Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

80's reg plate

Options
  • 08-03-2008 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

getting a classic 1988 911 in from uk.....weekend job.

Can I just put a white reg with black no's on it without the blue IRL tag and county in irish on top. I think post 92 reg plates have to comply but pre I am ok with white back round / black lettering.

I am angling to put a german pattern no. plate on it.....thanking you in advance for your advice....just want to keep those boys in blue from pulling me over.

I remember I had a 480ES in the 90's...yes what a crap car ...with black plates and I was fined...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Yes, I have an 86 911 with plain white plates with the reg in black. Changes in the law regarding reg plates are not retroactive, so whatever was legal in 1988 (plain white plates with the reg in black) is still ok now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Afaik, totally legal for 1988 car would be black on white front, black on red rear. The red might 'help' with speed cameras too. No need for EU logo or County name in Irish.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Anan1 wrote: »
    retroactive

New word of the day!

-VB-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

esel wrote: »
    Afaik, totally legal for 1988 car would be black on white front, black on red rear. The red might 'help' with speed cameras too. No need for EU logo or County name in Irish.

you sure about the red bit? any of our finest out there willing to comment. I think the red plates were valid upto 1986 when we swopped over to years on the plates as in 86-D-123

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Bearcat wrote: »
    you sure about the red bit? any of our finest out there willing to comment. I think the red plates were valid upto 1986 when we swopped over to years on the plates as in 86-D-123
    You are correct except that it was 1st January 1987 when it changed.

Black on red ended at the end of 1986. Black on white from 1987 to 1991 and then the Euro plates from then on

• Advertisement

retroactive
    Volvoboy wrote: »
    New word of the day!

-VB-
    Presumably he meant 'retrospective'. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭dfer

[/QUOTE]Black on white from 1987 to 1991 and then the Euro plates from then on[/QUOTE]

Is that up to the end of 1991? Say if a car was registered in the Ireland in Feb 1991?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'll be registering my classic on ZV plates. do these have to be silver on a black background, or can I use black on white?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

Black on white from 1987 to 1991 and then the Euro plates from then on[/QUOTE]

Is that up to the end of 1991? Say if a car was registered in the Ireland in Feb 1991?[/QUOTE]

Its black on white from January 1987-December 1990 inclusive. February 91 would be the IRL plates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

thanks a million guys for the heads up.....white plates with german type lettering should do the trick

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I'll be registering my classic on ZV plates. do these have to be silver on a black background, or can I use black on white?
    It depends on the type of plate used.

1. Reflex Reflecting Plates

Front: Black chacters on White.
    Rear: Black characters on Red.

2. Non Reflex Plates

Front and Rear: White, Silver or Light Grey characters on a black background.

3. Back Lit Plates

Front: Characters should appear White.
    Rear: Characters should appear White or Red

During non-lighting up times they should appear White on a Black background.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

so can you have black characters on a white background for ZV plates, or are they supposed to always be silver on black?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    so can you have black characters on a white background for ZV plates, or are they supposed to always be silver on black?
    It depends on the material the plate is made of. Silver on black is OK for non reflective plates and is popular because it suits many older vehicles.

You can put the ZV registration on Euro plates (:eek:) but I'm not sure about black on plain white. It would be OK for the front but I'm not sure about the rear.

The lads over in the Classic Car Forum will have better knowledge.
    That's a new one for me. Apologies for thinking you meant 'retrospective'. :)

It depends on the material the plate is made of. Silver on black is OK for non reflective plates and is popular because it suits many older vehicles.

You can put the ZV registration on Euro plates (:eek:) but I'm not sure about black on plain white. It would be OK for the front but I'm not sure about the rear.

The lads over in the Classic Car Forum will have better knowledge.

That's a new one for me. Apologies for thinking you meant 'retrospective'. :)
    That's ok, Wishbone.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

I brought in a car from UK in '04 and in '06 registered it (impatience), will be entitled to classic tax in 2011(30yr) My question is whether I am entitled to apply for a ZV plate in 2011 (more authentic)or the fact that I already cleared it, basically NO!
    Cheers

alpina wrote: »
    I brought in a car from UK in '04 and in '06 registered it (impatience), will be entitled to classic tax in 2011(30yr) My question is whether I am entitled to apply for a ZV plate in 2011 (more authentic)or the fact that I already cleared it, basically NO!
    Cheers
    I think I remember reading somewhere that you are. Can't remember where, though.

alpina wrote: »
    My question is whether I am entitled to apply for a ZV plate in 2011 (more authentic)or the fact that I already cleared it, basically NO!
    Cheers
    Yes, you can change to a ZV plate (but not the other way around) if the vehicle is 30 years old.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

See pdf page 10 - 1(c) of the NCT Manual (PDF)

What the OP is thinking is correct. No need for "The flag of the European Communities, the Nationality Symbol IRL. and the Irish language name of the City/County of registration to be shown."

Just make sure the size / spacing is correct.

The regulations that applied at the time would be S.I. No. 441/1986 — Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) (Amendment) Regulations, 1986.. You could find the details at http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/

I understand "date of first registration" as "date of first registration worldwide"

Anyway, people, back to the main point!
    Bearcat wrote: »
    getting a classic 1988 911 in from uk.....
    Pics??

• Advertisement
Advertisement