Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get your exam back that you sat?

Options
  • 08-03-2008 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭

I heard it was possible to see your paper that you done for a fee. I done my leaving cert in 2000. Anyone hear this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Brooke01

jtiernan wrote: »
    I heard it was possible to see your paper that you done for a fee. I done my leaving cert in 2000. Anyone hear this?

no....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

it is possible to check your paper on the year you sit your LC. This years students sitting exams in June will be able to check them to see how they got on and if it is worth appealing if they thought that they did better than the grade they were awarded, this happens around the first week of September. I've never heard of anyone being about to check papers from previous years. tbh, I can't imagine the Dept storing approx half a million scripts every year, i'd say they are binned after all the appeals are done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Exam papers are kept for seven years before being destroyed. Sorry bud, slightly late. You can check your paper alright, but that's the year you do it and it's free. Beyond that I really don't know. But in your case it's definately too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Jay P wrote: »
    Exam papers are kept for seven years before being destroyed. Sorry bud, slightly late. You can check your paper alright, but that's the year you do it and it's free. Beyond that I really don't know. But in your case it's definately too late.
    and can you get them during this period?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,227 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I've never heard anything about 7 years. The standard length of time the SEC requires schools to keep exam work is six months after the results are issued.

The space required to keep seven years of scripts in all subjects would be mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

spurious wrote: »
    I've never heard anything about 7 years. The standard length of time the SEC requires schools to keep exam work is six months after the results are issued.

there is a law regarding keeping records available for 7 years before destroying them, but not sure if this includes keeping the papers

I can't imagine them keeping the actual scripts for 7 years, not to mind all the tapes of orals! in terms of practicals, we get all our students to cart home all their projects after the appeals have gone through, it would be impossible to keep all the ag science, woodwork, engineering projects, lab copies in the school. all the marking sheets are kept though.

there probably is a record kept at the dept of each of the different components though, oral, aural results, practical projects

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

They probably keep records so they can produce statistics and all that

My business teacher in third year told me they're stored somewhere in Athlone or something. The schools don't correct them or anything so they wouldn't be storing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

jtiernan wrote: »

Yeah I heard you can do this for a fee both for the JC and the LC but i would say that your too late

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,227 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Jay P wrote: »
    My business teacher in third year told me they're stored somewhere in Athlone or something. The schools don't correct them or anything so they wouldn't be storing them.

Tha space to store them in Athlone would be even more crazy - at least 700 times more than a school would need.
    The SEC themselves say they will supply a statement of old results for a fee - no mention of giving back old papers.
    http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=ca&sc=se
    This sounds like a mix up between the fact that it is possible to get results from past exams and to view exam papers from current exams.

Tha space to store them in Athlone would be even more crazy - at least 700 times more than a school would need.
    The SEC themselves say they will supply a statement of old results for a fee - no mention of giving back old papers.
    http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=ca&sc=se
    This sounds like a mix up between the fact that it is possible to get results from past exams and to view exam papers from current exams.

Ok, I bow down to your logic. I assumed it was a warehouse, but even that would be massive. And how could it be navigated? I guess I just passed on my third year naivety *hangs head in shame*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭-Els-

Well I was told that after a certain number of years the exam papers are all juts burned. I don't think it was 7 years, think it was more like 4, I'm not sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Every oral is not recorded. Dummy tapes are used on a regular basis. FYO

• Registered Users Posts: 83,534 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I can't imagine them keeping the actual scripts for 7 years, not to mind all the tapes of orals! in terms of practicals, we get all our students to cart home all their projects after the appeals have gone through, it would be impossible to keep all the ag science, woodwork, engineering projects, lab copies in the school. all the marking sheets are kept though.

there probably is a record kept at the dept of each of the different components though, oral, aural results, practical projects

so thats what they do at Area 51..... huh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Montenegro123

Dummy tapes???!!!
    > Of course they're all recorded, what would they do if you asked to get a re-check in your oral?????!!!!!!

i don't think you can get a recheck on orals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭annie19

All governmet dept, agencies etc have to keep every everything from letters to the LC. for SEVEN years. As its an odd nuber god only knows why it is 7 years! I don't think you can view your scripts after the appeals. However, you can get an official results form.

annie19 wrote: »
    All governmet dept, agencies etc have to keep every everything from letters to the LC. for SEVEN years. As its an odd nuber god only knows why it is 7 years! I don't think you can view your scripts after the appeals. However, you can get an official results form.

Where have you heard this? I assess exam work for the SEC and I can assure you I do not keep work for seven years, neither am I required to.
    I am required to keep the actual work six months from the date of the results in case of appeals. Then it goes in the bin, or I sometimes return it to schools/candidates.

Where have you heard this? I assess exam work for the SEC and I can assure you I do not keep work for seven years, neither am I required to.
    I am required to keep the actual work six months from the date of the results in case of appeals. Then it goes in the bin, or I sometimes return it to schools/candidates.

same story here re assessment and return of work. Where does this 7 years thing come from?

• Advertisement
Advertisement