Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

driving instructor having a fag and on phone during lesson!

Options
  • 08-03-2008 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Yesterday I forked out 60 quid for a driving lesson (with a popular south dublin school). I'm trying out a few different instructors - to get used to different people in the car and to find a really good one. So for my 60 euro I would say that the level of instruction was very good - he showed me pictures/diagrams to illustrate his points, gave me very specific instruction on observation etc BUT he was on the phone three times during the lesson, had a fag, AND got out of the car at one point to chat to someone for a minute. The funny thing is they are fully booked for weeks in advance. I don't think I'm being too fussy to expect the instructor to be focused on you during a lesson!! Do people find instructors are now just taking the mick because they are raking it in with all the business lately?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I certainly would have pulled him up on the fag. I would have said it to him about his general conduct during the lesson too.

Have you considered contacting the company directly over this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

He also broke the law by smoking in the workplace. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

Was it your car or his? Either way he shouldnt have done it, But if it had been in my own car i would certenly have kicked up a fuss after the lesson about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Little Bo Peep

He smoked when doing the under the bonnet checks. If he had smoked in my car I probably would have gone nuts as I hate smoking!! He is actually the company owner so would just be a complaint directly to him. I think I will just go elsewhere and hopefully have a better experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 raider

can we mention the name of the school so others can avoid them next time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

raider wrote: »
    can we mention the name of the school so others can avoid them next time?
    Certainly not. Please use the PM function!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 raider

Certainly not. Please use the PM function!

alrighty..thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

I can recommend someone for lessons/ pre tests in south Dublin area if you're interested! PM me.

I would have been raging if they had a smoke while I was driving. My instructor got out and had a smoke while I did my 3point/ reverse, no problem with that! Plus to be on the phone is bang out of order IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

spiderdan wrote: »
    Plus to be on the phone is bang out of order IMO!
    It's probably difficult for independent owner/operators as they may work on their own and need to take bookings. I'm not condoning it though.

I wouldn't really have a problem with someone smoking outside the vehicle. :confused:

We can't 'name and shame' as we have no proof that, for example, Little Bo Peep doesn't operate a rival Driving Shool but is posing as a learner. It has happened here several times.

(No offense Little Bo Peep - just using you as a possible example ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Personally I'd go for a different instructor if I wasn't happy with any aspect of their behavior. Lessons can be nerve racking enough without having the distraction of an instructor on the phone, espically when you're starting to learn.

On my very first lesson years ago, the instructor directed me off a main road and through a maze of a housing estate. He then asked me to reverse into a particular driveway and stop. He didn't say anything, just got out of the car and went into the house. I was sitting there wondering what the hell was going on, getting a bit freaked out by it all to be honest.

Turns out he had forgotten his licence, and was picking it up from his house. I was quite relieved that I wasn't his getaway driver :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

When I was learning to drive a million years ago, my instructor used to ask me to stop at a pub because he wanted to "use the toilet". He'd come out of the pub a few minutes later with the distinct smell of whiskey on his breath. I'm not complaining, i got my test first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭MDTyKe

mags16 wrote: »
    When I was learning to drive a million years ago, my instructor used to ask me to stop at a pub because he wanted to "use the toilet". He'd come out of the pub a few minutes later with the distinct smell of whiskey on his breath. I'm not complaining, i got my test first time.

LOL hilarious. The Irish...

Advertisement