Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City Centre Sweet Shop

Options
  • 08-03-2008 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭

Just wondering if theres some sort of big sweet shop in the city centre somewhere, the sort of place that'd be like one of those pick n mix's in shops but all over the walls. I have this mental image of one I've been in before but I don't even remember if it was somewhere in this country.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Phryxus wrote: »
    Just wondering if theres some sort of big sweet shop in the city centre somewhere, the sort of place that'd be like one of those pick n mix's in shops but all over the walls. I have this mental image of one I've been in before but I don't even remember if it was somewhere in this country.

The only place that rings a bell for me is cineworld in parnell st they have like a wall of pick and mix

(Thats assuming you mean Dublin of course)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Why do Dub's always assume everyone else is from Dublin??

There is a whole other world outside Dublin y'know

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Like the Sweet Factory? In the mall near me in the States this summer, the Sweet Factory was a shop instead of just a cart. Is that what you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

There's a sweet shop on Aungier Street, I think it's called Kavanagh's?

It sells quarters and stuff, has the jars of sweets in the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Phryxus

jimbo78 wrote: »

Yes I do know, I didn't know there was anyone living anywhere else though, dont the roads turn to dirt tracks and lead into desolate uninhabitable deserts once you're over the M50? Oh wait, thats right, after visiting multiple continents and living abroad for 90% of the last two years I realised there are other places, who would have guessed it?

There was this place in San Francisco, a part of town called north beach with a crazy sweet shop in it, the place was filled with wicker baskets of different shapes and sizes filled with anything and everything you could imagine. I was only in it once but I hadn't seen 10p bags in ages and just picked up some of those pink and white milky bottles. I could have spent a whole lot more time looking around but I would have left with an empty wallet and stomach cramps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

In Ireland? I thought it was just fields :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Ehh it is not just dubs. I imagine most people outside dublin would have presumed the OP was in dublin too.
    Just wondering if theres some sort of big sweet shop in the city centre
    If the OP had meant Cork city centre most people would have expected him to say it. So I bet the majority of members from or living in Cork would have presumed he meant dublin. "town" is a widely recognised slang term for dublin city centre, I used to hear guys in college from outside dublin use it even more than guys in dublin, if they were back home they would refer to their own town as "the town", e.g. "I am going into town on friday night, but on saturday I am going home and going into the town later."
    . Simple logic really, unless you like wasting time being pedantic. Most boards memebers are in dublin, and most are male too, so people will be prejudiced and presume you are a male in dublin, they are prejudging, and so prejudiced, hardly hitler though, just using cop on. It saves time waiting for an answer.

The €2 shops all usually have HUGE selections of sweets & bars, really cheap and some odd bars you might not usually find.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

DesF wrote: »
    There's a sweet shop on Aungier Street, I think it's called Kavanagh's?

It sells quarters and stuff, has the jars of sweets in the window.

Oh yesss, Apple drops, satin cushions, has them all it does.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭cookiequeen

Galway City had 2 of those shops years ago. the were both on shop street as far as I recall. One was where accessorise is now. It was called SWEETS I believe and had mad bright pink and blue logos. I remember they had huge vats of different colored sherbet. They even had little boxes with a handle you could put all your sweeties in if you were giving them as a prezzie!

I can't for the life of me remember where the other one was or what it was called. I guess rents got too expensive for those guys tho. Boo!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Sweets at 12;) Miss it terribly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Well, to be fair, a quarter of the population resides in or around Dublin; and this area also has the highest proportion of Internet users (I think... ...:confused:)

Phryxus, there's a Pick 'N Mix place on the ground floor in the Jervis Street shopping center. It's the biggest of it's kind that I can recall seeing.

Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

The new one in the ilac center looks like the best one ive seen its a cart with windows filled with gummy bears on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Would Kavanaghs have Wham bars, Apple Jacks and the ilk also ...?

Anywhere with old school 'penny sweets' and chewy bars would be welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

there's a brilliant little sweet shop in Heuston station aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 dazzyash

I heard a rumour theres a sweet shop opening next to eamon dorans on crown alley in temple bar, supposed to have hundereds of different types of sweets, all traditional stuff sold from a jar, sounds good, anyone else know of any others?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You're most likely thinking of Kavanagh's on Aungier Street. Was owned by an elderly couple but I think it changed hands a few years ago, they still sell some sweets in jars now but it's a newsagents now. Still called Kavanagh's possible one of their children took it over or something. We used to go in all the time my mum knew them well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 dazzyash

Kavanaghs has closed now, moved into cost cutters accross the road but no jars of sweets anymore. Definately one opening on crown alley temple bar, they have a sign upstairs now saying coming soon, think the sign said Mr Treats sweets or something, will have to keep an eye out??? Bring on the sugary goodness :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Olderman 111

Was in Dublin early in the week visiting my tattooist again :eek:in Crown Alley his tattoo parler is right opposite where Mr Treats sweets is, he cant wait for it to open,probably this weekend he has heard, said its about time they had a shop like that in Dublin, Good ole Mr Treat keep up tradition.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Yeah Mr Treat was open today, cool place, lots of nice old skool sweets there :D €1.30 per 100g until the 24'th of jan, their located next door to Eamonn dorans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

the cineworld on parnell st is the first to come to mind for me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

dazzyash wrote: »
    Kavanaghs has closed now, moved into cost cutters accross the road but no jars of sweets anymore.

That's sad, I loved that shop. If anyone wants an online fix, check out www.aquarterof.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Is Mr Treats still open? I haven't seen it and I walk by there every day but then again I am not overly observant half the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

shanagarry wrote: »
    That's sad, I loved that shop. If anyone wants an online fix, check out www.aquarterof.co.uk

I saw Kavanaghs open two weeks ago. Large jars of sweets and all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Lux23 wrote: »
    Is Mr Treats still open? I haven't seen it and I walk by there every day but then again I am not overly observant half the time.

Yup! There isn't really a sign or anything, it's upstairs, one door up from Doran's. You can see it here on their Facebook link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Kavanaghs has been back open a few months now. They sell bits and bobs now too, but there are still lots of jars of sweets.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭pablodunlop

Any idea what time Mr Treats Sweets stays open till?

Advertisement