Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding venue

Options
  • 08-03-2008 8:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

getting married next year guys.

Cathedrals booked but need a reception (min 200 capacity)

I'm flexible and open to ideas. Lets me have your experiences of various venues

I wanted Castle Dargan but its booked out for the day we need.

p.s. weddings eh!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Congratulations Sligobhoy!

Markree Castle? http://www.markreecastle.ie/

P.S. I don't have any special dietary needs... but I prefer Beef to Lamb...
    Are you sure 200 guests? Theres alot of us here you know??

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

sueme wrote:
    I don't have any special dietary needs... but I prefer Beef to Lamb...
    Are you sure 200 guests? Theres alot of us here you know??
    Well said girl.

If sligobhoy67 would just confirm the date I'll pencil it into my diary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Always enjoyed weddings in the Sligo Park. The Clarion is supposed to be good. Was at one in the Raddison and it was good too, but I didn't like the function room. It was very enclosed and had weird lighting. Markree is a lovely setting. It'd really impress your guests.
    I don't know if Kilronan Castle is taking weddings yet. They will be by next year I'd say. It's about 25 minutes from town and it's supposed to be lovely. It's in a nice place anyway.
    p.s. Congratulations.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

il gatto wrote: »
    Always enjoyed weddings in the Sligo Park. The Clarion is supposed to be good. Was at one in the Raddison and it was good too, but I didn't like the function room. It was very enclosed and had weird lighting. Markree is a lovely setting. It'd really impress your guests.
    I don't know if Kilronan Castle is taking weddings yet. They will be by next year I'd say. It's about 25 minutes from town and it's supposed to be lovely. It's in a nice place anyway.
    p.s. Congratulations.:)

cheers guys

I like the sound of Kilronan Castle anyone know more about it the website is lovely but vague - as its still being developed. Not sure I could drag the townies out that far though. I'll be puttin on a coach so that should appease those who get nosebleeds once they go past the Carraroe roundabout.

We are home in April and plan to go round the venues and scope them out and will choose one then but want to have the homework done before that.

Here are the options - if you have been to a wedding in any of these venues can you give me the lowdown on what you thought - good and bad points, advice, tips etc etc

Castle Dargan - gone forget about it

Radisson SAS, Rosses Point

Sligo Park

Markree Castle

Temple House, Ballymote

Diamond Coast Hotel, Enniscrone

Southern Hotel

Clarion

Any others? please let me know - I would have fancied the Glasshouse put dont think they could handle one this size

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I got married in the Radisson in Oct 04 so I can only speak for that Hotel.
    A brilliant time had by all. 350+ at the meal (i think).
    All went off without a hitch!

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

getting married next year guys.

Cathedrals booked but need a reception (min 200 capacity)

I'm flexible and open to ideas. Lets me have your experiences of various venues

I wanted Castle Dargan but its booked out for the day we need.

p.s. weddings eh!!!

Why not change the day of the wedding to a Friday maybe, if you want Castle Dargan?

Surely at this stage the church would be easily changed.....everything else is secondary to the reception and the church bookings.
    I've never yet met anyone put off by a Friday wedding, in fact it lends to a great weekend.

Culchie wrote: »
    Why not change the day of the wedding to a Friday maybe, if you want Castle Dargan?

Surely at this stage the church would be easily changed.....everything else is secondary to the reception and the church bookings.
    I've never yet met anyone put off by a Friday wedding, in fact it lends to a great weekend.

we might actually do that - but I've lived in England for over ten years now and there will be a lot of people coming over

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Many congrats and daft question but wouldn't it be cheaper to get married in England?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

English weddings are crap. I've nothing against the English, but having been to 3 weddings there, I can safely say that Irish weddings knock the arse out of them. So do our funerals, funnily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

They just seem so expensive over here. People go into a huge amount of debt to get married.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

it's gotta be Markree...

If you guarantee to rent 15 rooms for the night you can have exclusive use of the castle for 24 hours for a fee..

bar closes at about 2 for 15 mins then residents bar opens (same bar and staff and lots of non guests stayed around). a friend has a photo of me opening a bottle of champagne at 6.14 am, our DJ played till 6:30AM..

any other hotel venue I've been at closes down and kicks people out on time..

its a castle!!! nice gardens for photos, romantic..

not sure it can take 200 though...?

Try kilronan, castle looks nice but rest o place is a building site, gardens etc...

magnumlady wrote: »
    Many congrats and daft question but wouldn't it be cheaper to get married in England?

we are both "townies" and she wants it at home

GG66 wrote: »
    it's gotta be Markree...

If you guarantee to rent 15 rooms for the night you can have exclusive use of the castle for 24 hours for a fee..

bar closes at about 2 for 15 mins then residents bar opens (same bar and staff and lots of non guests stayed around). a friend has a photo of me opening a bottle of champagne at 6.14 am, our DJ played till 6:30AM..

any other hotel venue I've been at closes down and kicks people out on time..

its a castle!!! nice gardens for photos, romantic..

not sure it can take 200 though...?

Try kilronan, castle looks nice but rest o place is a building site, gardens etc...

They wont do more than 200 - plus my better half knows someone that works there and she said it was "falling apart" - I like the idea of Markree and will check it out but reports havent been great tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

They wont do more than 200 - plus my better half knows someone that works there and she said it was "falling apart" - I like the idea of Markree and will check it out but reports havent been great tbh

It's OK for lunch or a meal, but it is in poor shape elsewhere, especially the rooms. There are magnificient appartments http://www.markree.com/index.php?page=ourapartments adjacent to riding stables, but not really relevant to your wedding plans. Great for small party, but not for large groups.

Advertisement