Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great PC cooling guide

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Aye pretty good read alright, looks like he still has some work to do on it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

As any1 on boards ever lapped there cpu and is it even worth the bother/risk for getting those extra 5c out of the cpu?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

im lapping mine when my 2000 wet sandpaper arrives :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I've lapped a few chips, can lower temps by up to 5'c. I lapped my stepping b3 q6600 within a week of getting it, lapped an e6600 before that. Say bye, bye to your 3 yr Intel warranty. I only lap as far as 1500grit, anything more is just for show and doesn't gain anything. Start with 200 grit lengthwise strokes, rotate 180' and go in the opposite direction. When changing grit rotate 90' so your not going the same direction all the time and get an even lapping, rotate 180' on each grit, then use 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200 and 1500. You'll get the various sandpaper sheets in any motor factors for a few pence a sheet, no need for a lapping kit.

are u sure its safe ?

is it easy to screw up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

theres a sticky in this forum called "adventures in lapping". Pretty much all the regulars here have lapped at least something

I pretty much lap everything, just so its one less thing to worry about when overclocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

evd, find an old cpu. anthing will do really. and an old stock intel cooler or something.

test lapping on them first. get the hang of it. see what works and what doesnt work.

ye im thinking of that, just wondering where id get an old cpu from, i dont have any anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Put a wanted ad somewhere (adverts.ie), someone will be trying to get rid of something, even an old dell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Evd-Burner wrote: »
    ye im thinking of that, just wondering where id get an old cpu from, i dont have any anymore

you don't need to start with a CPU. Start on an old heatsink first to figure out the process for yourself then after mastering that work onto lapping a CPU... make sure though that its not so old that your lapping silicon, lol. The CPU has to have an IHS attached ;)

• Advertisement

Might just start with the e6600, i did metal work and it doesnt seem all that difficult, i just have to be careful to not press down too hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

:0

metal work it aint! If you have ever had to polish down metal samples for microscope work then its somewhat similar. Just leave the welding kit and angle grinder far from the cpu :).

I would take L31mr0d's advice and work on a stock HS, a 6600 is still an expensive piece of kit to be messing with.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Socket 478 Pentium 4s are great for practicing on

Advertisement