Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helping out a person with a stutter

Options
  • 08-03-2008 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭

I don't have a stutter, and am just curious, as to your opinions.

If you're talking to someone, and get stuck on a word. Would you be offended, or relieved, if the person finished the sentance for you, to help you out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Yeah man i suffer from the problem myself, i go mental if people finish the sentence for me, i dont even like it when people bring it up in conversation, even if they are trying to be helpful, i know it sounds like a terrible thing, but it seems there is so much stigma attached to it these days, that talking about it just makes me uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sadie9

Hi Blisterman, this might help. http://www.stammering.org/conversation.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

kinda waht Khristy said... if it's someone i know really well, i can finish my own danend sentence...

but if it's someone i dont know so well... well, i've already busted my ass to make my point clear on anotber forum, and well, i dont know... im only really a regular on the bodymod forum, and , while im nothe most eloquent there by any means, im able to defend my own, and the peice s of people i've come to care aboute rhe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

The "textbook" says you're supposed to let us finish what we started. If it's a stranger, then yes - wait. If it's somebody you know - just ask them.

I'm the opposite of all above. And it differs from one person to the next - just ask them.
    When my friends know the word I'm trying to say - why leave me hanging? Just ****ing say it. Just say it, and then I can carry on.
    Why be a polite bitch about it?

[Me]"What time are you going to the p.................. [break] p..................... [break] p..................... [break] p....................... [break]"
    [Them]Pub?
    [Me]"F*ck, took you long enough!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

I don't like it when strangers finish my sentences but don't mind family and close friends doing it. My mother is always doing it nearly on every sentence, that can get a bit annoying but I know she's only helping me out and means well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭BigPhil

stephen p wrote: »
    My mother is always doing it nearly on every sentence, that can get a bit annoying but I know she's only helping me out and means well.

Same here! My mother is always trying to finish my sentences but then again I feel that I stutter worse with her then with anybody else. I don't know why that is though :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Jumbo156

BigPhil wrote: »
    Same here! My mother is always trying to finish my sentences but then again I feel that I stutter worse with her then with anybody else. I don't know why that is though :confused:

Don't know why either but I stammered more in front of my mam than anyone else also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 batalos

Ideally Yes, you should wait until the person finishes what they are saying. In practice, this may not always happen. People tend to be inclined to finish sentences even if they person talking doesn't have a stutter and are just searching for a word. The worst thing I think you can probably do is look away. Retaining eye contact is a common thread to many of the stuttering therapies.

Advertisement