Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Flood Alert

Options
  • 08-03-2008 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

from breakingnews.ie :

Dublin City Council has sea defences in place and announced temporary road closures because of a flood alert in vulnerable coastal areas around the capital.

The Council is putting the precautionary measures in place because of the risk of flooding late on Sunday until early Monday afternoon due to high tides while heavy rain is also forecast.

The areas most at risk are low lying locations in Sandymount, Ringsend and Clontarf.

Anybody know what these "precautionary measures" entail ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭ODS

Boardsbud wrote: »

Sandbags are being given out and several roads are being closed off, but as this is Dublin City Council there is of course no indication on their website as to what roads are being shut off :mad:

The broadwalk is also being shut off apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Boardsbud wrote: »
    from breakingnews.ie :

Dublin City Council has sea defences in place and announced temporary road closures because of a flood alert in vulnerable coastal areas around the capital.

The Council is putting the precautionary measures in place because of the risk of flooding late on Sunday until early Monday afternoon due to high tides while heavy rain is also forecast.

The areas most at risk are low lying locations in Sandymount, Ringsend and Clontarf.

On Fridays Drivetime on RTÉ they mentioned closing the broadwalk on the liffey, sandbagings roads in sandymount and clontarf...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Amazingly they are all in a flutter now,several years after the last big flood and they have done nothing to protect the area's involved in that time. I pity the people in the ringsend/Irishtown area's,who will more that likely pay the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

dubtom wrote: »
    Amazingly they are all in a flutter now,several years after the last big flood and they have done nothing to protect the area's involved in that time. I pity the people in the ringsend/Irishtown area's,who will more that likely pay the price.

Yeah like never mind them East Wallers or Drumcondrians even if it is Bertie's constituency :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

a good deal of protection has been installed and rivers dredged to avoid a repeat of the 2002 flooding

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭ozchick

Saw the sandbags and mental gates across the carparks at Sandymount on Saturday morning!! The tide is usually way out then and it was in (only the second time I have seen it in!) Also heard they had cancelled the ferries.

Did it end up being a bit of an anticlimax? Sunday nights bad weather didn't seem to eventuate. It got windy, but wasn't for long. 4 days ago it was going to snow (heavy) today.

I find the weather interesting here, cos they bag how much it changes where I come from (Melbourne, Australia) but its similar here, but on speed! We get 4 seasons in a day, here its like 8!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

RuggieBear wrote: »
    a good deal of protection has been installed and rivers dredged to avoid a repeat of the 2002 flooding

What rivers were dredged?I didnt see any dredging going on..

Tolka and dodder at their tidal zones

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

The Tolka certainly wasn't dredged. I know the river well, have canoed it several times. The Dodder doesn't look as if it was dredged either.

I agree with dubtom, I got flooded in East Wall, Ringsend was really badly affected too. However, Clontarf and Sandymount seem to get more concern!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

RuggieBear wrote: »
    Tolka and dodder at their tidal zones

Fair enough, if you know this has been done. I just can't see any evidence...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

well, any damage or anything?
    Wasn't even woken up by the weather. Looks like a lovely clear day out there now.

lightening wrote: »
    Fair enough, if you know this has been done. I just can't see any evidence...

There was also some work further up on the Tolka to reduce its flashyness (water stores) and some walls put in to stop flooding on the tolka (between the N1 and N2 i believe) and on the Dodder between LondonBridge Road and Ringsend Road.

There should be info on this on the OPW website.

EDIT: Just talked to someone in the know. I've been talking arse. While parts were deepened on the rivers, they were not dredged. The other flood alleviation took place though eg walls and water stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭ozchick

Just walked along the Dodder and it is sandbagged. Almost at the bridge limit at London Bridge Road and its hours since it rained, so I suspect it may have flooded along the low path there. Signs of it around Lansdowne Road too.
    Used to live overlooking the Dodder, shame I can't keep an eye on it now!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

definately, the tolka around finglas, had a lot work done last summer.

Anyone near the river road this morning?

i am sure that was an actual river

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

My interest in dredging stems from my interest in collecting these
    http://www.exeter.gov.uk/timetrail/object_images/2_12_10.jpg
    they can often be found in dredged rivers

Advertisement