Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny Ale in Cork

Options
  • 08-03-2008 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Anyone know of any pubs in the city where one can get this on draught?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Franciscan Well maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I've had it a few times in the city but it's practically always muck. Tastes nothing like it ought to. Can't remember anywhere I've had it off the top of my head though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭pariko

Pox. Cheers anyway lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

You could try some of the 'touristy' places, try Souths or something. Maybe the Old Oak also. But as rymus said, Kilkenny beer is manky in Cork, it is much nicer than what you will get in Cork (or any County for that matter), try America!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭wordofmouth

Eh i was under the impression that kilkenny and smithicks were one and the same?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smithwicks

Called one or the other depending where you are?
    If I'm right then anywhere..

Ah wait my mistake, taken from the very wiki article i linked to:
    Kilkenny Cream Ale is a similar beer to Smithwick's Draught, however it has a cream head similar to Guinness and has a stronger taste (more bitter than Smithwicks). The 'Kilkenny' name was originally used during the '80's and '90's to market a stronger version of Smithwick's for the European and Canadian market due to difficulty in pronunciation of the word Smithwicks; but it now refers to a similar yet distinctly different beer.

Well in the pub i work in some people just ask me to put a guinness head on the smithicks if that helps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

spailpin fanacht and oval both did, not sure if they still do.

Advertisement