Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcohol and Good Friday (reloaded)

Options
  • 08-03-2008 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

AH 07-04-2007
    Why do we have the same thread every year?
    robinph wrote: »
    Becasue they still force the pubs to close on the first day of the longest weekend of the year, and people will still be annoyed about this next year as well.

DarkJager wrote: »
    Modern Ireland has no place for meaningless christian holidays...

I don't drink that much myself but I really think this "law" is ridiculous.Its just a leftover from religious extremists of earlier eras who thought they had the right to force their beliefs on the entire population.I think it’s time we move into the 21st century and stop with the old way of thinking.People can still exercise their beliefs without having to force them on everyone else.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

I totally agree OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I too agree and that's not just because I'm an alcoholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,402 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

While I agree that the law is fvcked up, I think it's more fvcked up that the pubs close for one night and everybody in this God-foresaken country is completely screwed for something to do.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Lol! I was waiting for this one ... thought that the closeness of Paddy's Day to Easter might delay it, though! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Ah deadly is it the time of the year for this thread already :D

Anyway methinks we'll be stuck with this law for another 10 years or so until the current generation of elderly mass goers die off.

Possibly a bit harsh but thats how I think it'll be tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'm torn between the fact that a religion shouldn't be forcing restrictions on people, and the fact that pub workers deserve a couple of nights off a year as a holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

I know it's not your point, but it just reminded me of the only defence I've ever heard for that law "ah it's only one night, can ye not do without drink for one night!"
    "that's. not. the. point!!!"

D:<

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

poll! POLL!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

poll! POLL!!! :D
    Don't we have that every year?

silas wrote: »
    Don't we have that every year?

eh.. well.. it's, um, important to have up to date information! there, i said it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

woolymammoth, are you sure your nick shouldn't be "groundhog"? :D

it was in my previous life! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

So sad that this brought every year

I can give another example.
    Think back to World Cup 2002 and the Cameroon match was on early, maybe 8am.
    People were calling for pubs to be allowed to serve, sure you can't go to a pub with no booze being served
    Feckin major topic of conversation at the time and it should have been a non-issue.

Be thankful folks you'd don't live in good, solid bible-thumping parts of Presbyterian Scotland, you'd never last :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I'll be having copius pints on Good Friday at the RDS :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

How about we call round to our nearest P.P. on the day and rob some altar wine. There will probably be a bouncer outside the parochial house: "Sorry, you're not young enough"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

here, even the hotels shut down, and not just on good friday (which they call 'long friday'), the whole easter weekend!!
    even the office is shutting down holy thurday, good friday, easter sat/sun/mon :) 5 free days off horray!!
    who really cares that one day you can't go to the pub?? is it that big a deal really? just book your cinema tickets now guys, and count yourselves lucky that you can at least go to the local shop to even get milk, I won't have that luxury here in Norway...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Thank God I don't work in tesco any more. Every good friday people would always come in and some how not realise that alcohol can't be bought even though every area with alcohol in it is closed off and every shelf with alcohol on it has black bin liners covering it. They'd always insist that you sneak it through even after you've told them 5 times that it's literally impossible to do it (the tills won't let it go through).

[/rant]

I have to agree, it's a stupid law that actually achieves the opposite of what it tries to do. Most people go drinking on good friday for the sole reason that they can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

doonothing wrote: »
    I know it's not your point, but it just reminded me of the only defence I've ever heard for that law "ah it's only one night, can ye not do without drink for one night!"
    "that's. not. the. point!!!"

D:<

and its mad as people just stock up at the supermarket as if the pubs are going to be shut for months.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Would love to find the ar$ehole that named it "good" friday. whats good about it??

stevec wrote: »
    Would love to find the ar$ehole that named it "good" friday. whats good about it??
    It was either a Jew or a Roman.
    They weren't too fond of Jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

here, even the hotels shut down, and not just on good friday (which they call 'long friday'), the whole easter weekend!!
    even the office is shutting down holy thurday, good friday, easter sat/sun/mon :) 5 free days off horray!!
    who really cares that one day you can't go to the pub?? is it that big a deal really? just book your cinema tickets now guys, and count yourselves lucky that you can at least go to the local shop to even get milk, I won't have that luxury here in Norway...

Isn't something like 70% of the Norwegian population officially non-religious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Just let your local publican to keep the other door open for you. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

It's seriously screwed up that we can't find something else to do. I mean how hard is it to plan ahead and get cans and have a house party?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Ruu wrote: »
    Just let your local publican to keep the other door open for you. :)
    [big lad]Sorry, members only tonight:([/big lad]
    [tenner]Bar's that way --> [/tenner]:D

• Registered Users Posts: 48 mikeindublin

Dear God, to think of all the drinkers roaming the streets with nothin' to do on Good Friday. A day without alcohol, hope it won't make people realise how meaningless and direction-less their lives are!

Red Alert wrote: »
    It's seriously screwed up that we can't find something else to do. I mean how hard is it to plan ahead and get cans and have a house party?

Or, shock, do without alcohol for a day...

Or, shock, do without alcohol for a day...
    It's the fact that we are deprived of the choice due to archaic laws that people disagree with.

Terry wrote: »
    It's the fact that we are deprived of the choice due to archaic laws that people disagree with.

I have to say, it's not something I care about much either way. I'm happy with the current status.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Last holy thursday i was doing some fundraising, bagpacking in Dunnes. With the amount of drink being bought you'd swear the pubs were closing for a month. Slabs of miller flyin out the door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,402 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Don;t be silly - you can't deprive sheep of choice!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement