Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Instant fail.

Options
  • 08-03-2008 12:18pm

I was surprised to read that gesturing to other roadusers is a grade three.

Has anyone any other grade 3's?

Running a red light isn't...been there done that..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I "beckoned on" a lady crossing with a pram in my test and still passed, it's just one of the minor ones I think. Unless there is another for other types of gestures to road users? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

It seems to depend on the tester, I'm sure people have posted on here before about getting grade 3s for running red lights.

I always thought hitting the kerb was a grade 3 but I did it during my last test and only got a grade 2. Apparently if I'd gone up onto the kerb that would have been an instant fail alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Yeah rain on I think you would be correct, as hitting the kerb and mounting the kerb are totaly different.

As if you hit the kerb, it may be down too your nerves on the test.

But actully mounting the kerb is showing that your totaly not in control of the vechile or even notice your on the footpath.

And I would say running a red light is also a fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

Not stopping at a stop sign or running a red light all fall under the category of "complete disregard for traffic controls" and are (or should be) an instant fail, also if you do stop but disregard a painted stopline, that too is an instant fail. Hitting an obstacle is also a fail or can be, as can letting the car roll back down any gradient.
    There is an aspect in the driving test report about "Beckoning Others" (on older report sheets) on the newer ones it's "Do Not Beckon Others." It has boxes for all 3 grades of faults, so I presume it is possible to get a Grade 1 for beckoning but I don't know how you would manage to get one.
    So directing an errant pedestrian to "go ahead" would be an instant fail, or at very least a Grade 2. I assume that giving a more rude beckon would also be an instant fail.

Any tester who doesn't mark a Grade 3 for disregarding a red light should be considering a new career.

SeanW wrote: »

Any tester who doesn't mark a Grade 3 for disregarding a red light should be considering a new career.

Shush!!! until after I pass.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

SeanW wrote: »

Totaly agree, running a red light is a totaly unsafe.

It shows that;

You are not in control of your car
    You are not aware of what is going on around you

The list is endless.

I have such a strong feeling on this, that I would go as far to say that, there license should be revoked.

Situation were I would feel it fesable to take a red;

Is when turning right and someone runs an amber light clearly knowing that they have a safe distance to stop.

Also I feel strongly on observations is were they get a grade one on this that there license should be revoked. It is a total disregard for other road users and a could be a accident for anyone the driver just happent to not "see" .

msg11 wrote: »
    Totaly agree, running a red light is a totaly unsafe.

It shows that;

The list is endless.

I have such a strong feeling on this, that I would go as far to say that, there license should be revoked.

Running a red light doesn't automatically indicate anything other than poor judgement and bad manners.

(a) They would have to give tumbleweeds right of way, If they tried to put everyone who ever ran the red at the top end of a roadworks tailback off the road.

For the record. I was nervous. The tester had given me a harsh grade 2 for progression already.The light was amber when I decided to go. The way was clear, and the other lanes hadn't gotten the green light yet. I was travelling at a speed where I could have stopped on a six pence. I don't do that normally except in situation (a).

She did accuse me of trying to kill her early in the test though and that wasn't a grade 3 either.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

msg11 wrote: »
    While not condoning the practise for one minute, what makes you think that those who run a red light are not in control of their vehicle and they are not aware of what's going on around them?

In my experience, they are perfectly aware that the lights have changed but go through deliberately to avoid being delayed.
    Moonbaby wrote: »
    If they tried to put everyone who ever ran the red at the top end of a roadworks tailback off the road
    The problem with traffic lights at roadworks is that (and I'm open to correction) they usually don't have any legal basis and therefore prosecution is difficult. Most motorists are probably aware of this and that may explain why those who obey standard lights frequently ignore temporary lights.

It's the same with most temporary speed limit signs erected by road works crews.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Moonbaby wrote: »
    The light was amber when I decided to go. The way was clear, and the other lanes hadn't gotten the green light yet. I was travelling at a speed where I could have stopped on a six pence.SIZE]

A solid amber light means stop unless it is unsafe to do so. Unless you were on a box turning right, I don't see why you didn't stop. :confused:

Did this happen during your test?

javaboy wrote: »
    A solid amber light means stop unless it is unsafe to do so. Unless you were on a box turning right, I don't see why you didn't stop. :confused:

Did this happen during your test?

Yes I know thanks. I do stop at amber. Nothing to understand.....I was just stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I think the "beckoning on" is an instant fail as if the pedestrian crosses
    and is hit by a vehicle coming from the other direction, you are deemed
    responsible. Not 100% sure on this but thats what I was told
    (not from instructor/examiner btw, just something that was said to me before)

Many moons ago my uncle was doing his test. Driving fine down the road
    when a mate of his spotted him and waved over. He waved back and was
    failed for not concentrating on the road!

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    I think the "beckoning on" is an instant fail as if the pedestrian crosses
    and is hit by a vehicle coming from the other direction, you are deemed
    responsible. Not 100% sure on this but thats what I was told
    (not from instructor/examiner btw, just something that was said to me before)
    You couldn't really be held responsible but you could be accused of contributing to it. After all, the pedestrian has a duty of care to themselves.

I often heard people complaining that there is very little courtesy on our roads. The main problem IMO is that there is too much mis-placed courtesy. Many Irish motorists think that they are being courteous when they are actually putting others in danger.

I would be very reluctant to allow a pedestrian to cross the street in normal everyday driving . If they were already out on the street, I'd stop/slow down but I would leave it up to them to make the next move as 'Anto' the courier may decide to overtake me at that moment.

I would generally not have a problem with gesturing someone to exit onto my road if they are going the same direction (after checking my mirrors for cyclists/motorcyclists but I'd be wary if they were going in the opposite direction as they may take a gesture to go as meaning there is no traffic coming from the opposite direction.

Another lethal situation where there is much mis-placed courtesy is when a driver is in heavy traffic on the right lane of a two lane road/street. (Such as a bus lane on left). A driver coming the opposite direction wishes to turn right (i.e. across the other driver's path). First driver gestures to second driver to cross. Second driver moves across, 'thanking' the other driver while forgetting about the other lane. Result - dead cyclist/motorcyclist or a car T-boned by a bus.

Some people (especially older drivers) spend too much time 'thanking' all in sundry instead of concentrating on their manoeuvre. Personally I prefer people not to 'thank' but just to get on with it.

Flashing lights should be avoided also as it's confusing. Some people use it as a gesture to proceed while others use it as a warning. How does one know? When merging onto a motorway some drivers on the motorway flash their lights. This can mean it is safe to merge in their opinion but it could also be a warning that you are too close to them and it may not be safe to merge.

My absolute pet hate while driving. Those people who are the last vehicle in a line of traffic or who are the only motorist on a road and they stop to allow a driver to merge into their traffic flow. :( The worst part is that they expect to be 'thanked' for their mis-courtesy! :rolleyes:

Do they not realise that it is much simpler, safer and less confusing for them to continue and the other driver can get out safely after them? Everyone's a winner then. :)

By the way, it's perfectly acceptable to give a short gesture of 'thanks' to another motorist who shows courtesy while on your test but make sure it is safe to manoeuvre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

By the way, it's perfectly acceptable to give a short gesture of 'thanks' to another motorist who shows courtesy while on your test but make sure it is safe to manoeuvre.

during my test I had to pull into a busy main street from a side street, traffic was very heavy and I was waiting ages for a break. One of the drivers stopped to let me out and I very quickly raised my hand to them as thanks - i barely lifted it off the wheel but I then remember the tester in the seat beside me and didn't know if I'd be marked for that so of course without think I went "fcuk shouldn't have done that" out loud and he laughed and said it was ok - only time he spoke to me in the car other then to give directions.

Failed with 10 grade twos in the end - was pissed at myself as at 4 where stupid mistakes I shouldn't have made but was my first go at the test so can only learn and try again. Reading alot of the threads on this board made me think I never really thought about the danger the testers could be putting themselves in - I always think that anyone going for the test has had plenty of lessons/practise and most people fail by accumulating lots of small mistakes - hearing stories about awful drivers going for the test [someone told the tale of a young chinese girl going for the test in the thread about doing the test in other languages and the tester coming back white as a sheet] and getting instant fails would make you a little worried walking/driving down the street in case you came across one of them.

ztoical wrote: »
    hearing stories about awful drivers going for the test [someone told the tale of a young chinese girl going for the test in the thread about doing the test in other languages and the tester coming back white as a sheet] and getting instant fails would make you a little worried walking/driving down the street in case you came across one of them.
    That story came from me. It happened while I was in the waiting room in Finglas prior to doing the artic test.

Advertisement