Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL are crap

Options
  • 08-03-2008 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭

Any body watching the rugby game on NTL digital in town?

Its been basically un watchable for us for the last 10 mins?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Dunno about NTL but it's on the net - rte.ie/live

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

not streaming fast enough, on my 1mb NTL bb.

I guess when you pay peanuts you really do get sh1t tv service

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Never had a problem with NTL.
    But then again new cable FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

not streaming fast enough, on my 1mb NTL bb.

I guess when you pay peanuts you really do get sh1t tv service
    Watching online and it's fine but i'm on faster than 1 meg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

/me hates teh ntl

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Any body watching the rugby game on NTL digital in town?

Its been basically un watchable for us for the last 10 mins?

Watched the whole match on NTL today. Perfect quality, not a glitch to be found. But apparently kevs wasnt working too great either. You missed the last 10mins. Didnt miss much, only Jackman taking out some welsh guy who wasnt interfering with play and consequently gave Wales the penatly that gave us no hope of winning.
    Nothing exciting so.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

NTL Are pure sh1te, is anyone else'e E4 coming up with the audio description turned on?
    I got cable co cant change it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 DouglasWinthrow

as someone who had NTL and then switched to Sky+ Digital , there really is no comparison in quality , but then again , NTL is considerably cheaper

so without being smart

you get what you pay for

you want to pay for something significantly cheaper than its rival , then be prepared to experience conseqeunces which result in it being cheaper

i mean this in no disrespectful way , but it really is a situation of you wanting a service but not being willing to pay for it, sky is a fantastic and comprehensive service, use them if you want quality television

if you dont want to pay

use ntl

and stop complaining

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

as someone who had NTL and then switched to Sky+ Digital , there really is no comparison in quality , but then again , NTL is considerably cheaper

so without being smart

you get what you pay for

you want to pay for something significantly cheaper than its rival , then be prepared to experience conseqeunces which result in it being cheaper

i mean this in no disrespectful way , but it really is a situation of you wanting a service but not being willing to pay for it, sky is a fantastic and comprehensive service, use them if you want quality television

if you dont want to pay

use ntl

and stop complaining

Are you serious? Agreed that NTL is much cheaper and so you wouldnt expect to be the same as sky digital (It has less channels, its menu system is awful) But what i do expect is to be able to watch tv!

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I think ive to agree with witnessmenow here, if NTLs service is to provide cable television, I think its a joke if they dont provide it. Fair enough, stall or break up every now and then, but black outs of transmission gives just reason to complain! You buy a cheaper car and it doesnt start, ya dont start saying, "ah sure i bought a cheap car", no, you get them to fix it because it should start! Would you be ok with the dealer saying, "sorry, but you bought a cheap car, go away now and stop complaining"!

As for Sky, we have sky at my parents house and that crashes the whole time. Just freezes and ive to reset it then. Their a total rip off anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

NTL isn't that much cheaper than Sky. Especially since the recent price hike.

Their broadband is relatively good (and probably the highest rates and limits in Galway at least).

The customer service kills them though, they're utterly hopeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Fly High

We rented a house back in September in Galway and never get ntl bills, it's brilliant, the landlord says they don't know we're connected... Hence I love ntl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 DouglasWinthrow

You buy a cheaper car and it doesnt start, ya dont start saying, "ah sure i bought a cheap car", no, you get them to fix it because it should start! Would you be ok with the dealer saying, "sorry, but you bought a cheap car, go away now and stop complaining"!

well in a word , yes , generally if you buy a car for 300 there will be problems vs. the one that costs 3000

look , im not saying i cant see the point of this tread ,

i really , really do

NTL frustrated me beyond words , so i switched to sky , it really wasnt worth the agro

and sky provides a service which is miles better, im serious , sky+ actually does change the way you watch television

(i must emphasise im not a sky sales rep)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭steyr fan

I live in Dublin, and I agree that Ntl is crap. Seriously thinking about going Sky. Know lots of people who have, and not a problem with service.

I know, I know, you get what you pay for, but as has already been said, I would like to watch uninterrupted tv on the odd occasion.

I have been an Ntl (& before them Cablelink) customer for years, have always paid on time (Direct debit). When recently I asked them why the service kept failing, I was told "factors outside of our control", and when I told them that I didn't believe that, was told I could go elsewhere for my tv!!! So much for being a respected & valued customer (which is what the message stated while they kept me on hold for how long I'm not sure)

Anyone from Ntl customer service - please take note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

TV's sh*t anyway. play video games, they're better for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

sky is a fantastic and comprehensive service, use them if you want quality television
    Sorry now, but sky is shite beyond belief. I just got it there and my god, half the channels are showing reruns of the other channels, you get 5 minutes of advertising for every ten minutes of show, they put on the adverts at the same time so you can't flick around, and its all the same advertisements, so I'm betting 90% of the channels are owned by the same shower of gougers. Also even with their packages you are still locked out of some channels that you are apparently paying for.

I'm cancelling my subscription as soon as humanly possible, being fed to my back teeth with advertisements. I don't see how anyone could deal with it unless they were terminally addicted to "two and a half men".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Ntl are indeed ****e.
    I didnt think their tv service was the worst, then again I dont watch tv much. I did notice quite a number of times that the service was 'Down', on average once a month.

I think Sky is very good service. I agree with above though, too many repeat channels and many utterly useless channels with 90% adverts. I do wonder what the viewing figures are for some the channels, especially the likes of the middle eastern and religous ones.
    I remember coming home drunk @ 3am once and falling asleep to the 'GOD Channel' :rolleyes:

Anyway, You get what you pay for

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

so without being smart

you get what you pay for

if you dont want to pay

use ntl

and stop complaining

Unfortunately there are many who cannot use Sky because they live in apartments and the developer only cabled for bloody NTL :mad:

I would love to move to Sky but can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

My best one with NTL recently was making an appointment for the engineer to come out. Made the appointment for a Monday morning, and made sure that there'd be someone there. No sign of the engineer. Wasn't too bothered as the service righted itself.

The following Thursday the TV crashed again, so back onto customer service. Explained that the engineer hadn't shown up, and booked an appointment for the following Tuesday. Again, made sure that there'd be someone at the house, and again, no engineer. The following Thursday one of the lads was at home and heard something being pushed through the letterbox. Went downstairs to find a card saying "Called for you NTL appintment, noone home", or some such. He looked out the window to see a guy scurrying back to his van. Hadn't even knocked or rang the doorbell!!!

I was too pissed off to bother with their customer service after that.

My parents had Sky, and I couldn't stand it. It was the menu system that really annoyed me. Are there any other alternatives to these two available?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Fey! wrote: »
    The following Thursday one of the lads was at home and heard something being pushed through the letterbox. Went downstairs to find a card saying "Called for you NTL appintment, noone home", or some such. He looked out the window to see a guy scurrying back to his van. Hadn't even knocked or rang the doorbell!!!

I was too pissed off to bother with their customer service after that.

That truly is brilliant :D
    One of those moments you wish you caught on camera.

I can picture that engineer's sole job is just firing those leaflets into all of his call-outs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement