Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 sites hosted on one web space account?

Options
  • 08-03-2008 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭

hi guys, ive been told this is possible, but i need to know what domain registry company to use to do it right

as it stands i have a hosting account with easycgi for adomain.com, but im not using anywhere near my limit in either bandwidth or storage and i want to set up another site

so... i want to set up 2nddomain.com, and have that pointing at a folder on my existing webspace (lets call it adomain.com/2nddomain), but i want the url to be 2nddomain.com

i know theres no bother doing this regardless of who you get the domain from, but what i need to know is that once i click a link the url wont change to adomain.com/2nddomain/page.htm, and id also like to avoid using solutions which use frames

is there anyone any of you can recommend to me for this?

cheers
    pete

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Proper way:

In your hosting account you should be able to create multiple virtual servers for domains. Usually you can specify the domain and the A DNS records will be created automatically.
    Then you simply poing to domain name servers to that of the hosting company.
    i.e. The same NS servers that your current domain has.

Another way - sometimes Domain resellers will offer to do free URL forwarding, so when you go to the domain you point it to your other domain.com/newdomainfolder

Not the most wise way to do it - better off doing it properly.
    Get in contact with your host - every host is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

If you actually log into your account with them you'll probably find you can simply add more domains then you'll need to change the name servers of your new domain to point at theirs.

And there you go you'll be up and running there'll be nothing weird hopefully like you're mentioning as each site will have its own space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Proper way:

In your hosting account you should be able to create multiple virtual servers for domains. Usually you can specify the domain and the A DNS records will be created automatically.
    Then you simply poing to domain name servers to that of the hosting company.
    i.e. The same NS servers that your current domain has.

Another way - sometimes Domain resellers will offer to do free URL forwarding, so when you go to the domain you point it to your other domain.com/newdomainfolder

Not the most wise way to do it - better off doing it properly.
    Get in contact with your host - every host is different.

i mailed my hosting company and they said unless i register both domain and new hosting plan, the best i could do is have 2nddomain.adomain.com

which is useless to me

for the url forwarding, when it points at domain.com/newdomainfolder and places it at newdomain.com, will every page and directory thereafter have the url of newdomain.com/folder/page.htm, or will it revert back to domain.com/newdomainfolder/folder/page.htm as soon as a link is clicked?

forbairt wrote: »
    If you actually log into your account with them you'll probably find you can simply add more domains then you'll need to change the name servers of your new domain to point at theirs.

And there you go you'll be up and running there'll be nothing weird hopefully like you're mentioning as each site will have its own space.

mail i got from my hosting company:
    Please be advised that all domains and Sub domains require their own hosting package, unless they are aliasing a primary domain. To create a sub domain, log into your Easy CGI Control Panel, go to the user services section, and then go to 'add services'.
    Next, the signup process is just like signing up for a regular domain. Just enter your sub domain in the form of sub.domain.com and select "leave on current registrar" and click next, then you will need to select either web forwarding, to forward the sub domain to a specific URL, or select a hosting package for it

Please do not hesitate to contact us in case of any further questions.

so basically theyre not letting me do it unless i buy new hosting, which is pointless coz im not even using 5% of the current package

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

I recommend you drop them and go with one of the Irish webhosts.

That said which plan are you actually on ? do you really need 350gbs storage space ? have you even got that ?

Do you really have 3500gbs transfer per month ?

• Advertisement

can any of them compete with €5.16 per month for 500gb web space, 5000gb monthly transfer, and 1000 email addresses? coz if they can i might just swap alrite

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

That company isn't much good if you cannot host multiple domains/sites under a single account.

What good is 500gb/5000gb transfer if you can only host a single site - I'm guessing your site doesn't require this much space/bandwidth?

doesnt require it no, but i make use of it for non site related stuff and work related stuff so its quite handy, but yes i pretty much could do without

however to save the hassle of switching just at the moment, would this url forwarding work the way i wanted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

URL forwarding will work fine, but as suggested above, it's simpler to find a host that offers multiple domain support.

Offering crazy amounts of space and transfer isn't very 'usable' if you limit the customer by number of domains, databases, etc.

right, so what irish hosting would we all recommend?

may as well do it right i suppose

therell be a lot of audio content available for both download and streaming so id be needing a fair whack of bandwidth, but nothing too excessive

and php support would be handy for a forum, which i wouldnt expect to use up too much resources but some headroom would be nice as i had issues with easycgi giving out to me for whoring 95% of the shared php resources a couple of times

id probably need a minimum of 100 email addresses too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

right, so what irish hosting would we all recommend?
    Hosting recommendations are not allowed on this board. Please read the stickies at the head of the forum, including the charter, and contact the companies directly and through official channels if you have any queries regarding the services they offer.

jesus thats ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Helix wrote: »
    jesus thats ridiculous
    What? That you don't want to do your own legwork? Read the stickies, there is a good reason the discussion is banned.

no the threads you linked to were ridiculous

not the fact that we cant discuss it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

there's been a lot of trouble here recently about web hosts, and there is a good reason that they're banned. It's not a conspiracy, but rather a glitch that people didn't behave responsibly in the past.

Recommendations: Go shopping. Look around for the best host and the cheapest one. Speak to various people you know who already have websites hosted, in or out of ireland.
    Excessive resource use is defined as, but not limited to, use of more than 10% of a system resource for longer than 60 seconds. If a customer account is found to be using excessive resources on a shared system, or causes a system to operate in a non-optimal manner, the customer will be contacted to resolve the problem. If Easy CGI is unable to contact a customer regarding a resources related issue, we may, at our discretion, suspend or cancel the customer account.

File Storage. Easy CGI provides a service to host web sites and web pages. Easy CGI limits the total number of files contained in any single website to 100,000 files. All images and files in a website directory must be linked to from web pages on the customer´s web site. Web space is not to be used as an image, sound, or file library, repository, or any other backup or storage solution. Images, sound, and video files may not be linked to from outside sources or websites. Web space is not to be used for the distribution or download of podcasts.

In the interest of preventing system and network resource abuse in a shared environment, Easy CGI does not allow any single website to use more than 7500GB of bandwidth in any single calendar month, or more than 250GB on any single day. A day is defined as a 24 hour calendar day in the GMT time zone. In addition to these limitations, Easy CGI does not allow any single website to average a bandwidth transfer speed of more than 30mbps for a period longer than 60 minutes.
    This is what you should look out for in the Terms of Service, whilst EasyCGI (and fair play to them for it) are not that bad regarding these from what I see, other web hosting companies offer you unlimited Bandwith, but will later cancel your account because they are consuming too many server resources. Just a note for people to watch out for when your picking your hosting, and think your getting a good offer when your not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

This might seem a daft question, but if you're otherwise happy with your current host and you're only paying 5.16 a month, why don't you just sign up for the second hosting package?

MOH wrote: »
    This might seem a daft question, but if you're otherwise happy with your current host and you're only paying 5.16 a month, why don't you just sign up for the second hosting package?

seems a waste if i could have the ability to host both, and more on another host for roughly double that price

Advertisement