Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

outdoor pursutis career

• 08-03-2008 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

hi, does anyone have any info on taking up outdoor pursuits as a career?
    stuck in a rut at mo n have always been interested in this kind of thing...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I've 2 friends who work in adventure centres. Both did this course in GMIT. I'm not sure if its just Ireland, but the money doesnt seem to be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭cadburys

ah yes nitewish, that may be so but i'd rather be scraping by and happy with my job than have a bit of extra cash and miserable at work everyday.. being outdoors makes me a little more optimistic:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mark k

dun laoghaire has a 3 year course(outdoor adventure management)!from what i heard its ment to be great,
    http://www.colaistedhulaigh.ie/full_leis_out_ad_man.htm

theres a link :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

join the army "you only get one life do something extraordinary with yours", very rewarding from what ive heard www.military.ie

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭IPNA

I have to agree with C-90. The time I spent in the army really kick started my outdoor skills. That being said, there is a HUGE difference between camping in the military and camping as a civilian. As a civilian, imagine being outdoors in a wonderful campsite with a stream out front and nothing to do but enjoy nature.
    Yeah, that never happens in the army. You always have to worry about keeping tactical, always having your weapons spotless and within arms reach, eating less than appetizing food, and carrying really heavy packs for a long time.
    To be fair, there are some great benefits. I have not seen as many beautiful sunrises since leaving the military. There is a magical time after a long cold night when you can sense that the darkness is getting just a little lighter and the east is starting to become just a little pink.

I don't know if that is what you had in mind for an outdoor career. One needs to get skills and training before heading off in a new direction.

• Advertisement
Advertisement