a domain or at least something to go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Without knowing _exactly_ what the site and domain is nobody is going to be able to give you any meaningful advice.

Is it currently trading?

If so, for how long?

How much have you invested in it?

How much is it worth to you?

Sedo and other marketplaces do offer full valuations, but it sounds like you haven't got a live site?

Advertisement