Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcohol and Good Friday (reloaded)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

yeah it is pretty silly alright...would keep them closed on christmas though i think ha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Don;t be silly - you can't deprive sheep of choice!
    Can't you? CAN'T YOU?

/evil laugh

Cityboy! :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Or, shock, do without alcohol for a day...
    Why ? sun rises - sun sets people get drunk, same as any other day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Dear God, to think of all the drinkers roaming the streets with nothin' to do on Good Friday. A day without alcohol, hope it won't make people realise how meaningless and direction-less their lives are!
    Since when does life have meaning and direction without alcohol?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

I like it. It gives bar workers a nite off and there's always a house party going on somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Right but hopw many of ye are willing to take the time to send an email to see about changing the law so pub can stay open ?

http://www.oireachtas.ie/ViewDoc.asp?DocId=-1&CatID=138&m=m

There you go the link to the listing off all the T.D.'s in the country,
    they are never going to know people want this changed unless you tell them
    and it will prolly take less time then reading 2 threads here in A.H.

Just tell them you want them to work on your behalf to amend
    The Intoxicating Liquor Act, 1927 Part 2, (d)
    so that it no longer mentions good friday.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1927/en/act/pub/0015/sec0002.html#zza15y1927s2

There ya go copy and paste.
    PART II PROHIBITED HOURS

[GA] Prohibited hours generally.

2.—(1) Save as is otherwise provided by this Act, it shall not be lawful for any person in any county borough to sell or expose for sale any intoxicating liquor or to open or keep open any premises for the sale of intoxicating liquor or to permit any intoxicating liquor to be consumed on licensed premises—
    [GA]

( a ) on any ordinary week day, before the hour of ten o'clock in the morning, or after the hour of ten o'clock in the evening, or (subject to the exceptions hereinafter mentioned) between the hours of half-past two o'clock and half-past three o'clock in the afternoon, or
    [GA]

( b ) on any Saturday, before the hour of ten o'clock in the morning or after the hour of half-past nine o'clock in the evening, or (subject to the exceptions hereinafter mentioned) between the hours of half-past two o'clock and half-past three o'clock in the afternoon, or
    [GA]

( c ) on any Sunday before the hour of two o'clock in the afternoon or after the hour of five o'clock in the afternoon, or
    [GA]

( d ) at any time on Christmas Day, Good Friday, or Saint Patrick's Day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

St. Patrick's Day?! :eek:

Think this may have been amended / updated somewhat since 1927 ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Right but hopw many of ye are willing to take the time to send an email to see about changing the law so pub can stay open ?

If we did that then it would destroy an ancient Boards tradition, which I think would be a great cultural loss.

Oh, and if I'm not very much mistaken, you can buy alcohol on St. Patrick's Day, and after 10pm..... The act's been amended quite a bit since 1927. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,573 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Can't you? CAN'T YOU?

/evil laugh

Cityboy! :p

Show me an Irishman sorry, sheep - with choice and I'll sheerfully withdraw the comment!

As someone said earlier: sun comes up, get sheared/drink, sun goes down.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

No point as long as the back door is open....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,817 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I know theres a group that has been growing and growing over the years in Limerick that has been arranging the Great Friday: theyve been using this lads house to hold this biggest house party of the year every good friday for the last 6 years... but last year there were easilly 300-500 people at it, so theyre trying to arrange it at a new venue this year.

or so Ive heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Overheal wrote: »
    I know theres a group that has been growing and growing over the years in Limerick that has been arranging the Great Friday: theyve been using this lads house to hold this biggest house party of the year every good friday for the last 6 years... but last year there were easilly 300-500 people at it, so theyre trying to arrange it at a new venue this year.

or so Ive heard.

Great to see the effort they're going to is paying off... what a useful waste of energy. Maybe someone should tell them that the starving people of this world don't want their stupid sympathy and money and help...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I have to agree, it's a stupid law that actually achieves the opposite of what it tries to do. Most people go drinking on good friday for the sole reason that they can't.

+1, it makes "holy" Thursday one of the busiest days of the year for Off-Licenses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    While I agree that the law is fvcked up, I think it's more fvcked up that the pubs close for one night and everybody in this God-foresaken country is completely screwed for something to do.

Excellent post.

We need to start thinking of other things to do besides going to the pub while not using the now-obsolete excuse of "there's nothing else to do".

Pure laziness and lack of creativity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

How long has Holy hour been gone since? I know it was still in place 10 years ago but when did it actually stop?

And what exactly was it's purpose? Just cause of the sabbath and remembering the bearded dude like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,817 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Biro wrote: »
    Great to see the effort they're going to is paying off... what a useful waste of energy. Maybe someone should tell them that the starving people of this world don't want their stupid sympathy and money and help...

............?

Im not religious and the only time I give to charity is when i drink during rag week. Ive contributed a lot this year as it turns out, and now im going to exercise my freedom to drink alcohol on good friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

Parsley wrote: »
    Isn't something like 70% of the Norwegian population officially non-religious?

yes.. that is probably correct, but only shops under a certain size are allowed to open on a sunday, and easter is taken quite seriously here too... so I think it's just a couple of hours on holy saturday they will open, I don't know about the pubs though, that I will have to look into :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 rolypolymoly

Just a quick question...for those of us who want to make the most of the day off col on Friday and don't care so much for this drinking law....

Do the pubs stop serving alcohol at 12am? If I decide to go out for a few drinks on Holy Thursday, will the pubs/clubs finish serving at midnight because, technically it will be Good Friday?! Or does it just carry on as normal for that night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

cozmik wrote: »
    AH 07-04-2007

I don't drink that much myself but I really think this "law" is ridiculous.Its just a leftover from religious extremists of earlier eras who thought they had the right to force their beliefs on the entire population.I think it’s time we move into the 21st century and stop with the old way of thinking.People can still exercise their beliefs without having to force them on everyone else.

never miss a chance for some good ole religion bashing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Why did they have to kill that imaginary prick on a friday? why could they not have done the decent thing and picked a monday or tuesday. Wouldn't bother me too much having pubs & offies closed on "Good Monday".

Anyway good friday has always been one of my biggest drinking days of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I say leave it! Friends of mine who work in a hotel and I (who used to work there) are playing a fund raiser soccer match that day against the pub across the street in aid of make a wish foundation. Then we'll all get drunk.

Only get to this once a year as a group. Find a house party ya's ingrates :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Its a pile of shoíte alright, maybe close the pubs on a Monday night instead/in lieu?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

religion ftw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Caoimhín wrote: »
    Its a pile of shoíte alright, maybe close the pubs on a Monday night instead/in lieu?

Or don't close anything at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭im_invisible

Just a quick question...for those of us who want to make the most of the day off col on Friday and don't care so much for this drinking law....

Do the pubs stop serving alcohol at 12am? If I decide to go out for a few drinks on Holy Thursday, will the pubs/clubs finish serving at midnight because, technically it will be Good Friday?! Or does it just carry on as normal for that night?
    yeah, they stop at midnight,

but then they do start serving midnight friday/saturday morning
    (or, at least i know a few places that do)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Don't think of it as Good Friday, think of it as National Give-your-liver-a-break Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Tbh the whole opening hours law in this country is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Dry Friday sucks bollox
    Would love to find the ar$ehole that named it "good" friday. whats good about it??

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Sure just get in a few crates the night before :pac: , Make a session out of the day for the craic :)

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement