Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiber Optic connection, Crossover cable needed?

Options
  • 08-03-2008 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭

Hi, I can't get a link over fiber and was hoping someone could point out where I'm going wrong.

The electrician mentioned that we needed a LC-SC duplex patch cable and a SX transceiver on each end.

Now the hardware all appears to be working but I can't get a link between the two switches. The laser is being received at each end.
    One thing I have noticed is that even though there are two fiber optic cables making up each lead, both devices are lighting up the same line. A layman's view would suggest that each side should be using one cable to send and the other to receive.
    The cables and transceivers are keyed so I don't think I can have them upside down.

So is a crossover fiberoptic patch cable needed? Or has anyone any ideas as to what I'm missing (other than sense letting myself get dragged into area in which I'm clueless). Have i got the wrong hardware or leads (below)?

A wall mounted cabinet wired with fiber optic cabling ( 8 Core 62.5/125, that's multimode, right?) to the main network cabinet was installed.

2 x Belkin MULTIMODE LC/SC DUPLEX PATCH CABLE
    1 x 3Com 3Com Baseline 2948-SFP, and a 3Com Baseline 2924-SFP. and 3COM 1000BASE-SX SFP tranceivers, for each end.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Never mind. Pulled out the patch panel and swapped the two cables at the back of the port and all worked.

Advertisement