Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

any mechanics around here?

Options
  • 08-03-2008 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭

ive bought a ford focus recently and while driving ive noticed my steering wheel shakes. Done a bit of searchin on the net suggests my wheels might need to be balanced and alligned.

can anyone tell me if this sounds like the solution?

also if there are any mechanics around south Dublin that can fix it for me please post here!

cheers;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭the magician

Bring your car to a tyre place they'll check the tracking and balancing, shouldn't cost a huge amount if thats whats wrong(more than likely is).

I've used these: www.fastfit.ie a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

cheers, just rang them there, 40 quid. Hopefully it will fix the problem!

Cheers magician!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

doubt if you'd get tracking AND balancing for €40.

If your tyres are on the way out, there's no point in getting the car tracked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

You shouldn't need tracking - the balancing will be enough.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Is €40 for the front or all four?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

im just back from fastfit, i was quoted 40 on the phone but was charged 10, just for the front 2. Although there is still a shake in the steering wheel there is a big difference, alot less noticable.....any suggestions as to how to get rid of it fully? i just got balancing done, as suggested by the fastfit guy.

should i get tracking done also? its really annoying because this is my first car with power steering and it really takes the pleasure away:(

oh and the tyres are brand new

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

I always get all 4 wheels balanced

They all rotate and are attached to the car. What is the magic about the front ones?

A rotating mass that is out of balance that is attached to a car will make it shake when driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the wheels should have been balanced when the new tyres were fitted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Stupid question maybe, but are they good tyres?

I assume your wheels are okay, or the tyre boys would have flagged it.

I made the mistake of putting cheap ass tyres on a (cheap ass) car once, and the things could not be balanced adequately.

Once I drove the first time with them on a wet road, they were binned and proper ones acquired.

Advertisement