Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcohol and Good Friday (reloaded)

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Jakkass wrote: »
    Read the quoted post. It was said that people don't want God shoved in their face. However people are witnessing God in the open on the streets, people have to hear it. Surely there should be a lot more offence at this, than banning alcohol sales for a single day.

Then again, I respect the rights of evangelists no matter what religion they profess. Freedom of speech, and freedom of religion for all.

Yet again you respond to me until I say something you can't argue against then you ignore me and change the subject

Preaching on the street is fine but if the government introduced a law requiring to stand there and listen to him, that would not be fine. Another straw man

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

javaboy wrote: »
    It's not about lost drinking time. As a few people have said already, they wouldn't have been in the pub on Friday even if they were open. It is the principle of the thing. It could just as easily be a restriction on the sale of mars bars for one day and I would still object.

As I've already mentioned above, people don't complain when they are given time off due to old religious beliefs. I dont know about you but personally i feel the 2 days without drink sales is a good deal in exchange for the days off we get :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Holidays would still exist if there were no religion. The point is stupid. Holidays exist because people need holidays, not beacause of religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Holidays would still exist if there were no religion. The point is stupid. Holidays exist because people need holidays, not beacause of religion.

You get however many holidays a year off your company because people need holidays, the religious ones are a bonus.
    Sam Vimes wrote: »
    The government has just decided that we must pray to allah for 4 hours tomorrow. Do you support this move?

Do i get any days off in return? :pac:

I also would be quite forgiving to the catholic church derived laws too, My national school was/is owned by the church and my secondry school was founded and run my Marist brothers (although it ceased being run by the brohters in the middle of my time in school).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

You get however many holidays a year off your company because people need holidays, the religious ones are a bonus.
    So you honestly believe that if there were no religion, we'd have less holidays than we do now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I also would be quite forgiving to the catholic church derived laws too, My national school was/is owned by the church and my secondry school was founded and run my Marist brothers (although it ceased being run by the brohters in the middle of my time in school).

If some company had founded these schools do you think they should also get some laws in their favour? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

Read the quoted post. It was said that people don't want God shoved in their face. However people are witnessing God in the open on the streets, people have to hear it. Surely there should be a lot more offence at this, than banning alcohol sales for a single day.

Then again, I respect the rights of evangelists no matter what religion they profess. Freedom of speech, and freedom of religion for all.

I can walk away from a screamer on a soapbox, but I still can't buy a bottle of wine. Which I should have to right to.

My rights count as much as yours do surely?

Yes indeed people need holidays. What makes you think that if we suddenly lost all the religious holidays the government would not realise that and would not put secular holidays in their place?
    Do i get any days off in return? :pac:

Fair enough, you don't mind having someone else's religious practices legally enforced on you in an apparently secular country but many do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I can walk away from a screamer on a soapbox, but I still can't buy a bottle of wine. Which I should have to right to.

My rights count as much as yours do surely?

Actually, this isn't a defined human right in any code. Which would imply to me that any additional rights that are afforded to you are afforded by the State.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Actually, this isn't a defined human right in any code. Which would imply to me that any additional rights that are afforded to you are afforded by the State.

Ok fair enough. So the right to buy booze is afforded by the state.

On what basis does the state deny that right on Good Friday?

(a) Religious grounds

or

(b) Secular grounds

Please just answer (a) or (b) without going off on a tangent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Or c) Cultural grounds.

Things aren't either or. I don't think it's a choice between entirely religious or entirely secular either. Infact I think that secularism as an idea is flawed like any other, such as free market capitalism or neoliberalism. It shouldn't be put on a pedestal as the only way to do things. I maintain that balance is best, and that we should hold a healthy criticism towards secularism as state policy.

Because it's not defined as a human right it's ok to take it away? Are you seriously making that argument?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Or c) Cultural grounds.

Things aren't either or.

That's an absolute cop out of an answer. I'm done banging my ahead against the wall.

javaboy wrote: »
    That's an absolute cop out of an answer. I'm done banging my ahead against the wall.

I was honestly just about to say exactly the same thing except I was going to call it a brainwashed wall

Believe whatever you want Jakkass, you're fooling no one but yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭dubbeat

I think you can drink at bars at railway stations today so long as you have a ticket

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement