Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I entitled to an on the spot refund?

Options
  • 08-03-2008 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭

Good evening

My Tevion LCD Tv which I bought in Aldi at the end of May 2005 has developed a fault and no longer works. The LED flashes some sort of code at the front so something is up with it. The TV has a 3 year manufacturers warranty so it has not yet expired yet. I also have the box belonging to it and the all important receipt. If I bring the TV back to the Aldi where I bought it, am I entitled to a refund or to get the TV sent off for repair? It a manufacturers warranty so not sure if it's up to the store of purchase to follow through with any refunds/replacements/repair that may be needed. Could anyone advise as to what may happen? I don't want to be told by Aldi that I need to get onto the Manufacturer as this would probably end up being a lot more hassle.
    Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Its up to the store as to whether you get a refund, but seeing as the tv is almost 3 years old, an on the spot full refund is highly unlikely. I reckon they'll try repair it for you, but word of warning, from previous experience, you're more than likely to be told to deal directly with the manufacturer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

yes the store is only responsible for the first 12 months of the warranty period as the manufacturer not aldi gave the 3 year warranty, so you will have to contact the manufacturer and take it from there,

but as said by nightwish you will probably not get a full refund but they may send a replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭highdef

OK, lads. Thats great. Thanks for your help. I'll give the helpline a number tomorrow or Monday so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Let us know what happens, would be interesting to see how these long-term warranties work in practice...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭highdef

Hello again everyone. Well I contacted Medion last week and within two days, they picked up the TV. It came back this morning and it's working fine. POwer supply board was replaced. Service was really excellent considering the TV was almost 3 years old. I'm a happy Aldi customer :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

that's great service.

* on my way down to Aldi *

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Don't think this was the response any of us expected! Nice one!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

random wrote: »
    Don't think this was the response any of us expected!

I would have been surprised if it was otherwise. I've only heard good things about Lidl and Aldi's customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

foggy_lad wrote: »
    yes the store is only responsible for the first 12 months of the warranty period as the manufacturer not aldi gave the 3 year warranty, so you will have to contact the manufacturer and take it from there,
    Just for future reference, that is incorrect - there is no such thing as a 12 month limitation of warranty after which you cannot return goods to a retailer for repair or exchange. The goods would have still been covered under the sale of goods and supply of services act.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

parsi wrote: »
    I would have been surprised if it was otherwise. I've only heard good things about Lidl and Aldi's customer service.

Same here, I've heard nothing but good things, so I'm delighted to to know that they took good care of you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement