Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WipeoutHD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Oh, the memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

The trailer was also added to the PS store the other day... When the hell is this gonna come out???!

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Looks jawsome :)

A little washed out though? :o Maybe they just didnt capture the video properly again just like GameTrailers' PS3 vs 360 video

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

thats it... i'm getting a playstation.

... and a sixaxis, this would be one of the few games where that controller would own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

tman wrote: »
    The trailer was also added to the PS store the other day... When the hell is this gonna come out???!

I think I read May or June somewhere. Should be the next few months at any rate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Looks like my killer app has finally arrived. Damn it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

This would be even better with the DualShock3.

Yes, I suck at WipeOut & keep running into the barriers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Wow. Looks great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mmmmm...
    AG goodness

I'd love to see them bring back some of the features of past games, particularly the team member biogs and the different liveries for teammates machines, as in the original.

I suppose Negcon support would be too much to ask?
    I ruled on WipEout with that thing, analog steering, direction pad for the nose attitude, super sweet!

The game itself seems a but of a tech demo, only 8 tracks yes?
    Is this the precursor to a full Wipeout HD release?

I Suppose it's time to get a US playstation account, and get some credit on there, assuming it's getting released there first.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd say there will be new tracks released for download sporadically, wipeout pure was pretty stingey as well until you factor in all the excellent downloadable content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Noooooooooo! I really didn't want to get a PS3. Damn it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I never really dug the sequels nearly as much as the first game. The weapons were relatively rubbish so the emphasis was on what it should be, the racing. The handling model was bloody brilliant too. Mastering the harder courses with the expert Russian craft was a joy. Mmm.. airbrakes.

In the later games the handling was much more forgiving and brushing a wall here and there didn't make much difference which took alot of the thrill out of it. You'd be going around full pelt most of the time, whereas in Wipeout 1 you'd only be doing that when you'd really nailed the racing lines.

I thought 2097 stayed true to the handling of the original...wip3out was a bit easier (but probably my favourite title of the series)...least said about fusion the better.
    Pure's handling was a lot like wip3out I thought...not played Pulse...

Bah, now I have to start hunting a 60gb PS3...

2097 was alot more forgiving than the first game. In the first one if you clip a wall you pretty much stop dead. The second also marked the point where the weapons started to get alot more effective.

Nice. Just found a longplay video. Gotta love that music.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxGn94PVI2Y

I really must download that and play it again on an emulator at a decent framerate and high resolution.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The wipeout series is about the only franchise with few rubbish updates, only Wipeout on the PS2 actually sucked, the rest are excellent, and cater for all tastes, from the hardcore to the casual AG racer.
    May fave is Wipeout 2097 as well, but my copy of Wipeout3 Special Edition gets an airing even now, bootifull!

The music has always been an important component of the series, from Orbital to FSOL, Photek to Leftfield, along with the Designers Republic, they established the series and made it the only futuristic racer to suceed, despite all the other valiant attempts, Powerdrome, Fatal Inertia, Quantum thingy, you know?

Yep music is what got me to buy the first one to begin with...but it was the gameplay that kept me coming back.

I have to say the biggest sell point of this new one is the online gaming aspect, ever since I read about system link on the PSX, I drooled after the ability to play other non-AI competitors...spilt screen is just too confusing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Nice. Just found a longplay video. Gotta love that music.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxGn94PVI2Y

I really must download that and play it again on an emulator at a decent framerate and high resolution.

thats class, a truly next gen game at the time.

emulator wont do it any justice, old school crt and a ps1 tbh.

jebus that and a decent update of driver would be ****ing awesome.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I think it looks like pants :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The wipeout series is about the only franchise with few rubbish updates, only Wipeout on the PS2 actually sucked, the rest are excellent, and cater for all tastes, from the hardcore to the casual AG racer.
    May fave is Wipeout 2097 as well, but my copy of Wipeout3 Special Edition gets an airing even now, bootifull!

The music has always been an important component of the series, from Orbital to FSOL, Photek to Leftfield, along with the Designers Republic, they established the series and made it the only futuristic racer to suceed, despite all the other valiant attempts, Powerdrome, Fatal Inertia, Quantum thingy, you know?

The art direction and music of the first one was so many years ahead of the curve when the game was released alright. It was a ****ing **** though. I agree that 2087 was the better of the two purely because it was more accessible.

This and GT5 could be responsible for me getting a PS3 again :)

All they need to do now is update the first Ridge Racer and Destruction Derby :)

For an update, of sorts, of the first Ridge Racer there are two possibilities,
    the first being a copy of RRtype4, that came with a tech demo consisting of a time trial of the original track in RidgeRacer and in High Res, which is what we made do with before HD came along.
    The other option is much better, just buy a PSP and a copy of Ridge Racer 2, that has all the best tracks from the series so far and looks incredible, don't think we're going to see such a package on the PS3 at all.
    Plus, if you have a slim 'n lite PSP then you can output to a tv and get that old school drifting action on again on the big screen, hmmm, nice....

My biggest claim to fame was finishing Wipeout while very drunk a Sony party held in Gamesworld on liffey street way back in the day, around '95/96, ah yes.
    Unfortunately everyone else was either talking to real people about more interesting things, or too drunk to notice the great feat before them, or perhaps even both!

• Advertisement

I definately preferred the art direction in the first wipeout. 2097 was too dark. The first one would look class if they updated it and kept the sort of half gritty realism of it. The new ones are a bit more like something out of Tron.

Destruction Derby was muck. Number 2 was the business though. So many cars on the one track. Everybody would get piled up on the 2nd track at the narrow section and you'd see the AI cars reversing waaaay back and crashing into it at high speed to try and bounce over the blockage. Mad AI in that game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRqA82lMb3Y

Flatout 2 does a nice job of updating the whole destruction derby style game. Whoever is going the fastest when the impact happens doesn't receive any damage, so there's some sort of strategy to it unlike DD where you'd just try and avoid everybody until there was only one or two cars left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

looks like this one has gone back to reality which is good, but it neer impress as much as it did back in the nineties, now Im waiting for the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

i can remember playing a 2097 demo endlessly when i first got my psx years ago. Remember constantly going though the pit to re-fuel, even when i didnt need to, because the lightning style effect of going through was so good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Is WipeoutHD not actually a ps3 version of Wipeout games from the psp (Pure and Pulse)?

It has nothing to do with the original games at all!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wipeout_HD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Some gameplay footage on EG

Looks ****ing superb... like a HD version of Pulse/Pure, which is no bad thing!

/drool

Not loving the weapons pick up voice though...
    Whoever's flying in that video sucks too lol

Advertisement