Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcohol and Good Friday (reloaded)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

-Phuqer- wrote: »
    Yeah everywhere closes at 12.

I was just talking about this with a mate today saying it's stupid that in this day and age with so many different religions and cultures in Ireland that this old-fashioned law is still in place. I hate the way the government decides if we can drink on this day or not. It should be up to the person. For the still very religious people who wouldn't eat meat or drink on Good Friday they still have the option of not going to the pub if they opened.

I'm no way religious but it has a positive in that it's one day a year where a team of barstaff can all get together for a session. I see it as a holiday evolved from religion, like christmas.
    Also where are all the members who said prices are crazy in pubs and they'd only be buying from off-licences from now on?

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

One way train ticket to Newbridge ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

I believe you can drink if your on a train, or at a gig?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Peiking Duck

yoyo wrote: »
    Sure just get in a few crates the night before :pac: , Make a session out of the day for the craic :)

Nick

Yep. Big all day session happening next Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I'l be in England. Hope the pubs are open there.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

And people wonder why the irish are always sterotyped as alcoholics.

If you don't care for the religious aspect of it take it as a liver appreciation day or something.

Its amazing how one day without drink causes so much anger....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Peiking Duck

It is not the day without alcohol but rather the being told you are not allowed to buy alcohol that annoys people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I rarely drink for 4 nights of the week, i would like to be able to have a drink or to when i'm on holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

religion ftw
    lol Shocking law. Disgraceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭redshoulder

Wonder why only us has this law?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

And people wonder why the irish are always sterotyped as alcoholics.

If you don't care for the religious aspect of it take it as a liver appreciation day or something.

Its amazing how one day without drink causes so much anger....

it's just the principle though

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

sugarman wrote: »
    Why dont we start a protest?

BOARDS EASTER BEERS, GOOD FRIDAY IN THE PHOENEX PARK, EVERYONE BRING THERE OWN CANS..

..Sorted:)

That would be full of lulz, tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

it's just the principle though

Is that why the you will see people with trolley loads of beer next Thursday in the supermarkets :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

galwayrush wrote: »
    I'l be in England. Hope the pubs are open there.:eek:

They will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Is that why the you will see people with trolley loads of beer next Thursday in the supermarkets :p

no that's the sort of new year's eve effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

SDooM wrote: »
    I'm torn between the fact that a religion shouldn't be forcing restrictions on people, and the fact that pub workers deserve a couple of nights off a year as a holiday.

of course they deserve nights off - just sayin' that the Friday of a bank holiday weekend is not good timing.

give them some random Monday in January off instead. No one will care if the pubs close then.

I have been invited to a mate's barbecue next Friday.

The email states
    "As it's Good Friday the following rules apply
    NO MEAT
    NO ALCOHOL"

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Only an occasional drinker, am I! (Sounds like a song from a musical) so participating of the demon drink is out for me on Good Friday, as it is most Fridays, good, bad or indifferent!

However, one of the better gatherings of a few friends, I was at (and not drinking) was on Good Friday many years ago..................at the Curate's house! Tinnies were there in abundance and as far as I can remember, Manchester United were playing on the box!:eek:\\

Ah! he has since left the ORGANISATION!!!!

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    I have been invited to a mate's barbecue next Friday.

The email states
    "As it's Good Friday the following rules apply
    NO MEAT
    NO ALCOHOL"

for real?

• Advertisement

for real?

For real in the sense that, yes, the invite did say these things.

But I'd say he was only being sarcastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    For real in the sense that, yes, the invite did say these things.

But I'd say he was only being sarcastic.

Also, what nice stuff comes off a barbecue that isn't meat? Might get me some spare ribs, burgers, and some tasty to wash it down with(so it'll prob be Bulmers, maybe not all too tasty:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

MonicaBing wrote: »
    I believe you can drink if your on a train, or at a gig?

Yup, that's why the RPSI have a full train that day.

Purely to preserve the steam heritage.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    While I agree that the law is fvcked up, I think it's more fvcked up that the pubs close for one night and everybody in this God-foresaken country is completely screwed for something to do.
    You know, its funny, but I never thought of it that way.

By the way Time to Exercise that right to protest ya pack of gobs. March on Dublin with cans and bottles and get hammered. That'll learn em. Have a big fvckoff barbeque in Phoenix Park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

cozmik wrote: »
    I don't drink that much myself but I really think this "law" is ridiculous.Its just a leftover from religious extremists of earlier eras who thought they had the right to force their beliefs on the entire population.I think it’s time we move into the 21st century and stop with the old way of thinking.People can still exercise their beliefs without having to force them on everyone else.

I don't see what the big problem is exactly.

The Government is or was at the time trying to be culturally aware of the Christian foundations that were in this country, and I think that's only admirable. (Then again I am sorely biased here)

As for moving on to the 21st century? Does that mean ditching your beliefs? I would argue it means being more aware of them, and more tolerant of them within a larger society. How does not being able to purchase drink really affect you on Good Friday?

Can't you not just go and buy a lot of it on Maundy Thursday? I don't think it is extremism in anyway to promote cultural values.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

SDooM wrote: »
    I'm torn between the fact that a religion shouldn't be forcing restrictions on people, and the fact that pub workers deserve a couple of nights off a year as a holiday.

ha ha... not in my bar..

Thursday we'll close at midnight
    Friday closed all day, open at midnight.
    Saturday we're open all day and close at midnight
    Sunday open at midnight and throwing a big party

No rest :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Jakass wrote:
    Can't you not just go and buy a lot of it on Maundy Thursday? I don't think it is extremism in anyway to promote cultural values.
    We don't have Maundy Thursday. Did you not spot the IE bit at the end of Boards.ie? Wrong culture. ;)
    We have Spy Wednesday, Holy Thursday, Good Friday.

As long as we have laws which are there to placate the Catholic Church we have no basis to criticise Arabic states being ruled by Muslim laws. Pot, kettle, black.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 633 ✭✭✭dublinario

If the church was truly interested in evolving, and embracing youth today, they would not only encourage drinking on Good Friday, but they would stack churches, alter to roof, the length and breath of Ireland, with rich, creamy crates of Dutch Gold.

The pope has taken the plunge, diving headlong into the whole Youtube phenomenon. It's time to take it to the next level. I want to see the pontiff staggering out to the balcony of St Peter's Basilica on Good Friday, and vomiting a boozy bile onto the adoring crowd below, who themselves drunk, stand with heads skyward, open-mouthed, hoping to be blessed with a chunk of his holiness's 'Compassion Soup'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Hagar wrote: »
    We don't have Maundy Thursday. Did you not spot the IE bit at the end of Boards.ie? Wrong culture. ;)
    We have Spy Wednesday, Holy Thursday, Good Friday.

Darn, indeed, I knew my Anglicanism was going to catch up with me eventually :pac:
    Wikipedia wrote:
    "Maundy Thursday" is the name for this day in England. It is therefore the usual name also in English-speaking Protestant Churches that originated in that country and even in some that originated in Scotland, although the Scottish Book of Common Prayer uses the name "Holy Thursday".
    Hagar wrote: »
    As long as we have laws which are there to placate the Catholic Church we have no basis to criticise Arabic states being ruled by Muslim laws. Pot, kettle, black.

Well it depends. If the laws that "placate the Catholic Church" as a cultural entity in the country don't violate human rights laws, they are a rather different thing to countries that enshrine Sharia law such as Saudi Arabia, and Iran.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Jakkass wrote: »
    How does not being able to purchase drink really affect you on Good Friday?
    It's intolerant towards my beliefs.

Here's a thought: if Christians didn't want to drink on Good Friday, they could just not drink? Why impose it on other people who don't believe we shouldn't drink on Good Friday?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement