Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software Recommendations and More.

Options
  • 08-03-2008 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭

Sorry to hijack this topic, this is the same sort of question so it would be a waste to start another topic, but I am going to start recording some music using my guitar / bass and probably use a virtual drum machine.

I will be playing dreamy sort of music, Smashing Pumpkins / Radiohead / My Bloody Valentine stuff. What sort of software would you recommend? I have used Cubase before but have since formatted the drive and I lost the disc and all my samples. I'll start fresh and thought it would be best to ask before I go getting stuff.

Also, what hardware would you recommend? I've got a decentish pc here, Pentium D 3.4hz Dual Core, 2GB RAM etc. But, for recording the Guitar / Bass onto computer, what would you recommend? I'll probably need an external soundcard. Last question, I have a few guitar pedals but they aren't that great or as plentiful as I would like. Is there software available to act as Virtual Pedals to manipulate the sound of the guitar?

EDIT - Budget for Hardware is around €150. :p I want cheap and cheerful! Also, this budget is for hardware only, I just want recommendations on software etc, don't worry about price when it comes to software.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Timans wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack this topic, this is the same sort of question so it would be a waste to start another topic, but I am going to start recording some music using my guitar / bass and probably use a virtual drum machine.

I will be playing dreamy sort of music, Smashing Pumpkins / Radiohead / My Bloody Valentine stuff. What sort of software would you recommend? I have used Cubase before but have since formatted the drive and I lost the disc and all my samples. I'll start fresh and thought it would be best to ask before I go getting stuff.

Also, what hardware would you recommend? I've got a decentish pc here, Pentium D 3.4hz Dual Core, 2GB RAM etc. But, for recording the Guitar / Bass onto computer, what would you recommend? I'll probably need an external soundcard. Last question, I have a few guitar pedals but they aren't that great or as plentiful as I would like. Is there software available to act as Virtual Pedals to manipulate the sound of the guitar?

EDIT - Budget for Hardware is around €150. :p I want cheap and cheerful! Also, this budget is for hardware only, I just want recommendations on software etc, don't worry about price when it comes to software.

Thanks.

Firstly, budget for some software. Stealing software is naughty and you'll get no advice on using it here.

Cubase is a great package alright but if you're on a budget look into using energyXT or Reaper. Native Instruments Guitar Rig is a top class guitar processing package (the "virtual pedals" you refer to), worth splashing out on. You'll find a lot of good free plugins on www.kvraudio.com although nothing as good as Guitar Rig.

Something from the Line6 Toneport range is probably a good choice for a soundcard/interface, they're cheap and geared towards guitar players.

Read through the stickies at the top of the forum for lots more advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Who says I'm going to steal it?

I just want recommendations as though there was NO budget, so I know what would be the absolute best I could get for my needs. Cubase it is then, I've used it before so I just have to dig out my old disc and samples and I'm away.

Also, what about a virtual drum machine, any ideas? I've used Addictive Drums before, as good as any or are there free, just as good alternatives?

Advertisement