Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magical moving boundaries (using Dublin examples here)

Options
  • 08-03-2008 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

Looking at 1 or 2 beds to rent on daft.
    Hopefully somewhere than my current gaff. Great location, ok rent but little more than a studio :(

I'm amazed at the misleading ads on daft. And this is especially important as you can't expect immigrants or even college students outside Dublin to know the difference between areas. After all, they are usually the people who rent.

This is in Artane, possibly Coolock but is advertised as Malahide :eek:
    Does living on the Malahide Road mean you can add Malahide to your address!

So my question is do sellers and their estate agents have to give the correct location for their house in advertisments? Maybe An Post have a definitive list of townlands?

If I was selling a house in Ballymun, can I instruct my agent to tell buyers it's Glasnevin. The prospective buyers might believe it is. Ballybough & Drumcondra? Edenmore & Raheny?
    Sorry, these are the main examples I know.

I know some legislation on false advertising but has a seller ever got a slap on the wrist and told to alter their advertisment by a state body?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You mean a seller or a landlord.

You right they should have to specify the townland. No one does it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Boundaries do tend to be moved by people living there more than anything else. Much of Glasnevin is actually Ballymun, much of Templeogue used to be Tallaght. In the case you highlighted it just seems stupid, perhaps the person posting the ad just presumed it was there? Cos if you were going to see it you'd end up miles away and in that respect it makes no sense. Most places take their addresses from An Post but as the menolly homes-liam lawlor stuff showed they can change too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

micmclo wrote: »
    This is in Artane, possibly Coolock but is advertised as Malahide :eek:
    Does living on the Malahide Road mean you can add Malahide to your address!
    It appears to be a simple mistake by leaving out 'Road', nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Bluetonic wrote: »
    It appears to be a simple mistake by leaving out 'Road', nothing more.
    But the map shows Seabury in Malahide.

Advertisement